Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peter Gabriel 4 (Security) - Overlooked or quietly respected?

This is my favorite PG album as well. Kiss of Life really sucks though, but the rest is so great that I can blissfully ignore it...
    Mahtrak Progressive Jazz Rock - www.mahtrak.com

Aww, I love "Kiss Of Life"! It's so jubilant! And that percussion track, man...

'The Family And The Fishing Net' is the song I've struggled with...a bit meandering, IMHO. Others rate it as a favourite.

I think that some of his best solo work is here though. A very different sound to III (my own favourite of his albums).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's mentioned as many people's fave so I don't think it's underrated. I like III a lot more, but IV is great.
    PG top album in Gnosis average 10.53;
    but in RYM Lists it as their second-last 80's album (Passion included), with only Birdy faring worse;
    as for PA, it ranks fourth or fifth after 3, Passion, Up and Live ....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

This and III swap for my fave depending on my mood. III scratches the "angular and edgy" itch while IV feeds my need for "dark and monumental".

I was transitioning out of high school when both albums happened. Down in SoCal, III was really only getting radio play on the local alternative station (KROQ.) But it was IV that really helped break PG into the mainstream. What was kind of cool was that most people my age at the time didn't know he'd ever been in Genesis so he was appreciated entirely on his own merits.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My fav PG album. Not a huge fan of 'Family and the Fishing Net' but the rest of the album is stunning. When you hear when someone spends so much time producing the album, it sets up red flags. Sometimes the artist ends up sucking the life out of the album. PG is not one of those guys. This album sounds spectacular. Luckily was able to see him twice on this tour. At the Palladium, he and his band entered from the back of the theater and I was lucky enough to be on the end of the aisle. Of course I gave Pete and the boys a pat on the back.
    Last edited by Tangram; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:20 PM.

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    I agree with the above. For me this is his seminal album. Saw the supporting tour at the Warner Theatre in DC back in the day and it was powerful. San Jacinto is a masterpiece in my book - I never knew that sound was a sample of him blowing on a drainpipe in a dump! Thanks for posting that doc Interbellum!
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    San Jacinto is brilliant. I used to run to it with a Walkman (tape) and I kept hearing Silent Central (lol). I love every track from the Album and like the World influence on this music. With the exception of his first tour, I never missed a PG show - they were all tremendous. I rank III above IV but I think there is lots of strong material in all of Gabriel's catalog. I also think Up is underrated an a return to exploring cutting edge and denser material. Despite its pop learning, So is also an excellent album with several standout tracks, Mercy Street being my favourite.

My fav PG album by far at this point. This album and "Three of a Perfect Pair" were revolutionary for me as a teenager and shaped my musical tastes from then on. Strangely, this is the only full PG album I still enjoy, while I still love all of the KC studio albums.

Interesting how many sounds that would define the 80s (for better or worse...mainly worse in lesser hands!) are to be heard on III and IV.

So (yes, honestly!) is my 2nd favourite PG album. IV would probably be my 3rd.
    Last edited by JJ88; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The tour for this album also afforded Gabriel a lot of opportunity for interesting stagecraft - entering with the band from the back of the theater, crowd surfing, the mirror that he held up reflecting a light into the crowd, swinging from bars like an ape. It was a pretty cool show.
    In the Richard Macphail book he describes how that went wrong at one concert...he did his usual entrance from the back, worked the crowd, and then went through a double door to get to the stage. Except it was the wrong door and the doors locked. It took a fair bit of time to get onto the stage.

Very Spinal Tap.

Used to have this on vinyl, didn't like it at all. Now sold.

1st 3 are my faves with this close behind. After that, not so much.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by MrXindeed View Post
    PG4 was huge when it came out. Hardly overlooked.
    The one that gets overlooked imho is 1 (Car).
    BTW the album titles in order are. 1 (Car), 2 (Scratch), 3 (Melt). After that they had titles although at the time 4 had a sticker on the plastic wrap calling it Security. Because it was such a huge album the record company insisted it having a title, so PG allowed the sticker. Like I said, hardly overlooked.
    Security! Only in the USA?
    In sweden it had no title!

Quote Originally Posted by olivetti View Post
    Security! Only in the USA?
    In sweden it had no title!
    In The Netherlands it didn't have a title as well. The German version has Deutsches Album as some kind of title.

As with his previous three albums, the album had no title other than Gabriel's name. In the United States and Canada, his new label Geffen Records issued the album, with Gabriel's reluctant agreement, with a Security sticker on top of the shrink-wrap to differentiate it from his previous releases, and this title was also printed on the labels. Whilst Gabriel provided the title himself, the album was officially known as Peter Gabriel in other territories. As a result, it is known by fans as Security or Peter Gabriel 4.

This was the last album by Gabriel to be titled Peter Gabriel until the 2008 compilation album released covermounted onto The Mail on Sunday.[15]

Mask
    Scratch
    Melt
    Car

That's how the early PG goes for me. That's not to say that Melt isn't a great album, I just really like the under appreciated Scratch

Family and the Fishing Net drags a bit and Wallflower is Biko Part 2, but side one is brilliant. I saw the tour at the Glasgow Apollo, one of the best concerts I ever saw. Peter came on at the very end to do a solo 'Here Comes The Flood', tripped up halfway through, apologised: "that was what is commonly called a mistake", and started again from the beginning. One of the first uses of VariLights at a concert, fascinating to watch.

I still like the 3rd album better, but "Security" is a solid effort. I actually like some of the live versions of the songs on "Plays Live" a bit better than their studio counterparts, but maybe it is because I saw the tour and it remains one of my top 5 concerts ever.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That would be PG3, but he took things even further on PG4. Being all digital and heavily based on the Fairlight, the album sounds a bit cold to me. The only weak spot is Kiss of Life which tellingly isn't even mentioned in Valen's notes.
    I also have a soft spot for the remix of I Have theTouch which appeared on the Sledgehammer single and the Shaking the Tree compilation: with extra drums by Simon Phillips, it sounds more organic and less robotic than the original.
    Couldn't agree more about the Simon Phillips drum overdub. Love Marotta's work, but the drums on Security are a little stiff for my taste (with the exception of the Ekome Dance Company on "Rhythm of the Heat" of course) ...

Anyway, great material, great album.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Couldn't agree more about the Simon Phillips drum overdub. Love Marotta's work, but the drums on Security are a little stiff for my taste (with the exception of the Ekome Dance Company on "Rhythm of the Heat" of course) ...

Anyway, great material, great album.
    Agree with all of the above here.

I also agree on that particular later 'I Have The Touch' mix being superior.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXindeed View Post
    PG4 was huge when it came out. Hardly overlooked.
    The one that gets overlooked imho is 1 (Car).
    I agree that "Wet Car" is his album that is overlooked at the present day.

I'd personally say the second album is perhaps the most 'overlooked' but that doesn't seem unjust either- not one of my favourites. (I enjoy about half of it but the other half is some of his weakest work IMHO.)

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The only weak spot is Kiss of Life which tellingly isn't even mentioned in Valen's notes.
    Oh, I like Kiss Of Life. Every track on that album is a winner for me - I just didn't want my piece to get too bogged down in a track by track analysis. I prefer to go for something that's short and sharp, that people can enjoy in those brief moments when they're browsing.

But it's been interesting to read everyone's reactions to the album and the differing opinions. And thanks to the dude who posted the link to the documentary!