Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's March 1st - new SPOCK'S BEARD

Quote Originally Posted by The Letter M View Post
    I really wish they had edited their 9th album a bit to release an album that was 50-60 minutes long (like they did with Octane),
    I never agree with this, especially in this digital age.

It's too easy now to just create your own version featuring only the music you like. I'd rather the artist release as much music as possible.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What is the difference between me downloading MP3 or FLAC? I only get one shot at it,so I don't want to screw this up. Keep in mind the goal is to burn it to cdr so I can play it while driving. Thank you in advance aka TYIA.
    Sounds like you figured this out already, but when you buy a download from bandcamp, you can download it multiple times, in multiple formats. As others have stated, FLAC is great if you plan to burn to CD, since it is lossless compression - just convert the files to Wav (I happen to use FoxEncoder, but I'm sure there are many others) and burn to CDR. I always download both FLAC for CDR and 320 mbps MP3 for the portable player.

Here's a dumb question - do most "standard" CD players play CD-Rs encoded with FLAC?

I always encode with WAV.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Sounds like you figured this out already, but when you buy a download from bandcamp, you can download it multiple times, in multiple formats. As others have stated, FLAC is great if you plan to burn to CD, since it is lossless compression - just convert the files to Wav (I happen to use FoxEncoder, but I'm sure there are many others) and burn to CDR. I always download both FLAC for CDR and 320 mbps MP3 for the portable player.
    The last sentence is where I was going with my question. But, Gerhard I didn't really figure anything out yet. I downloaded almost all of them to see for myself what are the best sounding files. Have not had that chance yet,I just got home from work and I just want to goof around and watch Nascar for now. I would like to understand why the cdr gets FLAC and MP3,320 mbps for the portable player. In other words, why?

I downloaded the new Spock's Beard yesterday. First of all no problems whatsoever converting flac to wave so that I could burn a cdr, but I have never had a problem with that.

As for the album itself it is great, only 2 listens so far, but I think it might end up being the best post Neal Morse Spock's Beard album yet. Musically it is top quality and I think the transition from Nick to Ted Leonard on lead vocals is a smooth as can be.

I used to avoid digital downloads but seeing that there will be a delay in the physical cd release I decided to grab it at Bandcamp, the sound quality is superb to my ears, plus the download includes all of the liner notes , which sold it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    The last sentence is where I was going with my question. But, Gerhard I didn't really figure anything out yet. I downloaded almost all of them to see for myself what are the best sounding files. Have not had that chance yet,I just got home from work and I just want to goof around and watch Nascar for now. I would like to understand why the cdr gets FLAC and MP3,320 mbps for the portable player. In other words, why?
    My take - please correct me if I misstate anything:

- CD players generally play CDs and CDRs which contain songs stored in Wav files. Store bought CDs contain Wav files.

- mp3 and FLAC files are compressed, making them "smaller" (take up less space on a storage device, such as your hard drive) than Wav files.

- when mp3 files are created, the compression causes a loss of some of the "information" contained in the original Wav files. This loss of information results in a loss of audio quality, the degree to which depends on the extent of the compression. mp3 files encoded with a high "bit rate", such as 320 mbps, are generally considered to be very close in fidelity to full size Wav files - i.e., most people won't hear the difference, though I'm sure many can. Encoding at 128 mbps makes a smaller file, but with greater loss of audio quality than those encoded with a higher bit rate.

- mp3 files are much more practical for portable players, like iPods or iPhones, which have limited capacity, because they are significantly smaller than full size Wav files, even if encoded with a high bit rate. From looking at some of the Spock's Beard files I downloaded, the 320 mbps mp3 files are less than a quarter of the size of the WAV files, so you can fit roughly four times as much music on a device with mp3 files than if you loaded it up with Wav files.

