Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I still want to buy CDs, but...

I still want to buy CDs, but...

...they are becoming too expensive, for me. Case in point: The new Snarky Puppy album, Immigrance came out yesterday. Now, I like album artwork, liner notes, other bits of info or extras you can get with physical product, as many others do on this site. But, especially living in Canada, with exchange rates, and increased postage costs being less than optimal, this is what usually happens. I go to the web site. The CD is listed at $11.99. So far so good. Now convert that to Canadian dollars. Now I'm up to $16 dollars. Still not too bad. Then comes the kicker. Postage is over $10. Convert that to Canadian and add it to the price, and whatever taxes are involved, and suddenly I am up to around $33!

Suddenly, that $11.99 doesn't seem so good. This is why I have switched almost exclusively to bandcamp downloads. The only exception would be, if a band is touring with their new CD in tow. If I can buy direct from the band, it is much cheaper and I can support them in person, and put money in their hands.

Anyone else have a similar story?

neil

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Sounds like you are complaining about postage rates, not CD costs.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Are there no music stores near you that you could purchase CDs that you like? I have one cd store in a farmers market which is not too far from me that stocks a lot of stuff that I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You're right, of course, Steve. To be honest, I'm not really complaining, as I have settled quite comfortably into the bandcamp download world. It is easy, and efficient, and saves a hell of a lot of storage space. And if I really want to look at the cover, I can click on the file.

neil

Not a Good Sign's last album was not carried by domestic US vendors (still not clear why they wouldn't ship some to the three major US Prog vendors). Had to order from the band, and wound up paying nearly $30 US for it with postage. I'll do this on occasion with a band I like a lot or a CD I really want badly. But if this becomes the trend, then I'm out too.

I refuse to pay for digital downloads, nor will I download an album illegally, unless it is an older release that is either OOP or never released on CD. In rare cases, I'll download an album offered for free by a band (Oakensham's second album, for example - which I rarely play because I'm just not set up to easily play files on my stereo). But I'm just not going down the road of buying files, and if that's the only medium for new music, then I'm OK passing on it.

With the Snarky Puppy, I'd wait a bit and see if a domestic (Canadian) vendor carries the album. They're a big enough name that this seems likely to me, but it may take a little time to get to those vendors.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    CD purchases for me are only when I can't get it as a download or I'm at a gig. It's purely a space issue for me, if I still had room I'd be all CD.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

HMV (Under Canadian ownership now) in the UK has this for 9.99 GBP. I was going to get it today, but already splurged a fortune on the new Cinematic Orchestra and Comet is Coming albums.

9.99 is a good price for a CD, IMHO. I remember paying that much in 1989 for new releases.

I still like buying CDs but they're difficult to find in stores. I still prefer the physical product but not interested in downloads or vinyl. The only brick and mortar store I visit is Barnes and Noble. The CD selection is abysmal (and yet their vinyl selection keeps growing).

I realized about a year or so ago, I've got the biggest selection of music in the world in my hands.....Youtube. Every album I've ever wanted to hear, past and fairly recent is there.

i have also (primarily) stuck with CD's over downloads, and i'm trying to figure out why. when i buy a CD, pretty much the first thing i do is rip it to my computer so that i have access to it no matter where i am (as long as my phone has signal). in fact, the act of copying the CD to the computer is probably the only time the disc goes in the player. and i rarely open the packaging after the initial purchase to look at credits/pictures/lyrics.

so...the only thing that i can think of is that i know that if i go down the road of download's, i've opened the floodgates. it is just too easy to spend my (finite) supply of money. purchasing a CD these days for me is (almost always) done at shows. so that keeps me from draining my bank account - and then getting a divorce.

question: i'll use the latest Discipline album as my test case. https://lasersedge.bandcamp.com/albu...-wine-dark-sea
    the physical disk is 14.50
    shipping is 3.00
    tax...not sure
    download: 9.00

i would save $8.50 (or more) on the download. does the artist make more money on the $9 download or the $14.50 physical purchase? if it is pretty much even (or in favor of the download), then i'd just about be in financial position to purchase a second download - and support a second musician.

anyone know?

thanks,

ken
    Last edited by kenschwartz; 03-16-2019 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I still like buying CDs but they're difficult to find in stores. I still prefer the physical product but not interested in downloads or vinyl. The only brick and mortar store I visit is Barnes and Noble. The CD selection is abysmal (and yet their vinyl selection keeps growing).

