Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dweezil Zappa - Hot Rats fall tour dates

Dweezil Zappa - Hot Rats fall tour dates

I'm in for the York,PA show. Should be killer!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Cool! September's gonna be a blast. I've already got tickets for Hackett.

Anyone know if there is a presale code?

A Pittsburgh date would be nice, Dweez.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

He don't even have a hologram!

Crazy! What...are people going just to hear the, um....music?

Probably going to get tickets for the VT show.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He don't even have a hologram!
    Everyone on stage will be 3-dimensional
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Ann Arbor, MI !!!

This is a cool idea and I know how iconic Hot Rats is, but I prefer the more composed pieces to the ones that boil down to long guitar solos over a one or two chord vamp. So like, half the album. I'd rather see choice cuts from Rats, Waka and Wazoo. That's just me though....

Since the Dweez is into playing three hour shows lately, there will be a lot more music than Hot Rats. I'm looking forward to the small theater show here in late summer. Hopefully there will be some creative arrangements and not just all out jams for 15 -20 minutes. Ed Palermo recorded The Gumbo Variations with horns and a shorter rippin' guitar solo and it sounds great.

This is a cool idea and I know how iconic Hot Rats is, but I prefer the more composed pieces to the ones that boil down to long guitar solos over a one or two chord vamp. So like, half the album. I'd rather see choice cuts from Rats, Waka and Wazoo. That's just me though....
    "Willie the Pimp," after the brief song section, might boil down to a long guitar solo over a one-chord vamp, but it's also one of the most brilliant, gripping guitar solos ever committed to tape. It might as well be a composed piece, as its internal logic is so relentless and its flow so seamless. I love the story of Phil Manzanera trying to play along with the record, and giving up in exhaustion.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It's funny you mention that. A friend of mine knows I am prone to poo poo jam bands that jam over a couple chords like that. He was quick to point out "Hey, this is just a two chord vamp, why do you like this?". And I was like, "it's down to the articulation". Willie is a fave, I run out of patience/gas when side two rolls around.

Will get tickets for the Mississauga concert, only 10 minutes from my place.

One of my favorite Zappa albums, among many. I'll be looking for a SF Bay Area date.

Of course, they booked one of the few places in VT where "you can't get there from here". It's 2.5 hours from my house. Might as well be in Boston or Montreal, although there will be much less traffic, lol.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A Pittsburgh date would be nice, Dweez.
    And so it is! Two miles from my house in a great small venue!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Password for todays sale for Long Island show is "PULSE" There was a citicard presale yesterday I picked up four 6th row center seats last night $105 a ticket. Saw Frank 3 times and Dweezil 2 times. Always an enjoyable show.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Password for todays sale for Long Island show is "PULSE" There was a citicard presale yesterday I picked up four 6th row center seats last night $105 a ticket. Saw Frank 3 times and Dweezil 2 times. Always an enjoyable show.
    Yikes. Here, the highest prices here are $60.00, but that is still general admission. But, it gets you in early and you can eat dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yikes. Here, the highest prices here are $60.00, but that is still general admission. But, it gets you in early and you can eat dinner.
    The tickets were $85 + $19.75 fees. Knowing I have a fantastic reserved seat I don't mind paying the $85 plus it supports Dweezil but the ticketbastard fees are another story.
    Last edited by Gladiator1634; 10-16-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Hot Rats is maybe his best known album, but it's sort of inconsistent. IMO Some brilliant tracks and some not so. Roxy or OSFA would be more appealing to sit through.

Hot Rats is maybe his best known album, but it's sort of inconsistent. IMO Some brilliant tracks and some not so. Roxy or OSFA would be more appealing to sit through.
    Dweezil has already done a OSFA tour--it was great.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Dweezil has already done a OSFA tour--it was great.
    Yes, it was. The only complaint I had about an otherwise fantastic show was the Frank impression. I'm sure I made that point before, but it's unnecessary.

The whole "soloing over a two chord vamp" is pretty much a characteristic of most of Zappa's solos, isn't it? His compositions are very complex, but the soloing is usually over fairly simple progressions with very few chord changes.

Which means he wasn't too good at soloing over changes?

The eons are closing
    Easier to lift a solo in 4/4 and superimpose somewhere else.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit