Thread: Listen to the new Hendrix release on NPR

Listen to the new Hendrix release on NPR

Sounds Good..

Amazing that 40 years after his passing we're still hearing new music from Jimi, apparently finished tracks with previously unheard lyrics and melodies. If these were overdubbed -- and they probably were -- they did a good job of keeping a vintage feel. Impressive, even though the music is nothing that's going to expand his legacy.

Jimi lives!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Amazing that 40 years after his passing we're still hearing new music from Jimi, apparently finished tracks with previously unheard lyrics and melodies. If these were overdubbed -- and they probably were -- they did a good job of keeping a vintage feel. Impressive, even though the music is nothing that's going to expand his legacy.
    I don't think any of this has been overdubbed.

Most of the tracks on the album have been released before. See the following link for detailed information on each track.

The overdubs on some of the songs were in the previous versions done by Alan Douglas. The ones on this album are supposed to be the way they were originally recorded.

I listened to about half of it yesterday before I was reminded by my "sweeter half" that there were errands to get done. The first three studio albums will always be Jimi's crowning acheivements, but I did enjoy listening to this. It was like a pleasant visit from an old friend who's now (unfortunately) a ghost. Gotta listen to the rest sometime soon!

Listening to it right now. I'll listen to as much as possible.

I heard the whole thing. Pretty damn good. Some of the songs were already familiar to me, like Izabella. I still think the best version of that song is the live one from Woodstock. Not sure if I'll get this album but it was cool to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Some of the songs were already familiar to me, like Izabella. I still think the best version of that song is the live one from Woodstock.
    I love the Woodstock version, but that guitar break in the studio one is one of his greatest, IMO. It absolutely kills!

Amazing that 40 years after his passing we're still hearing new music from Jimi,
    I've just recently become interested in Jimi again and collecting anything I can find that has SQ that, to me, is worth having. The quantity of that stuff dwarfs his official releases, including the posthumous stuff. There's even one that's devoted to the sessions/evolution for a couple of songs (similar to, I think it was 'Strawberry Fields' on the Beatles Anthology), but I'll have to look in my music folder at home to remember the song titles.
    Last edited by davis; 03-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.

If comedy albums/CDs are released after a comic dies, are those 'posthumorous' releases?

I'm in two minds about it: On one hand, it truly does NOT sound like his 60's recordings, as they are claiming. To my ears, this sounds very digitalized, and much, much too "clean". It also lacks, to my ears, any semblance of JH's aesthetic with regards to production. However, on the other hand, it is so truly great to hear some new stuff of quality - which at least half of this is. And to hear JH with Mitch M. doing something unreleased - if even only on three tracks - is priceless..........

Just picked it up, Easy Blues sticks out, no vocals jazzy instrumental, lots of bottom. Nice informative booklet, just pulled out some past releases, Valleys of Neptune, Morning Symphonies, checking some of the facts and dates. Updated sound no doubt but this is 2013. Most tunes have been around for a while, still a welcome update!

Quote Originally Posted by richt View Post
    ... Most tunes have been around for a while, still a welcome update!
    True, but based on bootlegs of unreleased studio material, there are like 50 variations and/or stages of development of anything he even dabbled with (in a studio). There's an Astro Man box set that has 3 CDRs worth of studio recordings & 3 Experience shows of SBD quality. Just contact the uploader to seed it for you. Or I can send a copy of mine.
    http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ighlight=astro

Crap. "Audio is not available".
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Bummer.