Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The Dearly Departed continually conflated Process with Product.
    Or in other words, he fell victim to the Post Hoc fallacy. From wiki: "Post hoc ergo propter hoc (Latin: "after this, therefore because of this") is an informal fallacy that states "Since event Y followed event X, event Y must have been caused by event X." It is often shortened simply to post hoc fallacy."

Computers and digital tools have made the production and release and music and movies attainable by the general masses. But, it has also removed limitations from creatives. It used to be that limitations of technology forced artists to make choices or find workarounds. Now, since basically ANYTHING is possible, artists aren't challenged. WHen I was watching GoT, I was amazed at how good SPX are now, when Jon Snow was climbing on the dragon. We take these shots for granted now.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

I've been really enjoying Beato's guitar videos - even though the techniques are way above my pay grade I always pick up something interesting.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've been really enjoying Beato's guitar videos - even though the techniques are way above my pay grade I always pick up something interesting.

That's really interesting. He's right that anyone who started out on acoustic guitar back in the day (like most of us) had to pick up these techniques in order to play most popular songs back then.

But do kids interested in being successful in music today need anything more than a microphone and turntable? Oh, and some software. Technique schmechnique!

As a footnote, it's sad that YT has gone on a censorship spree lately that's hit guys like him hard.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 07-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    ^^^
    I know what you mean about “Technique schmechnique”, but at the same time it is just astounding how many virtuoso acoustic players there are around these days from steel string to classical, to period instruments to various permutations of harp guitars etc. and sadly, not all of them can make a living virtuosity notwithstanding.

It’s not YT censorship that has affected Rick and others of his ilk, it is demonetization.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    It’s not YT censorship that has affected Rick and others of his ilk, it is demonetization.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the demonetization hitting RB because he's using copyrighted material in his videos? It's not because he's espousing some controversial points of view, which from my reading is what's behind most demonetization. Censorship may be the wrong word. Perhaps "the copyright gestapo" is better?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the demonetization hitting RB because he's using copyrighted material in his videos? It's not because he's espousing some controversial points of view, which from my reading is what's behind most demonetization. Censorship may be the wrong word. Perhaps "the copyright gestapo" is better?
    I think he said he makes his living doing these videos. The way to make it in music these days is to teach on the internet, not make music and try to sell it.

Banned
    Yes that’s my understanding and it extends to Rick just showing chords or a riff to a song that could be 40 or 50 years old! I didn’t mean to be pedantic but censorship is quite another kettle of fish and whips up the issue of “deplatforming” and all the controversy that surrounds it.

The issue is rampant abuse of YouTube's copyright protection system, which itself is deeply flawed. People such as Beato doing instructional YouTube videos are getting hit for using musical examples--even extremely brief ones, such as a single riff, or in at least one case a single chord--that should absolutely be protected under the Fair Use doctrine in the context of an educational video. And the entities that are making the claims have no obligation to prove to YouTube up front that they are the legitimate copyright owners. There are plenty of horror stories out there of copyright claims being made on original musical content. And in order to protest an unfair copyright claim, video makers have to appeal not to YouTube, but to the entity that made the claim in the first place...which is insane. It's the high-profile channels like Beato's that are taking most of the hits, as the goal is absolutely not protection of the copyrighted material, but rather hijacking the income from the video monetization system.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

i've seen enough of his videos to trust his opinion.

There's no doubt that Rick is a very knowledgeable professional musician, his videos are allways well made and instructive and and I watched (most) of them with much interest. My first impressions were very positive till I came across his videos about perfect pitch showcasing his son Dylan which left me with a very unpleasant feeling. Watching this well-trained kid mechanically (but perfectly) naming the right notes with blank stare I couldn't help but think : "poor kid !" (not to speak of his little sister who does NOT have perfect pitch, shame on her !) He looked neither happy nor fulfilled for a child of his age. In these videos I realized that RB got a bit of an ego and is sometimes on the verge of aggressiveness to prove his point(s). This circus sideshow was painful and embarrassing enough for me to never come back watching his videos again. Thus, it's a big "nay" for me.

