Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wetton's Estate is Suing Jobson

Wetton's Estate is Suing Jobson

Apparently, over a lack of compensation for shows Wetton did with UKZ.

The story is thin on details. Hopefully more will come to light.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Too bad. That was an excellent show!

Sad if true

This is sad to read. Both of those guys are musical heroes of mine and sad to see this bad business stuff here at the end.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow, will wait on details but this is not a good look.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

More details here - looks like UKZ declared bankruptcy:

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscr...No=650039-2019

The Summons & Complaint doc is fascinating reading. In it we learn that "Jobson incorporated defendant UKZ Inc. for purposes of entering into agreements for live performances....Jobson has, at all times, been the only officer and shareholder of UKZ Inc., and has exercised complete control over its operations, management, legal and financial affairs" and then it details the various agreements he entered in with Wetton and how he has yet to pay - or even provide complimentary copies of some of their releases.
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 03-11-2019 at 09:02 AM.

A lot more information is posted on John Wetton's Official Website: http://www.johnwetton.com/ .

"The cause of the lawsuit is fees/royalties/earnings which remain unpaid to John Wetton, during and after his lifetime, for the following:

1. UK Farewell Tour Dates in 2015
    2. UK Farewell Tour Dates merchandise income
    3. Four Decades box set
    4. Curtain Call box set
    5. UK Ultimate Collector’s Edition box set
    6. UK Record Store Day 2018 vinyl"

There is much more detail on the Wetton website. (I am deleting my earlier post that had the full text copied from from Facebook. This way, we can see the official text from the website without any chance of error.)
    Last edited by roylayer; 03-11-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscr...No=650039-2019
    How recently?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    How recently?
    According to the doc filed with the court, "Date case filed for chapter 7 1/11/19"

So basically to avoid paying Wetton's estate.
    Ian

It's a shame this happens. Cash up front, brother, cash in hand...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So basically to avoid paying Wetton's estate.
    That would appear to be the case, judging from the Memo filed 2/26/19 that partially states:

Defendants Eddie Jobson (“Jobson”) and UKZ, Inc. (“UKZ”) have moved this Court
    pursuant to CPLR § 2201 to stay the First, Second and Third Causes of Action due to the effect
    of UKZ’s filing for protection under the Bankruptcy Code. Defendant Globe Music Media Arts
    Corp (“Globe”) has moved pursuant to CPLR §§ 3211(a)(1), 3211(a)(2) and 3211(a)(8) to
    dismiss the Fourth and Fifth Causes of Action against it, due to Plaintiffs’ failure to adhere to the
    “notice and cure” provisions of the relevant contract, as well as that contract’s choice of venue
    clause.
    ARGUMENT
    Plaintiff Estate of John Wetton (“Wetton Estate” or “Plaintiff”) concedes that UKZ’s
    Bankruptcy Petition effects an automatic stay of the claims against both UKZ and Jobson,
    leaving the motion to stay the First, Second and Third Causes of Action unopposed. Plaintiff
    does take some issue with the motion to dismiss the Fourth and Fifth Causes of Action, but its
    arguments should be rejected, and that branch of Defendants’ motion should be granted as well.
    The Fourth Cause of Action is a claim for breach of contract, in which Plaintiff
    specifically alleges the formation and existence of a contract:

Very sad that Wetton had to deal with all this whilst being ill.

This is messed up! I saw the U.K. "Reunion Tour" in NYC before John Wetton's illness kicked in. It looks like Eddie Jobson's got some work to do when it comes to business.

UKZ1.jpg

I've always had the feeling that Jobson, talented as he is, is a bit of an ahole. Sorry to have my impression confirmed this way.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    @ the "Zealot's Lounge":
    I am saddened and outraged that John Wetton’s unscrupulous managers have decided to spread shameless lies about my treatment of John. None of it is true, as they present it. I am actually relieved that these specious statements have been asserted in the form of a detailed lawsuit so that the courts can determine the erroneousness of the claims and throw out the entire case, which I can virtually guarantee they will do.

Pretty straight forward "Eddie - did you pay John? Please show me the receipts"
    Ian

Oh dear, only the lawyers will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    @ the "Zealot's Lounge":
    None of it is true, as they present it

Therein lies the rub.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    At least in terms of the band name UKZ, I don't know what that band had to do with Wetton, since he wasn't involved in the EP or small handful of live shows, was he?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    At least in terms of the band name UKZ, I don't know what that band had to do with Wetton, since he wasn't involved in the EP or small handful of live shows, was he?
    UKZ Inc. was/is a corporation that Eddie started to finance and run all of the various UK tours and releases. Wetton's contracts were all done with UKZ Inc, according to the court filings.

In February 2011, Jobson incorporated defendant UKZ Inc. for purposes of
    entering into agreements for live performances. Upon information and belief, Jobson has, at all
    times, been the only officer and shareholder of UKZ Inc., and has exercised complete control
    over its operations, management, legal and financial affairs

Geoff Downes has posted:

"Very sad and outraged to hear this. John was the most honest and generous person you could ever hope to meet. Beyond words..."

Lisa Wetton:

"This was happening during John’s cancer diagnosis. We chose to focus on staying positive during chemo treatment because it was important that he stay stress free."

Disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Very sad that Wetton had to deal with all this whilst being ill.
    Heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    This is messed up! I saw the U.K. "Reunion Tour" in NYC before John Wetton's illness kicked in. It looks like Eddie Jobson's got some work to do when it comes to acting like a human being.
    Fixed.

Lisa Wetton:

"This was happening during John’s cancer diagnosis. We chose to focus on staying positive during chemo treatment because it was important that he stay stress free."
    Man, this is awful.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I wouldn't go making judgments on anything until the full facts of the case come out and things are settled. These days it seems to be easy to do a "trial by social media PR" campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I've always had the feeling that Jobson, talented as he is, is a bit of an ahole. Sorry to have my impression confirmed this way.
    X2! And I did see his assholiness live and in person.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman