Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Game of Thrones

Agreed, fantastic episode last night. I had no clue that was coming. Wow! I thought the exchanges between Tyreon and Darius were very well written and acted too.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    I was hoping Tormund would break out his own awesome magical powers...

“Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I never made the connection that was the same guy in those commercials!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    How can you want this nice little guy to die?

Lol---that show was funny from what I saw of it---and he sure is showing his acting range--then to now.

In other Game of Thrones news--sadly the girl who was killed by a lion in South Africa--(because she left the window open on the car she was in--and was told a thousand times not to) worked on the set of Game of Thrones. Seems she had a great gig and great life. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I absolutely love the show. Ian McKellan and Derek Jacobi, both fine British theatre actors who have both done extensive Shakespeare, in a modern sitcom playing an elderly gay couple constantly at each other's throats. It's very, very funny IMO.
    Agree--seeing two great actors --go at it in this comedy is very funny.

I am just a little disappointed about the subtle change in Arya's story, but I guess leaving out that one thing helped to move the story along. I just expected it to be one of those cliffhanger moments.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Wow.... tonight's episode...

Well, that sure didn't happen in the books...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    So many hours and $ invested in my cable bill, so I will keep watching, but the show is so far off the rails this year it is nearly comical.

Just like last week, when the wildlings were shocked (!) to find themselves under attack because they had no scouts on the perimeter, Stannis' scouts are taken out by Ramsey's 20.

D and D really suck as writers. Why the hell do they think they are better then the 2 books Martin has already written?

They just have to jump ahead to spoil stuff for book readers with their awful writing. That's why!

The "Unsullied" are called that for a reason. D and D would have us believe that they can be easily swatted away by the Sons of the Harpy, all pampered sons of rich men.

Then the many all gather around the few, politely waiting so they can be finished off neatly.

The show is almost becoming a spoof of itself.

Book Stannis vs Show Stannis
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I don't give a shit about the books. The show works great for me. Though at the end of the episode last night I felt like I was watching The Neverending Story or something
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The books and the show are 2 different things for me right now. I've always been a person who wants to read the book before seeing the movie version, more so I can really get a sense of the meaning behind things that you just don't always "get" in a visual presentation.

I admit, I will be disappointed at seeing the ending before reading it. Martin should get a move on with his writing or he is likely to lose a lot of sales of the last volume because the ending will be known from the show.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

From all reports, Martin is aware that the show is both catching up to him and that they are deviating (in some cases) severely from the books. He knows he needs to get Winds finished and out there before the next season of the show (or reasonably close to it). I'm not watching this season. Maybe I'll catch up on it sometimes but I've been reading episode summaries. The deviations are getting more and more ridiculous. I am usually pretty understanding in things getting lost or changed when a book gets converted to TV or movie. Hell, I even put up with the Hobbit movies. But after some of the bad decisions last season and what I've been reading about this decision, cancelling HBO might have saved my TV from getting a brick thrown through it.

Sorry if that came across as trolling. As penance I offer you this to chew on:

http://www.vulture.com/2015/05/got-c...ml?wpsrc=nymag

I just checked in at the Song of Ice and Fire Forum. Since last night there have been 72 pages in the rant thread for last night's episode. Not posts, pages.
    Last edited by Jerjo; 06-08-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

... and so endeth season five.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hot damn I didn't want him to die.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Wow.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

The show finally showed some of those things that were shockers in the book, like Arya's blindness, Jon's stabbing, Sam's leaving to become a master, etc. The show did indeed take a different route to get there, but I think both are pretty well caught up to each other now, to a large extent, with some obvious distortions but still, the major story line remains. I think the show could have spread out the shockers a little better over the season though instead of leaving them all to the end.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Noooo! Now Westeros will never learn that thing John Snow did with his tongue...

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."