Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa" 2019 Tour Notes/Reviews

So from the two video links they have a hologram of FZ circa 1974 in a black t-shirt performing "Apostrophe" and "Camarillo Brillo." From the unreleased TV special I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Definite sensory overload.
    That's so they hope you don't notice that in the 'molecular changer' that FZ's body got replaced with Ronnie James Dio's!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Here's a clip with setlist I ran across on FB- https://www.facebook.com/john.oppel/...28815688/?t=60

From the clip it looks more like a projection on a screen than a hologram. My only question is, why is he so short? Is it just the angle this clip was taken from?
    Because it'just that (a projection on a screen) and NOT a real hologram.

It should be mentioned that the techniques used in these "holographic" stage representations (Dio, Gorillaz, FZ and others) don't resort to holography and the resulting pictures can't (and shouldn't) actually be called "holograms". It's a much simpler holographic-illusion effect consisting of rear (or reflected) projection on a flat semi-transparent screen without real 3-D depth, also called Pepper's Ghost effect,or "fauxlography". It's not 3-D either. These techniques were already know (and used) a century ago by magicians,etc... Thus don't expect Frank coming front stage to shake your hands... True holography is a much more involved (laboratory) process using lasers and at this stage of the art can't be adapted for bigger stage/theater use. Holograms are (mostly) monochromatic and reproducing moving subjects extremely difficult. Using the terms "Hologram" and "Holography" in this context is both technically false and misleading.

But like (many ?) of us I don't really care about the (so-called) holograms and other visual effects as long as the musicians and performance are top notch, which from the few reports so far they definitely are.

I would be much more interested by some actual reports about the announced "special guests" (Steve Vai, Ian Underwood, Napoleon Murphy Brock, etc...) : were they present (in real) on stage ? I already have my tickets for the European tour next month but really wouldn' like to be cheated twice...
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 4 Days Ago at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    Mmmmm.... very nice but not a single word about the (announced) "Special Guests". And the report/pictures of the "hologram" matches my description a few posts above. Not the strongest point of the show anyway...

The special guests will only pop up on selected shows, Mr. Krautman, but none of them are on this first leg of the tour (weíre doing a lot more touring later) - I think it was advertised that the guests wouldnít be at every show but Iím real sorry you got that impression. I gotta say though that from where Iím standing it is a hugely fun show and I think youíll enjoy it, at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    The special guests will only pop up on selected shows, Mr. Krautman, but none of them are on this first leg of the tour (we’re doing a lot more touring later) - I think it was advertised that the guests wouldn’t be at every show but I’m real sorry you got that impression. I gotta say though that from where I’m standing it is a hugely fun show and I think you’ll enjoy it, at least I hope so.
    Hiya Mike! Do the setlists rotate in the Zappa tradition?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Not yet - and the majority of the show wonít be because of the visual elements - but we will eventually be moving songs around in the sections of the show where weíre not specifically synced to visuals. During soundchecks weíve been running other material that will be worked into the show in time, but itís such an elaborate and ambitious show, we want to make sure weíre rock solid with the basic structure before we begin shifting (although the show this Monday in Red Bank will premiere an unreleased instrumental piece we havenít done in the tour yet). Many moving parts in this thing! Good news is that it gets smoother every night, the gig tonight in Rochester was a freaking blast. Iím seriously excited about this show, itís so much dang fun.

Have any dates been added beyond those in the OP? Pollstar isn't showing any.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I'm going to the show in Baltimore next week, and am looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Not yet - and the majority of the show won’t be because of the visual elements - but we will eventually be moving songs around in the sections of the show where we’re not specifically synced to visuals. During soundchecks we’ve been running other material that will be worked into the show in time, but it’s such an elaborate and ambitious show, we want to make sure we’re rock solid with the basic structure before we begin shifting (although the show this Monday in Red Bank will premiere an unreleased instrumental piece we haven’t done in the tour yet). Many moving parts in this thing! Good news is that it gets smoother every night, the gig tonight in Rochester was a freaking blast. I’m seriously excited about this show, it’s so much dang fun.
    Glad to hear it! My love to you & the band.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm with Steve on this. It's about seeing these alumni play Frank's music live, not the hologram. The amount of self righteous indignation some folks have voiced over it is.....amusing. As if they are somehow staying true to Frank by boycotting it. He even suggested the idea in his book. So...
    Some people may be drawn to attend out of curiosity about his Ďbizarre world,í and the holography. Part of the righteous indignation expressed here arises from the perception that the hologram may reduce FZís legacy to that Disney level. Iím glad if Iím wrong. Iím glad if the music prevails for those who are not so familiar with FZ.

Not sure if I'd go. The band is top-notch, of course, but the material just isn't my favorite of Frank's

I think the ratio of accessible stuff to meaty stuff is not dissimilar to that of a Frank show. Farther, Alien and the unreleased orchestral pieces are really powerful. I think Evil Prince is outrageous, and Iím happy to have worked up an interpretation of the original Weasels arrangement of My Guitar, because I donít think that gets played very often. And itís ALL layered thanks to the varied visuals and the inclusion of a huge amount of unreleased Frank improvised guitar solos, which weíre all responding to completely reflexively every night (I mean, it really feels like weíre accompanying a live guitar solo while itís happening. The vibe onstage is STRONG).

I thought the set list looked reasonably varied, myself! Some obvious choices for sure, but nobody is safe from "Aqualung syndrome" if you want to please as many people as possible and draw crowds. Which you probably wouldn't succeed at if you were replicating a Grand Wazoo band show or something (as much as I would love that myself).

But yeah, some great choices in there IMO!
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Cool :-) Yeah the show feels really balanced and well-paced to me.

Looking forward to this tonight in Red Bank!

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, Eli Noetinger, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Which you probably wouldn't succeed at if you were replicating a Grand Wazoo band show or something (as much as I would love that myself).
    Now yer talkin'!

But only if they can get Earl Dumler back to reprise his contrabass sarrusophone parts.
    ďyour ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbatĒ

Bandcamp Profile