Thread: New Rush cover of "Subdivisions" by Omnium Gatherum

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar

New Rush cover of "Subdivisions" by Omnium Gatherum

Finnish death metal band Omnium Gatherum's new album is titled "Beyond" (March 5th). They cover "Subdivisions." The music is quite good, but I laughed through the vocals, especially when "subdivisions" is uttered.

Chad

Holy sheep. The song does adapt to that style pretty well.
    Why? is a whole 'nuther question... More fun than hearing a "normal" approach, for me.

Banned
    it's fine until the vocals kick in....really, I don't know how anyone can take these bands seriously? Good for Sesame Street though.
    Last edited by 80s were ok; 02-26-2013 at 10:45 AM.

All good - until the vocals, then hilarity ensues!

I blame the parents!

I don't really mind CC vocals most of the time but this guy? Jeez-o!

Reminds me of this

Like the music, though!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by martiprog View Post
    All good - until the vocals, then hilarity ensues!

I blame the parents!
    Yeahhhh. Same for me. 'Cept I wasn't laughing. Just shook my head not sure how to react. The singing in the chorus is ok. It's amazing how so many swear they can understand what's being said when they listen to bands who showcase the "death growl". (easy for me in this case since I know Rush so well)

Oh look, people are making fun of death metal vocals. That's pretty cool.

But seriously, this is pretty rad. Is this what the band sounds like normally? Sometimes I think I should check out more symphonic metal.
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
    Reminds me of this
    And this:

Banned
    thought that cookie monster clip would show up by post #4, although I think that's a different then I've seen

So far, I've played it for about 7 or 8 Rush fans I know & the majority consensus is that it's crap. One opinion from a buddy who used to sing in a successful Boston hardcore band in the 90s offered: "This just flat out sucks. Far be it from to bash any metal band but there was no reason for this cover to be recorded. This band adds nothing to the original. Cookie Monster vocals can be used to great effect when done properly and in the right context but they had no place here. Also if I am being nit picky, the mix of the drums was terrible, base drum sounded flat or more likely triggered and lacked any kind of life."

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    So far, I've played it for about 7 or 8 Rush fans I know & the majority consensus is that it's crap. One opinion from a buddy who used to sing in a successful Boston hardcore band in the 90s offered: "This just flat out sucks. Far be it from to bash any metal band but there was no reason for this cover to be recorded. This band adds nothing to the original. Cookie Monster vocals can be used to great effect when done properly and in the right context but they had no place here. Also if I am being nit picky, the mix of the drums was terrible, base drum sounded flat or more likely triggered and lacked any kind of life."
    I think that's a bit uncalled for. It has every reason to be recorded; it's a legitimate different take on the material. The vocals sound the way they want them to sound. The drums sound right- for that genre. Being in a "hardcore band in the 90's" doesn't buy one iota of cred with me. Most hardcore bands in the 90's were total shit- maybe not his, maybe his was the best damn band in the world but that doesn't mean he gets to say this "flat out sucks". I personally don't really like it myself, but I'm not going to dis what they are shooting for. It's tight.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JSS View Post
    Holy sheep. The song does adapt to that style pretty well.
    Why? is a whole 'nuther question... More fun than hearing a "normal" approach, for me.
    Incredible! Who knew that dyads were utterly compatible with both Geddy Lee wolf shrieks AND Cookie Monster vocals? No one has ever played a dyad before on a guitar with a little fuzz before 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Incredible! Who knew that dyads were utterly compatible with both Geddy Lee wolf shrieks AND Cookie Monster vocals? No one has ever played a dyad before on a guitar with a little fuzz before 1982.
    I meant "why" do a death metal cover, smarty pants...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Those clean vocals totally ruin it!

They should do a cover of Losing It. Or Time Stand Still.