Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thick As A Brick 40th. anniversary special edition

Oppo is also great for surround
    I just love my OPPO. (and no, I am not affiliated to them in any way).

I've always wondered if there's any other purpose to this releases other than just making money out of collectors...

Well, I'm being a bit bitter. I guess it would be nice to listen a whole new mix and remasterization of this great masterpiece. I hope it's worth it.
    Feel free to check out my first prog-rock album:
    http://iszil.bandcamp.com/album/back-to-the-seed

I received my replacement DVD today also. It is in fact the same as the original. The UPC # matches. I sincerely hope EMI will make this right.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Do you not have a DVD player? They make programs that allow you to digitally transfer the audio from DVD to wave files, and then burn to CD. It's really not very complicated.
    BTW, I am certain there are still people here (not JKL2000 specifically) who do not realize that DVD players are also CD players. For those looking for a great sounding DVD or BluRay (which also plays CDs) player, I offer one word: Oppo.
    Yes, I have an Oppo DVD player, but it's not hooked up to a decent sound system. I used to use it as my primary CD player. Also, I do still listen to CDs in the car. So sue me!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yes, I have an Oppo DVD player, but it's not hooked up to a decent sound system. I used to use it as my primary CD player. Also, I do still listen to CDs in the car. So sue me!
    I used to listen to CDs in my car until it died. That is why I told you how you could convert it to CD.

Appears that Amazon US has a second, new listing for this set available as of tomorrow (Jan 2nd). I presume that this will be the fixed set and that the original listing, still 'under review' will just be deleted. I guess I will just return my bum set and hope that the replacement is indeed the fixed set. Typical EMI cluster.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks, Jubal - I've ripped the audio from DVDs before. I just would have liked the original mix to have been included on CD in the set for the sake of the set being complete.

Hadnt listened yet to the DVD that arrived from burning shed, but it seems it is with the old UPC-
    I dont have a way to listen to it for a few days, does the old UPC mean it is the version with the defects?
    Anyone here received the fixed version and can comment about the overall sound sans-mastering?

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Hadnt listened yet to the DVD that arrived from burning shed, but it seems it is with the old UPC-
    I dont have a way to listen to it for a few days, does the old UPC mean it is the version with the defects?
    Anyone here received the fixed version and can comment about the overall sound sans-mastering?
    Hard to get clear answers on this - most infuriating. I did read over on SH that perhaps the UPC is not in fact different for the fixed disc. I think the best approach is to give it a listen to know for sure.

OK...I just listened to the replacement DVD, which has the same UPC #as the first one. This one is definitely right.
    There is the speed issue that is a bit disconcerting. That is, the album speed slowed about 2% over the course of the entire album during mastering. The 5.1 mix has the correct speed throughout. This means it will sound a bit fast to most who have heard it in just stereo.
    I haven't listened to the stereo mixes yet. It will be interesting to note if the updated SW mix corrects the speed.

Burning Shed responds: Hi Barry,

We've just heard back from EMI and have had lots of emails over the last week or so about the replacement disc.

As we assumed it definitely is from the new master and all the other comments are really complimentary about the mastering/mixing/sound quality etc.

The replacement discs have a line underneath the info on the right hand side under the word duration so that EMI could tell the difference - all the other information is the same.

Thanks,

Lisa

Had a chance to listen to my replacement copy,
    Same UPC but definitely the fixed one-
    No glitches in the beginning and the sound is so much better, I am amazed at how badly this was mastered in the first place that the non-mastered version sounds so much better.
    I guess it was mastered to sound good on ipod, which is silly since it is 5,1 and unplayable in any mobile mp3 player...

I'm just wondering how many here hate the speed correction of the album? The original release was mastered at a very slightly decreasing speed that ends at about -2%. So the second side definitely sounds fast to those who are familiar with the original.

Banned
    The 5.1 Mix on the DVD is definitely DTS 96/24, the same high quality format Genesis used on box set. Listened to that mix this afternoon. May not be DVD-A MLP, but it sounds really good. The mix is a never ending circus of sound with many sound scapes within. Just frickin awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The 5.1 Mix on the DVD is definitely DTS 96/24, the same high quality format Genesis used on box set. Listened to that mix this afternoon. May not be DVD-A MLP, but it sounds really good. The mix is a never ending circus of sound with many sound scapes within. Just frickin awesome
    I can only imagine what this does in 5.1. So, after some time has gone since the glitch was discovered,does this mean if I were to order one today I would/wouldn't need to ask for a replacement disk?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I can only imagine what this does in 5.1. So, after some time has gone since the glitch was discovered,does this mean if I were to order one today I would/wouldn't need to ask for a replacement disk?
    No, but that may depend on where you buy it from.

I love Steve Wilson's philosophy on mastering and remixing! Try to get what was on the original masters without EQing to suit the engineers taste! He doesn't say anything about compression, but I imagine he would also take the "do no harm" approach with that, too!

The way you can tell you received a corrected version is to look at the left side of the DVD. There is a solid line several spaces below the word "Duration".
    The original does not have this.

The way you can tell you received a corrected version is to look at the left side of the DVD. There is a solid line several spaces below the word "Duration".
    Great info,thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I love Steve Wilson's philosophy on mastering and remixing! Try to get what was on the original masters without EQing to suit the engineers taste! He doesn't say anything about compression, but I imagine he would also take the "do no harm" approach with that, too!
    Of course I would not be knowledgeable enough to know whether compression was used on this, however I have read that he and Gaswirt (Ocean Digital, Yes remasters) will used analog tubes to perform compression. The reality is that there would never be enough bits to compress in the digital domain without hard limiting. Non-linear processing is an art.

Banned
    Mine has a solid line under the word "duration", but it's not on the left side, if one is facing the title of the disc it is on the right and duration is under "DVD SIDE".

The best way to know you have a corrected version is to listen to it. If it sounds awful beginning at about the 5 min mark, then you don't.

Banned

Look what I found.