Thread: RTF IV

RTF IV

Spent the last week listening to, and watching, "the Mothership Returns" several times. I had forgotten how good these guys were.

Here's the thing: I think the band with Ponty is more enjoyable than the "classic quartet" with Di Meola. Ponty adds lightness and joy, whereas Al mostly just brought a lot of intensity (occasionally some bona fide beauty as well). What is the consensus among RTF fans?

Also, wondering if the IV lineup was just a one-shot deal? One world tour and done? Or is there still any chance we might see them again?

Kicking myself a lot for not having seen them in Syracuse back in '11.

I got to see both II and IV (the Moran thing being III) and I enjoyed both shows but I'm not sure Ponty was such a great fit... and I love JLP.I might have though differently if they had recorded an album together.

I wish they had gone into the studio to record but the schedule that Chick keeps probably means sadly it was a one-shot
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I got to see both II and IV (the Moran thing being III) and I enjoyed both shows but I'm not sure Ponty was such a great fit... and I love JLP.I might have though differently if they had recorded an album together.

I wish they had gone into the studio to record but the schedule that Chick keeps probably means sadly it was a one-shot
    Like you I saw those 3 versions of RTF. Frank is a great player but I'm a di Meola guy, love him. Now luc Ponty is one a my favorite performers particularly live so I thought he was a great addition to the band. So to see him on stage with Chick, Stanley and Lenny was awesome but I kept thinking that one thing was missing... Al! Anyway I did prefer the 2008 tour with Al for what it's worth. The Jean luc thing was great as a one off tour... maybe if they had recorded a studio LP with him and had that original material to play... just a thought but I'll take RTF2 over any version of that band!

Saw RTF in 75 and 83, then again for both tours with DiMeola, and then Gambale and Ponty. I loved them all! I wish Frank had gotten more time to solo.
    I hope there will be another tour at some point.

I appreciate any version of RTF.
    I was in music school when I discovered WHERE HAVE I KNOWN YOU BEFORE and NO MYSTERY and bought them (vinyl) the same day.
    I made cassette tapes for any friends at school that wanted one and we all got into it deeply.
    Not long after that, ROMANTIC WARRIOR was released and OMG were we hooked !

I've been fortunate to see them live as well as a few DiMeola shows and two versions of Chick's Electric Band.
    A few years back I bought a Japanese Re-Mastered version of ROMANTIC WARRIOR and it is such great sonic treat..............a reference disc, for sure.

RTF IV never went into the studio, but they supposedly did play some new material during the Australian gigs at the beginning of their tour. I have no idea why the new stuff was dropped for the rest of their tour.

I really enjoyed that tour. The 2008 reunion tour with Al D. was great, but it was very nostalgia-oriented, while the RTF IV tour allowed them to take a fresh look at the catalog. I was hoping they would continue, but Chick never seems to keep a group together very long anymore.

I love RTF in any iteration. The only version I saw live was IV the summer they toured w/Zappa Plays Zappa. As much as I love JLP and appreciate Frank Gambale I was secretly wishing Bill Connors were there instead of the aforementioned two. Now having said that, the night I saw IV they KILLED it. They were really effin' good so I'm whining about nuthin'.

Chick likes to stay busy. His last two albums have been piano/acoustic based projects (Akoustic Band Live and Vigilette Tempus Fugit) so I have a feeling an electric project will be calling him before too terribly long. I wouldn't rule out RTF V before all is said and done.