Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson VS Greta Van Fleet

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm trying to figure out how Steven Wislon was never young or pretty. I know a lot of female prog fans seem to find him rather dreamy, and he was certainly young at some point, and isn't exactly old now.

I prefer his music and have no interest in GvF but one artist putting down another one in this way definitely comes across as sour grapes. I don't think any area of the art world has ever been "fair." And this is very different from us saying "why the hell is so and so in the Rock Hall of Fame or on the Grammys." We're not in competition with them (well, I'm not) or comparing ourselves to them. And while there are a ton of musical acts and other artists I don't care for, I don't resent their success. It's the business and the fans who are to blame, really.

However, it's quite possible the interviewer sort of egged him into these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I thought that WAS the point? Either to step in an agree with SW that GVF is shit, or to call SW shit for having his opinion? What other possible conversation was going to play out in this scenario?
    Exactly.

I shouldn't exactly though, since the most common response seems to be a combination of the two: agree that GVF is shit, while simultaneously giving Wilson for expressing the same opinion.

Call it a Package Deal.

20190312_185045.jpg

SW at the same age as GVF are now. Steady ladies

Wilson really should choose to be silent more often than he does and bit by bit he has made it hard for me to stomach listening to him. Those kids don't deserve to be slammed like that. They play straight ahead rock like some of what Zep and the Faces did but really, Wilson aped his heroes quite openly as did Plant and Page for that matter.

By the way, there were also those times that Wilson slammed Steve Vai and Satriani (and a bit more subtly denigrated Guthrie Govan who actually played with him). It seems like a habit he has and he did all that from the height of his ignorance about music and formal training which of course he makes out only to be a virtue.

Wilson complains about guitar driven rock disappearing and takes a swipe at THESE people of all things? No swipe at the 100,000th derivative electronic dance piece or hip hop product photo ops disguised as music?

No time for that when you are lecturing your progressive audience about how they don't have the 'taste' to appreciate disposable pop from the 70s and 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    A lot of threads here are speculation. It's the internet.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    Wilson really should choose to be silent more often than he does and bit by bit he has made it hard for me to stomach listening to him. Those kids don't deserve to be slammed like that. They play straight ahead rock like some of what Zep and the Faces did but really, Wilson aped his heroes quite openly as did Plant and Page for that matter.

By the way, there were also those times that Wilson slammed Steve Vai and Satriani (and a bit more subtly denigrated Guthrie Govan who actually played with him). It seems like a habit he has and he did all that from the height of his ignorance about music and formal training which of course he makes out only to be a virtue.

Wilson complains about guitar driven rock disappearing and takes a swipe at THESE people of all things? No swipe at the 100,000th derivative electronic dance piece or hip hop product photo ops disguised as music?

No time for that when you are lecturing your progressive audience about how they don't have the 'taste' to appreciate disposable pop from the 70s and 80s.
    100% agreed!

It seems like he isn't content to sleep in the bed he's made. He seems to want bigger fame, the likes of which only mainstream acts have. You could even look at the direction of his last album as a stab at that as well.
    I really do think SW has become aware that he's getting older and that the clock is ticking on ever achieving the level of fame he really wants.

If he really wanted that sort of fame he probably shouldn't have spent the first years of his career making ambient music and then switch to prog.
    Or he should never have shut down Porcupine Tree. According to that article they were a famous band!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

The EP was pretty solid. Now the full length (which Pitchfork so famously dismantled) is awful.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by tribalfusion View Post
    I sure hope you're not talking about Abba, Tears For Fears, Talk Talk, and the like.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I sure hope you're not talking about Abba, Tears For Fears, Talk Talk, and the like.
    I sure hope he is.

I just played some ABBA. It's actually pretty disposable.

I just played some ABBA. It's actually pretty disposable.
    Not to Abba fans!

It's all well done and all, but it's pretty lightweight compared to the great pop of, say, XTC or Steely Dan.

