Thread: Modern Space Opera sci-fi suggestions

Modern Space Opera sci-fi suggestions

So, I'm a fan of Science Fiction, particularly space opera. You know, galaxy spanning stuff with huge ships and cool aliens and epic storylines. It seems like a lot of the prominent science fiction being written nowadays tends more towards the dystopian, cyberpunk or technological singularity stuff. the latter of which to me is okay, the former I avoid wholeheartedly (never worked for me), and dystopian stuff is always welcome in my book.

However, with some exceptions - James SA Corey's Expanse Series (brilliant and highly recommend, even if it doesn't quite fit my definition - I think I like the epic storyline aspect the best) and pretty much anything Alastair Reynolds puts out, I've been having trouble finding quality Space Opera.

I suppose that Scazli qualifies - he is slanted more towards military sci-fi, and I've read a bunch of his stuff, but his writing has gotten a bit tiresome to me. It seems like he can only give his character one specific voice, no matter what their age, gender or even species.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

- Jeff

Thumbs up for the Expanse series - it is definitely brilliant.

As far as recommendations, Iain M Banks Culture series delivers a lot of bang for the buck. I would recommend starting with Consider Phlebas.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

1. Second the recommendation of Iain M. Banks. Beware of Iain Banks, though -- same person but a very different writer.

2. Recommend also Peter F. Hamilton. His books are very "big ideas." But beware, they tend to be huge, sprawling things that take half a volume to even bring out the main conflict of the series.

3. Come join us on the Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature group!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

On the chance you've never read it , try Larry Niven's Ringworld. Some of the best scifi I've ever read. It may not qualify as "modern, but it meets your need for cool aliens and epic storyline along with a really big "ship". Fantastic book. As are the 2 sequels. Niven wrote great aliens, found also in his "Known Space" stories. Plus the stories are fantabulas.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I strongly reccomend Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky. Excellent books with really cool aliens and worlds, and some great characters too. I see a third one came out in 2011. I must read that!

I also enjoyed the whole Arthur C. Clarke "Rama" series. Most of the books were co-written with another writer but of course you need to start at Clarke's classic Rendezvous with Rama.

I was actually looking for stuff that's come out in the past few years - Banks has been on my radar so I'll have to consider (pun intended) his Culture Series.

And I've read Ringworld and two of its sequels. I actually just finished re-re-re-re-reading The Mote in God's Eye a few weeks ago. A classic, despite it being a bit sexist. Niven did create some great aliens.

Speaking of which, Brin's Uplift stuff is also a personal fave.

I'll have to check out the Sci-Fi group.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Jeff

Not sure if you're interested in comics at all, but Saga is some of the best sci-fi going.
    http://www.imagecomics.com/comics/4620/Saga-1

Vaughn is a good writer, and the story has epic written all over it. We're at issue #10 right now, so a trade paperback (a collection of single, monthly issues) is well over due (most trades collect 6 or so issues).

Seriously good sci-fi here. Dive in, but I won't spoil anything for anyone.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'd like to suggest:
    Charles Sheffield's Heritage Universe series
    John Varley-a bunch of short stories plus The Ophiuchi Hotline and Steel Beach are all in his 'Eight Worlds' universe, where Earth gets mostly wiped out by an alien invasion, but humans still inhabit the other planets and moons (hence the eight worlds).

Skeptrick said:
    Charles Sheffield's Heritage Universe series
    Those are the Hans Rebka books, right? Love 'em - I get the feeling he would've continued with them had he not died. Ditto for his Cold as Ice series - Rustum Battachariya is probably my all time favorite literary character. Sheffield knew how to write memorable anti-hero types.

I'll second the Peter F Hamilton suggestion as I am currently about 2/3 of the way through Book 2 of his "Void" series and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. You get the added bonus of having a pretty good fantasy story being told at the heart of the hard SF storyline.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I enjoyed John Varley's Gaea trilogy a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28John_Varley%29

DtB