C'mon Rick, there are MANY much more important things in life than perfect pitch ! (and PLEASE leave your children out of this)
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 07-22-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    There's no doubt that Rick is a very knowledgeable professional musician, his videos are allways well made and informative and and I watched (most) of them with much interest. My first impressions were very positive till I came across his videos about perfect pitch showcasing his son Dylan which left me with a very unpleasant feeling. Watching this well-trained kid mechanically (but perfectly) naming the right notes with blank stare I couldn't help but think : "poor kid" (not to speak of his little sister who does NOT have perfect pitch, shame on her !) In these videos I realized that RB got a bit of an ego and is sometimes on the verge of aggressiveness to prove his point(s). This circus sideshow was painful and embarrassing enough for me to never come back watching his videos. Thus, it's "nay" for me.

C'mon Rick, there are MANY much more important things in life than perfect pitch !
    Agreed about perfect pitch being fairly unimportant in the scope of music (I have PP as well), but that is only one or two videos out of a whole slew of some fantastic and passionate clips. Does he really warrant a "nay" from that alone?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Agreed about perfect pitch being fairly unimportant in the scope of music (I have PP as well), but that is only one or two videos out of a whole slew of some fantastic and passionate clips. Does he really warrant a "nay" from that alone?
    Maybe I'm overly sensitive but I can say I was actually truly shocked by these R.B PP videos and I can no longer see him the same way since. It's not definitively "nay" but it might take some time before I change my mind.

I didn't get any of those weird vibes from the perfect pitch videos. I got the idea that this was actually a way in which RB connects with his son. To be honest, I wondered if his child is on the spectrum.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I didn't get any of those weird vibes from the perfect pitch videos. I got the idea that this was actually a way in which RB connects with his son. To be honest, I wondered if his child is on the spectrum.
    Well, Rick is obviously VERY proud of the performance of his son Dylan, which is not bad in itself. (though putting such pressure on a young child could have some adverse effects on the long run). Actually I'm much more concerned by his poor little sister who does NOT have perfect pitch and will be (consciously or not) considered as "flawed" by his father for whom PP is seemingly the most important thing in life. I'm no psychologist but it's a well know fact that even small children can suffer badly from being considered as inferior (or second rate) by their parents when put into such competitive situations and this is definitely NOT a good thing as far as education is concerned. I could (hopefully) be wrong but what I've seen in the PP videos so far tends to confirm my impressions, and Rick's somewhat shouting aggressive tone in these videos really doesn't help.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 07-23-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Actually I'm much more concerned by his poor little sister who does NOT have perfect pitch and will be (consciously or not) considered as "flawed" by his father for whom PP is seemingly the most important thing in life. I'm no psychologist [...]
    But you apparently are a mind-reader, since you somehow know that Rick will "(consciously or not)" consider her to be "flawed".

Some serious assumptions are being made here, and conclusions being jumped to as well. After all, I mean, because perfect pitch is the most important thing in life according to Rick Beato. Right?

I admit it - I have no idea if Dylan is on the spectrum or not. But we also have no way of knowing what other interactions between Rick and his children are happening off camera. It's quite possible there are other things happening to boost his daughter's self esteem that have nothing to do with music and fit her interests more directly. And, not knowing the personalities of those involved, it's pretty hard to say if Dylan experiences damaging levels of pressure.
    <sig out of order>

First thing I heard/saw from RB was the perfect pitch videos with the kid and yes it was weird but I went on to check out the rest and I've been enjoying them especially when he isolates tracks in famous songs. How the hell does he do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Please mind that Beato does not claim that the only valid method/format for recording is analogue/vinyl and all worthwhile music ended in the 70s. He focuses on what actually went wrong with (commercial) music production, which hopefully will help you rethink your position.

I mean, I understand your calls for a return to organic unprocessed sound, even if I do not have any problem with finding modern (live) recordings that follow your guidelines. Generally I have rarely cared for studio-(over)doctored music, with or without computers, prog or otherwise, contemporary or archival, and I have never experienced any shortage of organic (live) recordings of all eras and styles.

I know that you would like to have musicians locked again in expensive analogue studios, recording a gazillion of takes and then spending days on cutting&splicing the tapes, to produce a Frankenstein masterpiece like Close to the Edge, but it's highly unlikely to happen again. They'll keep using modern tools instead and all you can count on is that they just don't misuse them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    That is the very essence of the thread. Many of us were probably wondering how the OP would use his question to further his typical agenda. Now we know.

I agree with Beato on a technical level, but for ROCK music, I hardly think autotune and quantization are responsible for "ruining" the genre. To me, the biggest offender in modern rock music is the dreadful compositions that focus on the lowest common musical denominator - the big, hook laden, simplistic chorus. Compared to this, I could give a rats ass about quantizing and autotune. Taking those out of the equation won't save those songs. Heat of the Moment has wild tempo fluctuations (that often get criticized here), but eliminating them won't make that a great song. It's still pop-rock dog food, hardly better than the stuff we criticize for being quantized and autotuned.

By all means, get rid of quantization. Get rid of autotune. But if you think that alone will "save" rock and roll, or the songs that are heavily quantized and autotuned, you're nuts.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by fictionmusic View Post
    Having said that I do admit to recording a LOT of my own music track by track. The Diagramma album V1 is me playing everything and I know Bob Drake does it a lot on his tunes too. I think why his sounds so organic (and I would flatter myself and say the same about mine) is that the composer is the performer and all of the parts are already in their heads, PLUS, each take alters slightly to accommodate rogue elements that develop along the way. The fact that the producer is recording the stuff also take a lot of pressure off each part unlike a lot of meticulous music that sounds like the performer is worried they will get the sack if they don't get the part mechanically perfect (think Steely Dan or Toto or, ESPECIALLY Uzeb).

I was in band in Ottawa that absolutely slayed live but the recorded albums were stiff and stressy. The composer was happy, but the songs, although probably closer to his vision originally, sounded so much better when they were performed as an ensemble with each player having autonomy over their performance and all the performers melding into a cohesive whole. I actually quit the band as a result and am happily working with them again as they slowly realized I may have a point. The perfect studio albums are interesting to listen to once, but have no legs, whereas videos of the live performances do incredibly well on youtube.

I have records from the the past that were recorded in the studio in one pass. I enjoy then FAR more than the heavily edited, heavily auto-tuned, heavily quantized stuff of today. Going to a session these days is a terrible gig. You play the verse once, the chorus once and then loop it over. I seldom ever hear the song in an entire form, so that particular magic you get when you hit the last chorus after having played the whole tune is absolutely missing.
    These are fantastic observations. Thanks for sharing!

New one!

Here is a way more important video by Rick, and one that has me on the Bach Train currently.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Here is a way more important video by Rick, and one that has me on the Bach Train currently.

Gm7#5
    I could not agree more. It was groundbreaking to have presented that, and like Rick says, it's not in Mozart or Beethoven. 150 years ahead of "his" time.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Who is he?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Who is he?
    Bach?

Who is he?
    I think he means Beato? He's a guitarist and retired record producer living in Atlanta. Originally from Rochester, NY. I enjoyed that Bach presentation and as he said, check out the Gardiner documentary. It goes into much greater detail about Bach's life and music.

His talk on the Lady Gaga lawsuit is a brilliant takedown of why pop music mostly sucks today.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Who is he?
    His "journey":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ_yGc_fbs4

"This a story that like the one in "Fortunes of Hard Work" most people even my close friends don't know about me. It is the story of how I rediscovered Rock Music in my late 20's and how the journey took me to creating this channel. This is my 24 year overnight success story."
    Last edited by TCC; 08-15-2019 at 01:25 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.