Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple-Now What !? out on April 30th.

Deep Purple-Now What !? out on April 30th.

She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Well, that sounds very good when the fanfare kicks in - maybe Bob Ezrin still has the ability to ignite the creative spark in these guys. (and not get in the way of Steve Morse's creativity)

Banned
    It's being produced by Bob Ezrin? I don't think he's produced anything as heavy as Deep Purple.

The battle rages on!
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

I've been quite fond of Purple's recent albums. I've very much enjoyed Morse's contributions and Don Airey has done a great job succeeding Jon Lord. I think it's a happier band without Blackmore. Whether they are a better band is open for debate. I know a guy who just cannot abide by Mr. Morse. I've encouraged him to spend a little time with the Morse era band but he is not being swayed! He's a big Blackmore fan so I understand. I like the guy myself. The Battle Rages On I thought was a very strong record. Too bad Richie can't play nice.

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I've been quite fond of Purple's recent albums. I've very much enjoyed Morse's contributions and Don Airey has done a great job succeeding Jon Lord. I think it's a happier band without Blackmore. Whether they are a better band is open for debate. I know a guy who just cannot abide by Mr. Morse. I've encouraged him to spend a little time with the Morse era band but he is not being swayed! He's a big Blackmore fan so I understand. I like the guy myself. The Battle Rages On I thought was a very strong record. Too bad Richie can't play nice.

Bill
    I always thought that Richie left Purple, because he wanted to do Blackmore's Night. I know he did another Rainbow album between Purple and Blackmore's Night, but my statement still stands. Maybe he was just doing another Rainbow album to close out his rock career, and not because he particularly wanted to do another Rainbow album, per say.

I suspect most Deep Purple fans have no idea what a fine guitarist Steve Morse is in his own right. They probably don't know much about Dixie Dregs, the late 80s Kansas stuff, or even Flying Colors. Shame.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I always thought that Richie left Purple, because he wanted to do Blackmore's Night. I know he did another Rainbow album between Purple and Blackmore's Night, but my statement still stands. Maybe he was just doing another Rainbow album to close out his rock career, and not because he particularly wanted to do another Rainbow album, per say.
    Ritchie Blackmore quit Deep Purple in the middle of a tour due him being a dickhead, not because he wanted to do Blackmore's Night. He left the band high and dry with no guitar player and miraculously, they got Joe Satriani to agree to join just in time to complete the tour in Japan. They initially were hoping Satriani would stay as the full time guitarist but he couldn't join due to management issues or some such. It's no secret that Blackmore and Gillan never got along and that final 1993-4 tour was fraught with difficulties. You can get a feel for it in the "Come Hell Or High Water" concert video.

I believe the reason Blackmore disbanded Rainbow in 1996 was because the album wasn't a huge success and he didn't want to be relegated to club band status, which Rainbow mostly was in the US. And I think he was just tired of lengthy tours and the lifestyle that goes along with it. So there really wasn't a scheme to form Blackmore's Night going back to the Deep Purple days. I think he knew that his time as a rock guitar god was over and wanted to explore folk and renaissance music, which he has always been fond of anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Ritchie Blackmore quit Deep Purple in the middle of a tour due him being a dickhead, not because he wanted to do Blackmore's Night. He left the band high and dry with no guitar player and miraculously, they got Joe Satriani to agree to join just in time to complete the tour in Japan. They initially were hoping Satriani would stay as the full time guitarist but he couldn't join due to management issues or some such. It's no secret that Blackmore and Gillan never got along and that final 1993-4 tour was fraught with difficulties. You can get a feel for it in the "Come Hell Or High Water" concert video.

I believe the reason Blackmore disbanded Rainbow in 1996 was because the album wasn't a huge success and he didn't want to be relegated to club band status, which Rainbow mostly was in the US. And I think he was just tired of lengthy tours and the lifestyle that goes along with it. So there really wasn't a scheme to form Blackmore's Night going back to the Deep Purple days. I think he knew that his time as a rock guitar god was over and wanted to explore folk and renaissance music, which he has always been fond of anyway.
    Oh, my bad. Btw, I am warming up to the idea of Bob Ezrin being Deep Purple's producer. I remember watching the Heavy:The Story Of Metal doc on VH1 Classic and remember Bob talking about the relationship of Deep Purple and classical music. So, maybe he can get some neo-classical heavy riffing from the boys(especially Steve and Don)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    wanted to explore folk and renaissance music, which he has always been fond of anyway.
    I think what he wanted to explore was Candice Night. And who could blame him? That is one beautiful woman!

Bill

Purpendicular is one of the best DP albums, period. Everyone should own that one. Steve is the man, and a happy, talented one at that. I'm looking forward to a new DP album and tour.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Purpendicular is one of the best DP albums, period. Everyone should own that one. Steve is the man, and a happy, talented one at that. I'm looking forward to a new DP album and tour.
    I've heard great things about the last one, but I never got it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    I suspect most Deep Purple fans have no idea what a fine guitarist Steve Morse is in his own right. They probably don't know much about Dixie Dregs, the late 80s Kansas stuff, or even Flying Colors. Shame.
    Some of them, maybe. I've been a Deep Purple fan from their early days. Likewise Dixie Dregs and Kansas. And I have the Flying Colors album as well. And all I really did was live enough years and like music the whole time. There must be other Deep Purple fans with a similar experience. I was happy with the choice of Steve Morse as their latter-day guitarist.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I haven't heard anything by the Morse version of the band I've been able to get into at all- for me, Steve is really slumming (in musical terms, not the players, I love all the Purple guys, especially Paicey.) But I never tried the last album, if I can find some UTube or something I'll give her a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I haven't heard anything by the Morse version of the band I've been able to get into at all-
    Me, neither. I didn't care much for Purpendicular. I do like Morse, though. I saw him with Kansas with his own band as the opening act. More people should be aware of the Dregs, IMO. Any time I pay some, people are blown away.

I saw the (Dixie) Dregs on the Dregs Of The Earth tour. One of the best concerts I've ever been to. Saw them on the Full Circle reunion your with Jordan Rudess too. Great but not as good (although Jerry Goodman was awesome!)

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I suppose I should revist this one. I bought it when it came out and it did nothing for me at all. I put it in the sell pile, but for some reason I've never unloaded it.

I quite liked the last DP album, so I will cautiously test this one out before buying.

I find myself listening more to the Morse-era than to the classic, MK2 stuff. I've never been a huge DP fan to begin with. I've never seen a group endure so many personnel changes and still have such a loyal following. I saw them once in 2001. When I heard they were coming to town I really had no idea they were still so popular. I really expected the theater to be half empty. I was shocked at how crowded the theater was. I was blown away, especially by Jon Lord and Steve Morse. The interplay between the two was awesome. The concert was recorded for a DVD titled "Perehelion." It's a damn fine concert DVD.

I have a CDr of Purpendicular. I like it but I don't think it's as awesome as most people think it is. I actually like "Abandon" more. I have that one dubbed on a cassette somewhere. I have a DL (that I paid for) of Rapture Of The Deep, which I really like too. The one I haven't heard is "Banannas." What's the consensus on that album?

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The one I haven't heard is "Banannas." What's the consensus on that album?
    I like it but haven't heard it in a while though. From what I recall Morse's performance is as stellar as always. "Haunted" is one of my favourites,: quite moody and orchestral.

Regards,
    Jon

Purpendicular is my favorite of the latter day band. There's also a DVD called Perihelion that is flat out one of the best music DVD's I've ever seen. I'll get the new one, for sure, although Purple are firmly entrenched in the "loudness wars". The last two albums have been compressed and limited to ear splitting levels. Not to be listened to with headphones, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Purpendicular is my favorite of the latter day band. There's also a DVD called Perihelion that is flat out one of the best music DVD's I've ever seen. I'll get the new one, for sure, although Purple are firmly entrenched in the "loudness wars". The last two albums have been compressed and limited to ear splitting levels. Not to be listened to with headphones, for sure!
    Total Abandon is pretty awesome too.

You don't know how many times I've watched Perehelion hoping I'd spot myself in the audience when the cameras pan to the crowd. Maybe they did catch me in the crowd but the glare from my bald head probably made 'em cut it out . There are parts of the concert that were cut out though. There was Pace's long drum solo that was cut out, and then there's this solo guitar thing Steve does before going into Smoke On The Water that was cut out too. He does this montage of well known guitar riffs from Led Zep and a few others then he does the guitar riff to Smoke, and off they go. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I haven't heard anything by the Morse version of the band I've been able to get into at all- for me, Steve is really slumming (in musical terms, not the players, I love all the Purple guys, especially Paicey.) But I never tried the last album, if I can find some UTube or something I'll give her a spin.
    Steve's been in a funk for years. The guy got so good that he could never surpase anything he did before, so he kept turning out the same thing over and over. I like songs from his DP stuff, but never a full album. I do believe that there's a great disc when you put the good stuff together from all of his work with DP.

Rick

I've never seen a group endure so many personnel changes and still have such a loyal following.
    Well, there is this band named Yes you might have heard of.

The one I haven't heard is "Banannas." What's the consensus on that album?
    IMO, "Bananas" is the worst DP studio album. I reach for it every so often to see if I change my mind about it, but I strongly dislike it.

You know, I really did like the new version of the Concerto for Band and Orchestra with Morse.