Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI Generated Country Song

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post

As for AI generated music, it's a fun experiment. I'm glad researchers are trying it. But few people are suggesting that AI will replace human composers in the foreseeable future.
    The foreseeable future = 3 years.

Consider how much Big Time Music Business Pop has become entirely a formula, with the rise of Max Martin & Co., "top-liners", "song doctors", beat programmers, remixers, Autotuned vocals and the like. Where making a hit has become a matter of how many people put their Golden Touch fingerprints on it. Where half of those hit songs, at least, have the Magic Hit-Making Chord Progression: I-V-vi-IV, or exactly the same thing in minor: i-VI-III-VII. Where Toto spend most of their time on the road, because the studio work has dried up. Where even Bernard Purdie, for God's sake, has to play live jazz-funk nightclub gigs to make a living, because no one needs a human being to play drums any more.

It'll only be a couple of years until those accumulated rules-of-thumb get turned into reliable, comprehensive A.I. programs. And those will be where the hits come from, because no single human can have musical taste so perfectly aligned with the statistical average of every pop music consumer. That's the point of writing by committee, as is done in Big Time Music Business Pop, and has been done in Nashville for years - it irons out the variations in style and taste of individual songwriters, and leaves only the average, which, if those songwriters are successful, will also be the average of the public. But a computer can easily be programmed to have no individuality, and get that perfect average.

I suspect it will be a secret at first. But eventually someone will spill the beans, and guess what: The public won't care at all. It's a nice soundtrack for their lives, and that's all they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Consider how much Big Time Music Business Pop has become entirely a formula, with the rise of Max Martin & Co., "top-liners", "song doctors", beat programmers, remixers, Autotuned vocals and the like. Where making a hit has become a matter of how many people put their Golden Touch fingerprints on it. Where half of those hit songs, at least, have the Magic Hit-Making Chord Progression: I-V-vi-IV, or exactly the same thing in minor: i-VI-III-VII. Where Toto spend most of their time on the road, because the studio work has dried up. Where even Bernard Purdie, for God's sake, has to play live jazz-funk nightclub gigs to make a living, because no one needs a human being to play drums any more.

It'll only be a couple of years until those accumulated rules-of-thumb get turned into reliable, comprehensive A.I. programs. And those will be where the hits come from, because no single human can have musical taste so perfectly aligned with the statistical average of every pop music consumer. That's the point of writing by committee, as is done in Big Time Music Business Pop, and has been done in Nashville for years - it irons out the variations in style and taste of individual songwriters, and leaves only the average, which, if those songwriters are successful, will also be the average of the public. But a computer can easily be programmed to have no individuality, and get that perfect average.

I suspect it will be a secret at first. But eventually someone will spill the beans, and guess what: The public won't care at all. It's a nice soundtrack for their lives, and that's all they want.
    So, let me get this straight.

You're saying all the current hits are written by committee, according to accumulated rules-of-thumb, that are formulaic and entirely predictable? In other words, when Artificial Intelligence takes over, it'll be the first appearance of "intelligence" in the process?

Intelligence is a potential, sometimes a tool. One can use it for multiple purposes, and those purposes don't have to be good ones by every definition.

In this case, the Big Time Music Business would be using A.I. to make money, in the same way they use the current procedure of committee writing, following accumulated formulaic rules of thumb. They don't intend to make art, as we understand the term, although the "poptimist" faction of Rock Critics argue that almost inadvertently, they sometimes do: I think their argument is that Beyonce, say, is the creator of her singles and albums because she selects a particular combination of collaborators - like a movie star directing their own film and picking writers, actors, cameramen, and cinematographers, or Brian Wilson working with the Wrecking Crew.

Here is a country song generated by Artificial Intelligence. It does a great job of including every known country cliche.

https://laughingsquid.com/country-so...pFWowYEA3eXZXA

Now, let's see them generate an early 70's Yes song!
    What is this metaphorical 'door' she speaks of? No mention of heaven or trucks so i'd say they left out a few.

Good point, progholio. Maybe they kept a few cliches in reserve for a followup song. I mean, not even a computer wants to a be a one hit wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    What is this metaphorical 'door' she speaks of? No mention of heaven or trucks so i'd say they left out a few.
    Or beer/moonshine. Though really, given the true preferences of rural America, only Steve Earle could hit the nail on the head.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Good point, progholio. Maybe they kept a few cliches in reserve for a followup song. I mean, not even a computer wants to a be a one hit wonder.
    There will be a 4 by 4, a yellow dog and a gun in the next song. Two out of three guaranteed.