Not a lot of meat on the bone, per se. More like cotton candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    As a fan of both, I think SW has got it completely wrong here. He seems envious that GVF are good looking and have got a major record deal at such a young age. In a previous interview he was complaining about how rock music is invisible in the music mainstream nowadays and yet now that GVF are helping to bring rock music back to young audiences he doesn't like it. GVF are not a manufactured band, they can actually play their instruments and write songs and they are great live. So what if they sound a bit like Led Zep, they wear their influences on their sleeve rather like SW did in his earlier career. No doubt they will continue to grow and develop their own style which in fact I think they are already doing if you listen to all of their debut album.

Personally I think it says more about Wilson who seems to be getting more and more arrogant and opinionated than ever.
    Pretty much my thoughts as well. GVF are from about 90 minutes down the highway from me here in Michigan. Yes, their music is somewhat derivative of Zeppelin, but these guys are still just kids and have nowhere to go, but up. I would guess that they will improve significantly over the next few years with more experience. The fact that they are turning a lot of younger people on to guitar driven rock n roll is nothing but a positive thing IMO. True, there are better, more original younger bands out there doing classic style rock (Rival Sons, All Them Witches, Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown, Low Cut Connie, The Struts are a few that come to mind off the top of my head), but GVF have been able to tap into young popular culture in a way that those other bands have not been able to so far.

It's all well done and all, but it's pretty lightweight compared to the great pop of, say, XTC or Steely Dan.

Not a lot of meat on the bone, per se. More like cotton candy.
    I get that. But sometimes cotton candy is exactly what I want.

Abba's song "Dancing Queen" is one of the most well-made pop songs of the last 50 years, IMO. And when it's blasting on a dance floor, or in a roller skating rink, it really shines. I wouldn't consider it disposable myself, although I can understand why the average prog fan might not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Mr. W does seem to be getting more and more bitter lately, which is hard to understand, as he has a successful career in music, something most musicians can only dream about. He plays to good size venues, just a couple of notches below arena capacity...most of us would be thrilled to pieces with that. Especially considering he writes music exactly the way he wants to, with no compromises.

neil
    He probably could have had more success if he had kept Porcupine Tree together for one more album. On their last tour they were selling out venues like Radio City Music Hall and seemed to be right on the brink of breaking out of the 3000 seat theater level and into arenas. One more album might have provided the push to get them to the level that he always seems to have wanted.

He's a bozo the clown for publicly saying that.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Wilson's right, of course, but why say it? Being the cynic I am, you have to wonder if Wilson is delving in the gutter for some cheap pub.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Greta Van Fraud.

If you are going to steal then at least turn it into your own thing like all of the legends throughout history.

Plagiarism is not cool.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Greta Van Fraud.

If you are going to steal then at least turn it into your own thing like all of the legends throughout history.

Plagiarism is not cool.
    Didn't Zeppelin steal some shit too?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

So we're going on about this coming from some third-rate clickbaity rock webzine? It sounds like this was a translation of an interview he did in another language. Hey I could be wrong. I know SW can be pretty opinionated when it comes to music, but he is usually more tactful than he sounds in this interview.

Edit: I stand corrected. Listening to the interview now. "They're like a boy-band version of Led Zeppelin." Pretty spot-on. And I barely know GVF, but I hear people who don't usually listen to newer rock go "Wow, have you heard this band!? They sound just like Led Zep!" Bleck, no thanks.
    Last edited by marblesmike; 03-12-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Didn't Zeppelin steal some shit too?
    Exactly and there are some videos at YT about it, for example:

https://youtu.be/uzUX_IOXt2E

I like what the kids are doing and I hope that they will continue searching for their own “sound” ... if it’s possible today and finally and more important, to enjoy the ride!.

I respect SW’s thoughts but don’t share..

Regards!.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm pretty sure Greta Van Fleet cares exactly as much about Wilson's opinion of them, as Wilson does about MY opinion of him.

Yes, yes and yes!
    👍🏼 👌🏼