Thread: Gentle Giant -- and -- Dream Theater

Gentle Giant -- and -- Dream Theater

I recently ordered the new release from Dream Theater, and while I was doing that I decided to add the Steven Wilson mix "Three Piece Suite" from the first three Gentle Giant albums.
    Wilson has done a great job of making these old songs sound new and vibrant -- WOW.
    I'm enjoying this release so much, I've heard only half of the new DT release while the GG stays in the changer.

Nothing compares to GG

GG never gets old.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    I recently ordered the new release from Dream Theater, and while I was doing that I decided to add the Steven Wilson mix "Three Piece Suite" from the first three Gentle Giant albums.
    Wilson has done a great job of making these old songs sound new and vibrant -- WOW.
    I'm enjoying this release so much, I've heard only half of the new DT release while the GG stays in the changer.
    That's cool! I picked up GG's Three Piece Suite on Blu-Ray when it came out and it's absolutely great. Hope SW gets to do a 5.1 remix of my favorite album by the band, Free Hand.

Banned
    I agree "Three Piece Suite" sounds great even spectacular at times. Although I have umpteen versions of all GG albums it was worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Nothing compares to GG
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    GG never gets old.
    Though you can hear GG's influence at times in several bands, they were truly one of a kind and there never was or will be anything like them.

A lot of prog metal bands sound somewhat similar (to me, anyway). Dream Theater may hover somewhere near the top of the heap, but they're hardly one of a kind and you can trace their (and other bands') roots to Yngwie Malmsteen's (and other's) "neo-classical" metal stuff.

If you can hear GG who needs DT than.

GGs Playing the Fool is the only album I have 4 versions of...

I thought this thread title meant some kind of collaboration - can you imagine ?

Nothing compares to GG
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Well, Derek Shulmann helped DT get signed, so...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I thought this thread title meant some kind of collaboration - can you imagine ?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    If you can hear GG who needs DT than.
    PLAYING THE FOOL is one of the all-time greatest live-performance recordings.
    I was fortunate to see GG in Dallas one night play many of the same tunes in their set.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    I was fortunate to see GG in Dallas one night play many of the same tunes in their set.
    Same here. Saw them at the tender age of 12 in NJ thanks to my older brother. The way I see it, that act alone covers a multitude of sins.
    Giant was indeed a game changer for me. I don't think I'd be a musician today w/o 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    ...they were truly one of a kind and there never was or will be anything like them.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Though you can hear GG's influence at times in several bands, they were truly one of a kind and there never was or will be anything like them.
    Yep, although I love both Advent, who blends their GG influence into their sound very well, and the 1976 one-off from Et Cetera that also is quite excellent.

Didn't Derek Shulman produce DT: Images and Words ?

Didn't Derek Shulman produce DT: Images and Words ?
    I don't know if he produced them, but pretty sure he was responsible for signing them.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Yes. It might sound like Haken!

I haven't bought "Three Piece Suite" yet because I'm holding out for a future release containing more of my favorite songs from those three albums, which could still happen as master tapes magically surface. Hey, it's happened before!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post

Get ready for a fifth. 'Playing the Fool' has been remixed from the multi tracks and should be released sometime later this year. Before you ask, I'm not sure if it will include a surround sound version or not. And no, it wasn't done by Steven Wilson but by Dan Bornemark in Sweden. Said to be 'killer sound' by JPW who has heard some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Get ready for a fifth. 'Playing the Fool' has been remixed from the multi tracks and should be released sometime later this year. Before you ask, I'm not sure if it will include a surround sound version or not. And no, it wasn't done by Steven Wilson but by Dan Bornemark in Sweden. Said to be 'killer sound' by JPW who has heard some of it.
    haha, I really might get this one too…

I LOVE this band....ever since I discovered them in 1972! Was even lucky enough to see them twice....one opening for Renaissance!! I have all of their albums on vinyl and CD. I’ve bought every 5.1 release as well...favorite album? In a Glass House! I really wish THAT would be released in 5.1!!!

Also, someone mentioned Advent earlier. I just want to say thanks to them for carrying the torch forward!!!
    So much music....so little time....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I haven't bought "Three Piece Suite" yet because I'm holding out for a future release containing more of my favorite songs from those three albums, which could still happen as master tapes magically surface. Hey, it's happened before!!
    I can't find it now, but I thought I read or heard on an interview just that - they found another master tape for one of the first three. Perhaps it was a dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I can't find it now, but I thought I read or heard on an interview just that - they found another master tape for one of the first three. Perhaps it was a dream.
    Bornemark has a digital transfer of the 1st album's master but it's not hirez. No one thought to ask him before putting together 'TPS'.
    Last edited by Dok; 03-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.

After two weeks of listening, this CD keeps getting better.
    Steve Wilson has done his best with this one -- simply outstanding.
    I was already familiar with ACQUIRING THE TASTE but I do not own any version of GIANT or THREE FRIENDS.
    These re-mastered songs from those releases are tremendous.
    I am familiar only with PEEL THE PAINT because I'm a big fan of PLAYING THE FOOL.................it is even better here.