Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sigur Ros - New tour, New songs, New sound!

New Darker Sigur Ros

New Sigur Ros on the horizon. Short Teaser Video out. http://wp.me/pgATL-1Tp

Sweet! They totally lost me on Valtari. This new song snippet sounds like the same mood and instrumental arrangement as their awesome Track 8 on the ( ) album. Although very few of their songs have that full on rock drum thing going on, I always felt they should have gone in that direction more often. Let's hope this next album makes up for the total letdown of Valtari.

Sigur Ros - New tour, New songs, New sound!

Honestly i was a bit dissapointed with last years album "Valtari'. Sure enough an enjoyable album but just the same ol' Sigur Ros. After seeing them play live yesterday in Amsterdam, where they played a lot of new material, in can conclude that change is on the way! I was very impressed with the new material. More upbeat, heavy bass, richly orchestrated and simply powerfull.

The whole concert was amazing. Out of the 5 times I've seen them yet this was perhaps the best show. The sound was very clear and very rich. I think I counted 11 people on stage. 1 extra percussionist, a 3-piece string section and a 3 piece horn-section. All the shows were accompanied by amazing projections and light effects. Jonsi's Voice was great and seemed to be reallyt into it; especially the new stuff.

They are now on a large european/north american tour. Go and see them if yu have the chance!

Here's the official tour trailer:

Joost
    Last edited by thedunno; 02-22-2013 at 03:31 AM.

I'll be seeing them in a few days. Wonder what they'll be like live - I know almost all of their albums, but have never experienced them live.
    Looking forwards to it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Would love to see them but the nearest gig to me is a 5 hour drive away.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I have tickets to see them in April.

Adore this band love everything they've done (well pretty much). I do think it's time for a diff direction, so this bodes well.
    Look forward to new material.

John

I have tickets to see them in April as well, UIC Pavillion.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

New Sigur Ros album promised in June with a new video of one of it's songs. This is a much heavier sound than Valtari and should be amazing on the new short tour. http://wp.me/pgATL-1Yw

I was thinking of going to see them in DC, but I'm sure my husband isn't "up to it." I've never seen them live. I'm thinking he might fall asleep

I saw them supporting ( ) and it was incredibly powerful....definitely not something one can sleep through easily

I'll be seeing them on Sunday in Fairfax. Also happy to see Tim Hecker as the opener.

At the Patriot Center? That's the show I was referring to. I'm sure he wouldn't literally fall asleep, but he might fake it! Have fun

Pretty amazing video. They may be down a keyboard player (though I have to believe they'll have someone on stage to pull this off live), they've lost none of their patented "wall of noise" sound.

They are an excellent live band.

I sawthem a few years ago at the Civic Opera House here in Chicago...one of the trippiest shows I've ever been to, phenomenal!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Yeah, saw them at Radio City Music Hall on the ( ) tour. Definitely the best sounding show I have ever been to.

Banned
    Who do these guys sound like? What is their new direction? Saw that they will be the musical guest on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon tonight.

I just watched them on Fallon. BORED ME TO TEARS! I can't imagine spending money on these people.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Who do these guys sound like? What is their new direction? Saw that they will be the musical guest on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon tonight.
    The video Paulrus posted above is their newest single, and is apparently an indicator of their new direction.

I saw the show last night in Fairfax. It was good, but strange. Closest I'll probably come to attending a Hipster Arena Show. I will say, I enjoyed the show supporting () a bit more than this one.

The set was a good mix of material from all their albums, maybe a tad more focus on Takk, which overall sounded excellent with the expanded strings and brass support.

Visually Sigur Ros fared well, but at the expense of Tim Hecker who was stuck performing behind a semi-opaque sheet, pretty much hidden from the audience. His set was fantastic, probably more enjoyable for me simply because I'd not seen him before (and thanks to that damned sheet, I still haven't!).

It was interesting though...Hecker is in many ways a similar performer to Fripp and his soundscapes, in terms of limited stage prescence and music that isn't heavy on the rhythm (to put it mildly). But I was really impressed with how much the crowd was respectful toward Hecker and gave his performance a fair shot, with limited chatter and noise. I thought it was very cool, especially in a joint as relatively large as the Patriot Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    They may be down a keyboard player (though I have to believe they'll have someone on stage to pull this off live)
    All three band members had keyboards in their individual setups, and they had a guy that looked like a dedicated player alongside them as well. Plus the strings and brass...it was most definitely a full sound

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    The video Paulrus posted above is their newest single, and is apparently an indicator of their new direction.

I saw the show last night in Fairfax. It was good, but strange. Closest I'll probably come to attending a Hipster Arena Show. I will say, I enjoyed the show supporting () a bit more than this one.

The set was a good mix of material from all their albums, maybe a tad more focus on Takk, which overall sounded excellent with the expanded strings and brass support.

Visually Sigur Ros fared well, but at the expense of Tim Hecker who was stuck performing behind a semi-opaque sheet, pretty much hidden from the audience. His set was fantastic, probably more enjoyable for me simply because I'd not seen him before (and thanks to that damned sheet, I still haven't!).

It was interesting though...Hecker is in many ways a similar performer to Fripp and his soundscapes, in terms of limited stage prescence and music that isn't heavy on the rhythm (to put it mildly). But I was really impressed with how much the crowd was respectful toward Hecker and gave his performance a fair shot, with limited chatter and noise. I thought it was very cool, especially in a joint as relatively large as the Patriot Center.
    So, they sound like King Crimson?

Cool new track from the album, sounds extremely promising:

Can't say I hear much Crimson in the clip above, aside from the distorted-out bass...but it is certainly a more aggressive sound for Sigur Ros. Reminds me a bit of the closing track from (), but on high octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I just watched them on Fallon. BORED ME TO TEARS! I can't imagine spending money on these people.
    If post-rock is not your thing, then yeah, it can have that type of reaction on you. Otherwise, for those that dig the style, Sigur Ros are Gods. I thought they kind of went downhill after Takk, but the new single sounds very promising. I will definitely track down the album, once it is released.