I realized about a year or so ago, I've got the biggest selection of music in the world in my hands.....Youtube. Every album I've ever wanted to hear, past and fairly recent is there.
    The Artist thanks you[emoji54]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who finds "gems" for a buck in thrift stores? DVD's are $2

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Not a Good Sign's last album was not carried by domestic US vendors (still not clear why they wouldn't ship some to the three major US Prog vendors). Had to order from the band, and wound up paying nearly $30 US for it with postage. I'll do this on occasion with a band I like a lot or a CD I really want badly. But if this becomes the trend, then I'm out too.
    Was that the limited thingy in the 'ice' packaging? IF SO, we did not carry it because the wholesale price to us was $22 or something like that and I was not going to bring it in having to pay that much for a fragile package that might get smashed on the way to us.

nuh-uh.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    ...I have settled quite comfortably into the bandcamp download world. It is easy, and efficient, and saves a hell of a lot of storage space...
    BandCamp works. Absolutely no doubt about that.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

P.S.

Our business model has changed completely for Wayside; 10 years ago, before the huge international postal increases, we used to sell a ton of goods to customers outside of the USA; it may have made up 40-45% of our sales.

Now?
    10% and dropping.

That's just how things are going.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

But I'm just not going down the road of buying files, and if that's the only medium for new music, then I'm OK passing on it.

With the Snarky Puppy, I'd wait a bit and see if a domestic (Canadian) vendor carries the album. They're a big enough name that this seems likely to me, but it may take a little time to get to those vendors.

Bill
    Well Bill, you could always burn the download to a CD and play it that way. Any brick and mortar place is a bit out of my way at this point, and plus, although they might have the new Snarky Puppy CD, that is the exception, rather than the rule. Most new stuff I get is way too obscure for a brick and mortar store to think about carrying, with what little CD rack space they have left.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    i have also (primarily) stuck with CD's over downloads, and i'm trying to figure out why. when i buy a CD, pretty much the first thing i do is rip it to my computer so that i have access to it no matter where i am (as long as my phone has signal). in fact, the act of copying the CD to the computer is probably the only time the disc goes in the player. and i rarely open the packaging after the initial purchase to look at credits/pictures/lyrics.

so...the only thing that i can think of is that i know that if i go down the road of download's, i've opened the floodgates. it is just too easy to spend my (finite) supply of money. purchasing a CD these days for me is (almost always) done at shows. so that keeps me from draining my bank account - and then getting a divorce.

question: i'll use the latest Discipline album as my test case. https://lasersedge.bandcamp.com/albu...-wine-dark-sea
    the physical disk is 14.50
    shipping is 3.00
    tax...not sure
    download: 9.00

i would save $8.50 (or more) on the download. does the artist make more money on the $9 download or the $14.50 physical purchase? if it is pretty much even (or in favor of the download), then i'd just about be in financial position to purchase a second download - and support a second musician.

anyone know?

thanks,

ken
    The artist makes significantly more from the download.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    wow! I did not know that...something to think about. I always burn my bandcamp downloads to cd audio quality cd and you can always print the artwork..
    I'm all for the artists getting the biggest piece of the pie for all their hard work.
    Thanks Ken..don't want to put you and Steve out of business tho.

and may I ask people to please dispose of unwanted or unusable cds responsibly. Most local recycling programs do not accept them.
    http://www.cdrecyclingcenter.org/recycle-now/index
    Last edited by Top Cat; 03-16-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I just bought the new DT album and the Neal Morse double CD - cost me $47. Still sticking to the CD's for my "main" favorite bands. I am doing downloads for older stuff I still need to pick up. New releases are becoming fewer and farther between. I still seem to think its that they arent being released, but apparently there is more being released these days than ever before.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have never downloaded. I'm definitely old school.

