Thread: For fans of Ni, Poil and Pinoil : Emme Phyzema

For fans of Ni, Poil and Pinoil : Emme Phyzema

Emme Phyzema is a new artist for me who I became aware of because she promoted her new album "Dispelling Differences" in the Cardiacs facebook group as being Cardiacs-inspired. Such a remark always gets my attention.

Frankly I do not think it sounds anything like Cardiacs. So what does it sound like? Really no idea what to compare it to. NI and Poil come close, but not quite. It is VERY uncompromising , eclectic and noisy but also very proggy and tunefull in places. You also hear bits of indie rock, Dick Dale Surf guitar and some death metal growls. There is great diversity between songs but the songs itself are pretty coherent. They do not just jump aimlessy from one place to the other.

Emme Phyzema is a one woman band. I do not know anything about her except that she is American and this probably is not her real name All vocals and instruments are played by her. The only negative are the programmed drums that are sometimes a bit too prominent in the mix. It certainly does not stop me from enjoying it a lot.

For a one woman labour of love this is a great effort. It is available as a name your price download at bandcamp: https://emmephyzema.bandcamp.com/alb...ng-differences

I'd say its worth a few bucks

I listened for 10 seconds and nothing stuck in mind, so I guess I'll pass

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I listened for 10 seconds and nothing stuck in mind, so I guess I'll pass
    Hooks and melodies are for softies

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Hooks and melodies are for softies
    she's great, no doubt about that. I just have to listen some more to say anything substantial.

Bring me A Shrubbery and I'll listen to it!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Look, I only want to listen to new things if they're related directly to what I already knew and thus confirm my perception of stuff. I don't want new things simply, like, because they're new or anything, 'cause all of us original fans of new things never really cared about the newness as such - we cared for exact and precise given assets as to something which was arbitrarily defined as 'new' due to some arbitrary force deeming it to be.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

And only a few months after the debut there is already a follow up album

http://emmephyzema.bandcamp.com/album/emme-phyzema

This time with mastering and some mixing by Udi Koomram.

Looking forward to digging in into this one.

mmm...
    in my opinion maybe Poil Piniol fans will dig this but not because it sounds anywhere close
    I would put this on my shelf between Gaza and Biota lol
    I only mixed the "acoustic " 2nd half of the track titled Output - it was quite an interesting experience

Wow, gonna check 'er out.

Wow, This second album really raises the bar for her on all levels compared to the debut. Tunes are better, playing is better and the sound is WAY better.

Maybe it is all a bit too dense but this 'weakness' is also the main charm. Just someone alone doing her thing completely without compromises.

Check this out guys, this is really a big talent.

Oh yeah, she's the real thing. A sick, perverted genius. As Dunno says, people should check this out.

I gave it a listen. Very good in small doses. I'm not sure I'd throw a CD on and spend an hour with it, though.

And......a video!

In which we find that her visual/storytelling/filmmaking sense is every bit as creatively bonkers as her music.

Not sure which character is her. I suspect they all are.

Here is yet more Emme Phyzema stuff: https://soundcloud.com/emme-phyzema

Bought her albums on BandCamp, burned them to CD, and got a chance to do more listening. Fascinating music. Dispelling Differences came with a "bonus track" which does not, apparently, appear until you buy the album. I put "bonus track" in quotes because it's another entire thirty-minute EP all run together into one; the recording is somewhat rawer than either of her "official" releases, without drums of any kind and mastered at inconsistent levels. But the music is still good. I sent her an email, but she hasn't replied yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Bought her albums on BandCamp, burned them to CD, and got a chance to do more listening. Fascinating music. Dispelling Differences came with a "bonus track" which does not, apparently, appear until you buy the album. I put "bonus track" in quotes because it's another entire thirty-minute EP all run together into one; the recording is somewhat rawer than either of her "official" releases, without drums of any kind and mastered at inconsistent levels. But the music is still good. I sent her an email, but she hasn't replied yet.
    I think the 30 minute bonus track "X" comes with the second CD "emme Phyzema" and not with 'Dispelling differences"

But yeah, she is quite a rough gem. I figure if she would work with some like-minded musicians that would filter out and channel her ideas a bit more she could do some really great things. It is the question if she is in the position to do so or even wants to.

Anyway; I am enjoying those two albums as they are. I haven't yet checked out the stuff on soundcloud.

Yehuda tells me she will be attending the RIO fest next week and most likely will meet likeminded fellow musicians
    I hear her next release which is actually already done is a folk album

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Already met her at RIO, nice lady.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Cool. I kind of wish I'd gone now - but it's such an expense and a general hassle. Sitting on that #$%$#$% plane, crammed into a tiny seat, for hours and hours. And I don't sleep easily, and not at all on planes......

I suppose if I flew often on business, so I had flyer's miles saved up and could just redeem them instead of paying full fare, and had learned more skills for dealing with long flights it'd be different, but it isn't.

If you run into her again, say hello for me. She has now replied to my email, and we've had some good exchanges.