Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short but fun interview with Martin Barre re: "A", Jobson, Wetton, Holdsworth...

Short but fun interview with Martin Barre re: "A", Jobson, Wetton, Holdsworth...

I really enjoyed this. Martin's such a great guy and he's so genuinely enthusiastic with his responses about this unique period in Tull's career.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

That is cool. It's also, I think, the most I've ever heard Martin speak in my life.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Martin in UK?! Bozzio in Tull? What?!
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 03-13-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Very nice interview, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Martin in UK?! Bozzio in Tull? What?!
    Great interview! Finally someone asks some really "deep cuts" questions. It really does sound like Martin might have jumped the Tull mothership for the guitar slot in UK.

That was great, thank you!

Thanks for sharing. Fun indeed, but also informative.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Great interview! Finally someone asks some really "deep cuts" questions. It really does sound like Martin might have jumped the Tull mothership for the guitar slot in UK.
    I think so as well. As much as I loved the trio format on Danger Money, Marty certainly would have sounded fine doing "his thing" on that material. Tasteful he is...

Bozzio a bit busy for Tull IMHO, but w/ Doane they sorta went that direction anyway, so...

Nice little interview. I did wonder if Caught in the Crossfire might have been mentioned somewhere. I have to admit that a UK with MB does sound intriguing (Bozzio in Tull not so much). It would certainly have been interesting to see what they might have produced, and what the future for Tull might have been had Martin's acceptance of the initial invitation to play on UK's next album been followed through.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I have to admit that a UK with MB does sound intriguing (Bozzio in Tull not so much).
    I like Martin a lot, but I can't see him making sense in UK. Yeah, Danger Money was a more commercial record than the first one, but it was still pretty left field compared to the blues rock stuff MB was doing in Tull. I'm not saying he couldn't stretch and get more fusion-y, but if his current live work is any indication that's not his sweet spot. No, to me a better fit for UK would have been Gary Green, who Eddie Jobson tapped for his Zinc album.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I like Martin a lot, but I can't see him making sense in UK. Yeah, Danger Money was a more commercial record than the first one, but it was still pretty left field compared to the blues rock stuff MB was doing in Tull. I'm not saying he couldn't stretch and get more fusion-y, but if his current live work is any indication that's not his sweet spot. No, to me a better fit for UK would have been Gary Green, who Eddie Jobson tapped for his Zinc album.
    Isn't Gary Green even bluesier than Martin?? And Martin wasn't as bluesy in 1980 as he is now - as the Slipstream video and Tull's early 80s output makes clear. That said, the first choice to replace Holdsworth was supposedly Eric Johnson, who had allegedly all but agreed to join until his manager vetoed the proposition. Now that would have been interesting, and I can kind of see it making sense from a musical point of view, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post

Bozzio a bit busy for Tull IMHO, but w/ Doane they sorta went that direction anyway, so...
    Two words: Barriemore Barlowe! Busy drumming is part of why I love Tull.

Totally agree!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I was actually thinking about Steve Howe with UK a couple weekends ago. Could have been a much better version of ASIA.

On a collectors site recently someone shared a Tull Stormwatch tour recording that included the soundcheck, where there is a short jam by Barre, Pegg and Barlow where it sounded to me like Barre had been listening to Joe's Garage.

It's might be interesting to note that before Jobson became a special guest in Jethro Tull he, Mark Craney and Bon Lozaga had started a project, that was supposed to be a follow-up to U.K.
    https://www.facebook.com/GongExpress...0376924792503/

I remember Craney saying that he got called for "A" after Ian tried another drummer who didn't work out. Maybe if there is an expanded "A" box set we will learn who the other drummer was.

That is a lovely interview. It shows how you get interesting answers if you ask more interesting questions!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Here's more!

That said, the first choice to replace Holdsworth was supposedly Eric Johnson, who had allegedly all but agreed to join until his manager vetoed the proposition. Now that would have been interesting, and I can kind of see it making sense from a musical point of view, as well.
    Wow. Never heard that before. Very interesting, indeed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. Never heard that before. Very interesting, indeed.
    Sadly, I forget where I read it or I'd post a link.

It was poorly stated. Certainly, Bozzio, Barlow and Doane are all busy players- but they are all busy in different ways. Bozzio (whom I adore) I think would have been a smote too flashy in 1980 for Tull. But what the hell do I know? Maybe it would have sounded great.

That said, the first choice to replace Holdsworth was supposedly Eric Johnson, who had allegedly all but agreed to join until his manager vetoed the proposition. Now that would have been interesting, and I can kind of see it making sense from a musical point of view, as well.
    One of the sources for this is the book UK 1977-2015 (Globe Music, 2015) which is the Japanese version of the larger booklet that was part of the UK Ultimate Collectors' Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    It was poorly stated. Certainly, Bozzio, Barlow and Doane are all busy players- but they are all busy in different ways. Bozzio (whom I adore) I think would have been a smote too flashy in 1980 for Tull. But what the hell do I know? Maybe it would have sounded great.
    Two words: Missing Persons
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I find it a bit strange that Martin says he has taken the "Road Less Travelled" as far as music. He says in this interview that he eschewed playing the blues that other British rock guitarists were trying to emulate in the 60's and 70's. I've heard other interviews where he staunchly says he is basically a blues guitarist, although he certainly took it a long way from there. A slight contradiction in what he says his influences are, but he seems like a hell of a nice guy in all of the interviews that I've seen. Of course, he's a monster guitarist!