I'll never be a downloader. It's the way things are going for the majority, but it's just not for me. For sure, the music itself is the most important thing, but for me, it isn't the only thing. If the day comes when CDs stop being manufactured, I will just kick back with the thousands I already have and enjoy them for the rest of my life.

But yes, to the OP: an individual CD from the U.S. to Canada now averages around $30, regardless of its initial price (even if it's a "$5 bargain"). This is why my online purchasing dropped sharply when the postage increases skyrocketed a few years back. I try to stick to Canadian purchases as much as possible now (sorry, I'm not a millionaire and I buy over 100 CDs a year, so you can see the dilemma)... I also look for good deals on Discogs, E-bay, etc... with close attention paid to shipping rates, of course. A couple of times per year, I will still place orders with the U.S. and/or European vendors - they will always have the best overall selection for my tastes, and an occasional splurge is fun. It's a shame that I can't order from them the way I used to, but what am I to do? :/
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I wish Bandcamp had a feature where you could download ALL your Bandcamp purchases in one go, or maybe select a bunch from your collection and download them. I've bought a lot on Bandcamp but don't have that much time to download stuff, so it's mostly just in my Bandcamp collection and I listen from my phone, via headphones or Blu-Tooth. I definitely fear if Bandcamp should go Belly-up.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've bought a lot on Bandcamp but don't have that much time to download stuff, so it's mostly just in my Bandcamp collection and I listen from my phone, via headphones or Blu-Tooth. I definitely fear if Bandcamp should go Belly-up.
    If you can find time to post 9,142 posts (as of now above), you should be able to find time to download your purchases.

Jes' sayin'...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Was that the limited thingy in the 'ice' packaging? IF SO, we did not carry it because the wholesale price to us was $22 or something like that and I was not going to bring it in having to pay that much for a fragile package that might get smashed on the way to us.

nuh-uh.
    Yeah, that's the one. Makes total sense why you wouldn't carry it. That wholesale price, however, makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Well Bill, you could always burn the download to a CD and play it that way.
    Yeah, I tried that, and still do it on occasion. But it's hard to file those CDRs with my regular collection, so they just stack up somewhere, and I never get to them. Finally I gave up and stuck them all on a big flash drive that I can play through my stereo, but I never do. Honestly, I just take no pride of ownership of downloads. I don't value them, I don't play them, I don't want them. I like CDs and I'm willing to pay a fair price for them, and if CDs bite the bullet, then I'm willing to live with the consequences of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    As a percentage of the retail price, this is true. I still make more selling and album wholesale for $8 than I do selling a download for $6 (from which Bandcamp of Amazon take a cut, but a fair one). Yeah, I could increase the price of the download, but I feel bad charging more than that. Also, we sold WAAAAAAAAY more CDs than downloads. Hundreds of CDs compared to maybe a dozen or so downloads. I think people just steal the downloads. It was hardly worth the trouble of offering downloads on our site or Bandcamp/Amazon. Other artists experience may differ, but that was my experience.

Bill

Bandcamp does a great job of giving you your money's worth for an album purchase - streaming anywhere on your phone, artwork and often liner notes, re-download the album any time in any format you want. Makes buying from other digital outlets seem not worth it at all, especially if you only get to download once and only in MP3.

I only really get CDs now if there is no vinyl edition available and I feel like I've connected with the album enough to really want a physical copy of it.

For me, it's a no brainer. Since I still own a brick and mortar store, CDs and vinyl are really the only option for me. Downloads hold no interest for me.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.