Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: echolyn

echolyn

Any news? NewMaterial? Injury update? Live Show anytime soon?

Chris, Ray and Brett are working on a new album with Jordan Pearson, the drummer in Adrian Belew's band. They have posted rehearsal snippets on FB.

Tom joined Advent.

Not sure what's up with Paul.

Mei and the windows record are two of the albums I own that I love the most. More music please. I didn't realize Tom joining Advent was a mutually-exclusive thing with Echolyn. It must be a tough thing to juggle five people's schedules to make time for such demanding music.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Mei and the windows record are two of the albums I own that I love the most.
    Mei is, in my opinion, one of the finest extended works in all of prog. I can think of few as good, and none better. Indeed, offhand, I can't think of any that combine that level of quality with that considerable length - for example, "Supper's Ready" is as good, but only half as long, and not nearly as compositionally ambitious. But Mei is, I don't know, like Aaron Copland and Jack Kerouac decided to write a rock opera.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-24-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Still haven’t heard Mei. I should probably give the window album a second chance; I was pretty underwhelmed by it. But I loved The End Is Beautiful and consider it to be one of their best albums. And I wish I discovered Cowboy Poems Free earlier; it’s way better than the lukewarm reviews would have had me believe.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Still haven’t heard Mei. I should probably give the window album a second chance; I was pretty underwhelmed by it. But I loved The End Is Beautiful and consider it to be one of their best albums. And I wish I discovered Cowboy Poems Free earlier; it’s way better than the lukewarm reviews would have had me believe.
    "Cowboy Poems" may be my favorite album from them. I find it totally unique Americana Prog, not something you find much of out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Mei is, in my opinion, one of the finest extended works in all of prog. I can think of few as good, and none better. Indeed, offhand, I can't think of any that combine that level of quality with that considerable length - for example, Supper's Ready is as good, but only half as long, and not nearly as compositionally ambitious. But Mei is, I don't know, like Aaron Copland and Jack Kerouac decided to write a rock opera.
    What he said
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

As The World and Cowboy Poems are my faves, Mei is where I got off the bus- tried to like it but hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As The World and Cowboy Poems are my faves, Mei is where I got off the bus- tried to like it but hated it.
    Hated is too strong a word for me and Mei, I just didn't care for it. I found it boring. As the World was their peak for me but I did like quite a lot of Cowboy Poems. I also enjoyed Finneus Gauge's first, More Once More. Quite a departure from Echolyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Chris, Ray and Brett are working on a new album with Jordan Pearson, the drummer in Adrian Belew's band. They have posted rehearsal snippets on FB.

Tom joined Advent.

Not sure what's up with Paul.
    Advent? In addition to Valdez?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Chris, Ray and Brett are working on a new album with Jordan Pearson, the drummer in Adrian Belew's band.
    I think you mean Jordan Perlson, the drummer/percussionist from their "Cowboy Poems Free" album.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Advent? In addition to Valdez?
    Yes, but I thought the Advent thing is a one-off gig for the NJ Proghouse weekend.
    Chad

You know better than I.

I really like echelon. Wished I loved them...
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Yes, but I thought the Advent thing is a one-off gig for the NJ Proghouse weekend.
    Fortunately, this is not the case. Tom's a full-time member of Advent and is doing an amazing job!

All the best,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    "Cowboy Poems" may be my favorite album from them. I find it totally unique Americana Prog, not something you find much of out there.
    yeah I don't think there's another album out there quite like it. I admire Echolyn a lot for not really sticking to 'prog' tropes and just going their own way. I think of them more as a "band with progressive tendencies" than a "prog band", if that makes sense.

but yeah, they seem to be busy recording another album, which hopefully should be out this year. now that they're somewhat active, I wonder whatever happened to the discarded tracks from I Heard You Listening? apparently they were gonna release those in a similar fashion to the 2012 outtakes (which were excellent), but nothing happened.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Mei is, in my opinion, one of the finest extended works in all of prog. I can think of few as good, and none better. Indeed, offhand, I can't think of any that combine that level of quality with that considerable length - for example, Supper's Ready is as good, but only half as long, and not nearly as compositionally ambitious. But Mei is, I don't know, like Aaron Copland and Jack Kerouac decided to write a rock opera.
    I fully agree. Mei and Cowboy Poems are 2 of my favorite records ever recorded, i put them in the league of Sgt Pepper's.

On a side note it's hard to imagine an echolyn without Paul Ramsey, however the news of a new album always has me thinking "i am ready to receive".

And Tom now playing in two different bands, holy cow, even more great music!

What happened to Paul? I saw E at the first ProgDay and was really impressed with his drumming.

Quote Originally Posted by AdventAlan View Post
    Fortunately, this is not the case. Tom's a full-time member of Advent and is doing an amazing job!

All the best,

Alan
    Good news for you!
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Good news for you!
    It is, indeed! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I think of them more as a "band with progressive tendencies" than a "prog band", if that makes sense.
    That makes lots of sense to me, especially after As the World, when they dropped a lot of the "trickier" aspects of their music and compositions. I follow them through Mei, which I like but don't love, but they lost me with The End is Beautiful, and never really got me back. I just find too much of the stuff on the more recent albums to be overly maudlin, and not particularly exciting like the early stuff was. I wish them all the best, they're clearly following their muse. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That makes lots of sense to me, especially after As the World, when they dropped a lot of the "trickier" aspects of their music and compositions. I follow them through Mei, which I like but don't love, but they lost me with The End is Beautiful, and never really got me back. I just find too much of the stuff on the more recent albums to be overly maudlin, and not particularly exciting like the early stuff was. I wish them all the best, they're clearly following their muse. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Bill
    I can certainly imagine if one didn't happen to like their more recent stuff that it could seem like way too much of a certain sound. Fortunately their recent albums really spoke to me. Brett Kull's recent stuff has a similar vibe and I adore it. I find it very relaxing....almost like a super chill Beatles album.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

Bill

The End Is Beautiful
    is my favourite Echolyn album. Mei and As The World are really good also.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

My more recent faves are The End Is Beautiful and the latest one, I Heard You Listening. Both strike a balance between 90s complexity and post 90s maturity.

About a year ago i was in a big, obnoxious night club in st louis waiting to see a really good Rush tribute band and whoever did the pre-showtime music on the sound system had a clue. I hear the opening drum riff to Georgia Pine and my wife whacked me on the arm and said "no way!" Not often you get to hear your favorite, criminally obscure bands music played loud in a large public environment.