Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are your stumblig blocks to finishing a song?

Thanks! Trust me, both my CD's are like that. This one is from my upcoming CD "Fantasizer!" which will be released in January.

Check out "No Pride" ( Ernie ) if you like this kind of stuff! We write the same ....

I will do that.. I just have to keep my head in the prog game. But yeah, Ernie- I have heard about your music, and I'd like very much to hear what you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    Check out "No Pride" ( Ernie ) if you like this kind of stuff! We write the same ....
    Thanks, Dean! (Dean and I have sort of established a mutual admiration society. I think his stuff has a little more metal in it and mine has a little more jazz, but we're basically cut from the same cloth... except his stuff is awesome!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I will do that.. I just have to keep my head in the prog game. But yeah, Ernie- I have heard about your music, and I'd like very much to hear what you have done.
    Well, Soundcloud removed my submissions from my band's album because they were concerned about the label it was on owning rights. They don't (in fact the only thing they ever did was give me a bar code), but I never got around to correcting the problem. Anyhow, somebody posted a few tracks from the album on YT. This one's the opener (disclaimer: YT's compression screwed up the dynamics; the first minute is supposed to be softer than what follows, but the limiting here made the soft parts louder and the loud parts softer. But you'll get the general idea):

Nice! I'll squeeze one from each of you into my collection and we'll go from there. When is Fantasizer being released?

FYI, I just bought the 3 disk set of Glass Hammers Inconsolable secret, so I have to wait a couple weeks for new expenditures.

Yodelgoat,

Thanks for your interest in 'our' music! Fantasizer! won't be released until January at the latest, "Unsettled" and "Imposing Elements" are currently available - all over, bandcamp, CD Baby, Amazon, and other retailers.

Thank you!

Yodelgoat,

Thanks for your interest in 'our' music! Fantasizer! won't be released until January at the latest, "Unsettled" and "Imposing Elements" are currently available - all over, bandcamp, CD Baby, Amazon, and other retailers.
    Thanks, indeed!

My band's (Bad Dog U) one and only album can be found at CD Baby and iTunes. Greg Walker at Syn-phonic records may still have copies too, I don't know.

Dean, looking forward to "Fantasizer!"

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Thanks, Dean! (Dean and I have sort of established a mutual admiration society. I think his stuff has a little more metal in it and mine has a little more jazz, but we're basically cut from the same cloth... except his stuff is awesome!)

Well, Soundcloud removed my submissions from my band's album because they were concerned about the label it was on owning rights. They don't (in fact the only thing they ever did was give me a bar code), but I never got around to correcting the problem. Anyhow, somebody posted a few tracks from the album on YT. This one's the opener (disclaimer: YT's compression screwed up the dynamics; the first minute is supposed to be softer than what follows, but the limiting here made the soft parts louder and the loud parts softer. But you'll get the general idea):

no EXCEPT about it, Ernie. your stuff is pretty awesome too, imho

K

P.S: really enjoyed your tracks too, Dean
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

So, No more Bad Dog U releases planned? - Are you still recording?

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    no EXCEPT about it, Ernie. your stuff is pretty awesome too, imho
    I'm sure I've said it before, but coming from you, that means a lot to me, Kim! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    So, No more Bad Dog U releases planned? - Are you still recording?
    Nope. I euthanized BDU not too long after the album came out. I don't want to bore you (or anybody else) with the details; suffice to say that it was getting harder and harder to keep it going for various reasons. But the band was around for almost 18 years and in our heyday, we were fairly active (in the Chicago area anyway); playing at least once a month, sometimes more than that. I have a guy converting some old cassettes of the band (some live and some in the studio) to digital files and if it doesn't sound too horrible, I might consider releasing something archival. We had plenty of tunes that didn't make it to the album.

I do record for others sometimes, but I haven't recorded any of my own stuff in almost 10 years... which bums me out, now that I think of it!

Principle stumbling blocks to the finishing of a song? In my case it's a distinct lack of time to work on music, coupled with the attention span of a gnat. For example, I've been working on a new 12-stirng piece recently, where I'm trying to give it a Bach-like quality through the use of shifting bass-notes over higher octave pedal tones. Every time I sit down to work on it I manage to improvise beautiful sounding passages that I'm then incapable of reproducing. Recording it wouldn't help, as I'm far from convinced I'd be able to remember the fingerings I'd used when playing. I could film myself, but then I'd have to suffer the ignominity of watching it back. The piece is slowly evolving, but it's taking an absolute age...

Stumbling block? Kick Drum mixing........I have been using a Yamaha Kick Drum Sample (two actually) and I want it to punch more....but I keep getting it sounding like a Metallica bass drum and I am not happy with it...... I want "Click" in the bass drum, just not like Lars...I have tried shaping the EQ (both Parametric and Para-graphic) a number of ways and I am not achieving the desired result. Conversely, I have tried a few other samples, including a Sonor kick from a kit I downloaded years ago and an early 70s Ludwig kick from that sampled set that his been floating around the internet since the dawn of time and I still cant seem to get what I want there either. What is the secret to getting "punch/stab" in a kick drum without sounding like Metallica?......Maybe you guys can help, Here is here is a quick Rough Mix of something I am working on (...I'll spare you the eight minute length of the song ).....Everything is programmed BUT the bass parts, which I played...No loops either: just layers of multi-samples, including the guitars which are also multi-layered one shots with a sample/strum guitar VSTi mixed in. The drums are a layered Yamaha sample one-shot set
    (Thanks in advance)
    http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/126...orx001DRFa.mp3
    Last edited by klothos; 07-03-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Maybe you want to get a sample of the beater hitting the drumhead and combine the two into a new sample.

Maybe you want to get a sample of the beater hitting the drumhead and combine the two into a new sample.

Wow! that is not only an excellent idea but a <forehead> slap for myself: just like mic'ing an acoustic bass drum from both the inside and out. Thanks!

I tried for six months to get a good acoustic Kick sound - including using a 10 inch woofer as a mic to try to beef up the low end. I finally wound up triggering it through my DM5 drum module. Where there are about 20 different kicks to choose from. I found a few I could work with, and I'm happy, but I still have this dream in the back of my mind, of being able to just use the kick. It seems to be the hardest thing to get right. It always seems to need so much EQ'ing that its almost out of bounds...