Thread: David Sancious- Forest Of Feelings

David Sancious- Forest Of Feelings

Picked this up for Record Store day and it's a great blend of 70s prog and fusion. Anyone have this one? Thoughts?

I thought it was as well done and as exciting as a lot of classic albums.

I've got it on CD and remember liking it, but it has been a long time since I listened to it. I need to dust it off and give it a fresh listen.

This is an excellent Prog album, as is the companion album Transformation: Speed Of Love
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    An astonishing album by very talented American keyboardist. I remember the day when I bought this record back in 1975 and my fav track is still the title track actually, as I am a huge fan of Return To Forever school of Jazz-Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Picked this up for Record Store day and it's a great blend of 70s prog and fusion. Anyone have this one? Thoughts?

Could've sworn you knew of Sancious, though.

His first three (Forest, Speed and Enlightenment) for me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    This is an excellent Prog album, as is the companion album Transformation: Speed Of Love
    Agree both are real gems..

Love Sancious, criminally underappreciated artist with a great stretch of releases in the 70's. Forest of Feelings is his first solo, and Transformation.. After, his next three albums are excellent as well. Just As I Thought is very reminiscent of Bruford's One of a kind. True stories, is a slight change from progfusion with the addition of vocals, still excellent music!
    Dance of the Age of Enlightenment is in line with the True Stories music, Yet was an archival release due to label conflict. Sancious is a rare talent being both a guitarist as well as a gifted keyboardist. His main bandmates, Gerald Carboy on bass and Ernest Carter on drums were the perfect compliment to David's excursions in the progfusion realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Could've sworn you knew of Sancious, though.

His first three (Forest, Speed and Enlightenment) for me
    I do, I just never had any of his albums. Heard a few online over the years.

Great album...had it back in the '70's. Got LOTS of spins back-in-the-day....need to pull it out again as it has been years since I've last listened to it.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    His 70s albums are great stuff.
    Yes, I think so too, while I also liked his contribution to the Jack Bruce & Friends line-up, especially live.
    Forest Of Feelings is my second fav, after the indeed Bruford-like Just As I Thought (after all, Jeff Berlin is on a couple of tracks, while David often plays his Holdsworthian guitar-lines).

I must say that I kept on buying the albums Sancious released after the 70s, but the only one that did it for me was The Bridge.
    That's why I hoped his new one would be a return to the progressive jazz-rock of his first soloalbums.

Speaking of soloalbums, his second one, "David Sancious", is fun too, although less impressive than the others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Based on this thread, I had a listen to this, loved it, and bought it. I find I'm putting "Come On If You Feel Up To It" on repeat.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Glad to share! This is a top shelf fusion album for sure!

I've been a big fan of his third Tone album Dance of the Age of Enlightenment for years.