- FLAC files, while also compressed, do not suffer from any loss of information, and therefore retain the full audio quality of Wav files. They are smaller than Wav files, but much larger than mp3 files. There are "players" (programs) that play FLAC files, but I'm not familiar with any, or don't know which ones do. If you burn FLAC files to a CD-R, I believe you essentially create a data disc, not an audio disc, as physical CD players won't play them. This is why I download FLAC files and "decode" them (convert them back to Wav files) and then burn the resulting Wav files to CDR to make an audio CD I can play in my car or home stereo CD player.

- You can also "decode" (convert) mp3 files to Wav and burn them to a CDR (most burning software probably makes this conversion automatically) but the resulting CDR will retain whatever loss of sound quality is inherent with mp3 compression. Plus, when mp3 files are created, there are often very short silent gaps at the end and/or beginning of the files, which are also retained when the files are converted back to Wav files. If you have contiguous tracks, you'll often hear these tiny silent gaps as annoying little drops in the sound, or little clicks. If you convert FLAC files to Wav, they will sound exactly like the original Wav files - no loss of audio quality and no annoying silent gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Here's a dumb question - do most "standard" CD players play CD-Rs encoded with FLAC?

I always encode with WAV.
    I think the short answer here is that anytime you burn CDs, it will uncompress the audio. Given that FLACs are lossless, it should be of the same quality as an uncompressed WAV file.

And yes, burning tracks to CDs is pretty much the same, whatever the source, so you shouldn't see a difference between WAV sourced CD audio and FLAC sourced CD audio.

cd of year right here

One guy I forgot to mention: Jimmy Keegan nails everything just fine. Playing with SB for so long, he's a natural fit and it shows.

Banned
    How are people reviewing the cd if it isn't out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    I think the short answer here is that anytime you burn CDs, it will uncompress the audio. Given that FLACs are lossless, it should be of the same quality as an uncompressed WAV file.

And yes, burning tracks to CDs is pretty much the same, whatever the source, so you shouldn't see a difference between WAV sourced CD audio and FLAC sourced CD audio.

That doesn't answer the question at all.

Will most CD players play a CD-R encoded with FLAC?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    JIF - it's on the band's bandcamp site, available for download in various formats.

Banned
    JIF - it's on the band's bandcamp site, available for download in various formats.
    Is it free? If so, can someone provide me with a link?

No, of course it's not free.

They're asking that you pay anything you'd like for it, as long as it's more than $10.

Banned
    No, of course it's not free.

They're asking that you pay anything you'd like for it, as long as it's more than $10.
    Damn!! In that case, I'll just wait for the actual cd to come out. I will buy it even if I don't get a sneak peek.

No.

I preordered from Indiegogo a long time ago, and the premium is you get it before the release date.

FLAC is great if you plan to burn to CD, since it is lossless compression - just convert the files to Wav (I happen to use FoxEncoder, but I'm sure there are many others) and burn to CDR. I always download both FLAC for CDR and 320 mbps MP3 for the portable player.

No.
    Forgive me - I completely missed the bolded part.

A couple of listens through and the stand-out track for me is the Neal/Al Morse penned "Someone's Out There Waiting for Me", which took all of about three bars to figure out Neal wrote it. As usual with Neal's music it's stuck in my brain and won't leave, the chorus has been playing in my head all day, sure am glad he added some mojo to the latest Spock's. I enjoy both bands, but Neal's music speaks to me the same as you-know-who speaks to Neal, or maybe you-know who's speaking to me through Neal which would be a kick since I'm Jewish! Oh, wait, so was He, wasn't He?

That doesn't answer the question at all.

No. You download flac, then use a converter to convert flac to wav, which you can burn to a cdr.
    Flac is just smaller than downloading wav files, so is faster. Here's a converter that is apparently free, i don't use it so don't vouch. I have a cheap ($25) piece of sw because I regularly have to change between many formats, Switch Sound Converter.

