Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Squire: Improvisation player

Is QPR only available in two separate volumes? Looks that way on Amazon. QPR Vol. I and Vol. II

I'd rather get it all on one DVD. You can fit up to 6 hours on a DVD. Not sure why it was split into two volumes. OK, I am sure why. $$$.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Yeswave View Post
    Listen to some early show if you get the chance, there plenty of free-form/improv playing. "It's Love" from Gaellic Park '71 springs immediately to mind. A quick check you you tube found it;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBi06LSKpjY
    Good call ..am listening to the BBC Recordings 69-70 as I type . There's some serious improvisation going on between Bruford & Squire 'within the songs'. Yes's music was very much free form in those early days ...beautiful!
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-27-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Is QPR only available in two separate volumes? Looks that way on Amazon. QPR Vol. I and Vol. II

I'd rather get it all on one DVD. You can fit up to 6 hours on a DVD. Not sure why it was split into two volumes. OK, I am sure why. $$$.
    It was also split into two discs when it was released on Laser-disc some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Yeah, Trurl's post is spot-on.
    Well thank'ee... sometimes I say useful stuff by accident...

Speaking of Chris, look what just popped up on the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/...rs-yes.html?hp

I imagine we'll start seeing more of these as the tour kickoff draws nearer.

Oh, and can I get a "huzzah!" for not littering the main forum with another Yes thread?

His bass solo on Tales is really great (and most probably worked out in details), but his improvised solo on Yessongs is horrible.
    IMO he is a great innovative player, but not an improviser at all, when he improvises... it doesnt impress or move me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    but his improvised solo on Yessongs is horrible.
    IMO he is a great innovative player, but not an improviser at all, when he improvises... it doesnt impress or move me.
    Agree the bit on Yessongs during The Fish leaves me cold... his bit in Ritual on Yesshows is much better.

His bass solo on Tales is really great (and most probably worked out in details), but his improvised solo on Yessongs is horrible.
    I'm not sure if the Yessongs bass solo is improvised, but I always rather liked it. I certainly wouldn't call it "terrible". I think adjective better describes the solos played by guys like Michael Anthony and Gene Simmons.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm not sure if the Yessongs bass solo is improvised, but I always rather liked it. I certainly wouldn't call it "terrible".
    It was not improvised. See the "Sounding Out" vid linked on page 2 to witness the band crafting it in the studio. He takes the basic idea of the studio track and expands on it, weaving in stuff from his older solo performances (a bit of that Gaelic Park "It's Love" solo finds its way into "The Fish"). I agree that it's not terrible at all, and for audiences in 1972 I'm sure it was probably pretty fucking mind blowing.

I have always, and will always love me some Chris Squire. Seems to me, though, that he is exactly as accomplished an improvising bassist as the music he plays calls for. What he plays on any given night is probably very similar to any other night. I don't think I'd be too interested in hearing what he has to say on the blues, a jazz standard, or the kind of improv King Crimson was/is known for. Nor, for all I know, would he be interested in making the attempt.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Banned
    wow, the "The Fish" on Yessongs is freaking on fire!

Squire may have been a bit more daring in the early years. Particularly in 68 and 69 when they were just beginning but as time wore on I think he has become more of someone who stuck with composed lines. When Howe and Wakeman joined up I think things were tightened up quite a bit.

As for Mr. Entwistle;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPTBBnABeUY

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Banned
    I don't feel there is any reason to compare Squire to Entwistle. Both are legends and great at what they do. I don't think one is "better" than the other.
    Last edited by 80s were ok; 02-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    How about Mr. Hopper? Maybe not quite a "rock" musician, but surely he's extemporizing at least some of what we here on some of those Soft Machine shows from that era.
    Absolutely, yes.
    "Where the light is brightest, the shadows are deepest"
    Goethe

Here is a rock improviser - his solos are never the same, he also plays with plectrum and on a Rickenbacker:

Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 02-28-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Here is a rock improviser - his solos are never the same, he also plays with plectrum and on a rickebacker:

Best bassist in rock.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    Best bassist in rock.
    Nice work on the Liliental album as well.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Good call ..am listening to the BBC Recordings 69-70 as I type . There's some serious improvisation going on between Bruford & Squire 'within the songs'. Yes's music was very much free form in those early days ...beautiful!
    I really like listening to that album. Very fresh and dynamic. It must have been something to see them then. Any one still about here that did?