But this looks ok, looks easy to use:

http://flactowavconverter.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    A couple of listens through and the stand-out track for me is the Neal/Al Morse penned "Someone's Out There Waiting for Me", which took all of about three bars to figure out Neal wrote it. As usual with Neal's music it's stuck in my brain and won't leave, the chorus has been playing in my head all day, sure am glad he added some mojo to the latest Spock's. I enjoy both bands, but Neal's music speaks to me the same as you-know-who speaks to Neal, or maybe you-know who's speaking to me through Neal which would be a kick since I'm Jewish! Oh, wait, so was He, wasn't He?
    ISn't the song just called Waiting For Me?

ISn't the song just called Waiting For Me?
    Ya, I was too busy waiting for The Rapture to notice.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    No. You download flac, then use a converter to convert flac to wav, which you can burn to a cdr.
    Flac is just smaller than downloading wav files, so is faster. Here's a converter that is apparently free, i don't use it so don't vouch. I have a cheap ($25) piece of sw because I regularly have to change between many formats, Switch Sound Converter.

But this looks ok, looks easy to use:

http://flactowavconverter.com/
    Thanks, John. I figured that out after reading Gerhard's post a little more carefully.

I currently use software called FREERIP3 to convert FLAC to 320 mp3. I assume it converts to WAV - I don't often have the need to do that. I've never had a problem with the software, so I recommend it to anyone looking for a solid conversion program.

My take - please correct me if I misstate anything:

- CD players generally play CDs and CDRs which contain songs stored in Wav files.
    Store bought CDs contain Wav files.
    Not exactly, but for all intents and purposes you can think of it

- mp3 and FLAC files are compressed, making them "smaller" (take up less space on a storage device, such as your hard drive) than Wav files.
    Yes. More importantly, they take less time to download.

- when mp3 files are created, the compression causes a loss of some of the "information" contained in the original Wav files. This loss of information results in a loss of audio quality, the degree to which depends on the extent of the compression. mp3 files encoded with a high "bit rate", such as 320 mbps, are generally considered to be very close in fidelity to full size Wav files - i.e., most people won't hear the difference, though I'm sure many can. Encoding at 128 mbps makes a smaller file, but with greater loss of audio quality than those encoded with a higher bit rate.
    more or less true. As to whether you can hear the diff? Only your ears will know. I prefer apple's compression at 320 as It sounds better to me than mp3.

- mp3 files are much more practical for portable players, like iPods or iPhones, which have limited capacity, because they are significantly smaller than full size Wav files, even if encoded with a high bit rate. From looking at some of the Spock's Beard files I downloaded, the 320 mbps mp3 files are less than a quarter of the size of the WAV files, so you can fit roughly four times as much music on a device with mp3 files than if you loaded it up with Wav files.
    Yes.

- FLAC files, while also compressed, do not suffer from any loss of information, and therefore retain the full audio quality of Wav files. They are smaller than Wav files, but much larger than mp3 files. There are "players" (programs) that play FLAC files, but I'm not familiar with any, or don't know which ones do. If you burn FLAC files to a CD-R, I believe you essentially create a data disc, not an audio disc, as physical CD players won't play them. This is why I download FLAC files and "decode" them (convert them back to Wav files) and then burn the resulting Wav files to CDR to make an audio CD I can play in my car or home stereo CD player.
    Bingo!

- You can also "decode" (convert) mp3 files to Wav and burn them to a CDR (most burning software probably makes this conversion automatically) but the resulting CDR will retain whatever loss of sound quality is inherent with mp3 compression.
    Actually, it's worse than that. Never burn WAVs from MP3s.

Plus, when mp3 files are created, there are often very short silent gaps at the end and/or beginning of the files, which are also retained when the files are converted back to Wav files. If you have contiguous tracks, you'll often hear these tiny silent gaps as annoying little drops in the sound, or little clicks. If you convert FLAC files to Wav, they will sound exactly like the original Wav files - no loss of audio quality and no annoying silent gaps.
    That depends on how the MP3s were created.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    My God. That is really good.
    And you can hear it.