Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush, live. Can't believe this show on DVD

Rush, live. Can't believe this show on DVD

I bought the Rush Replay X3 DVD set yesterday, and can NOT believe what I am seeing when I watch the DVD of the Grace Under Pressure tour.

These guys are on fire. Some tempos are blazing- they are playing older stuff at a breakneck speed, but it's ok- they pull it off with aplomb. I've seen many Rush DVDs, but this one is the best I've seen yet. They are enthusiastic and happy. Neil (and his rattail) pounds his minimalized kit with abandon, Alex's sweat glistens in the lights (coke?) and his playing is spot-on and over the top, in his Miami Vice outfit (really? Those grimaces???), and Geddy's Steinberger bass is glorious. Frigging GLORIOUS! Loud and cutting through, every note resounds. His hair looks great, too The stage is small enough so the guys aren't separated by a huge chasm. Maybe this is why I don't enjoy the later vids as much, too.

It's a bit primitive compared to the later vids, but it's well done for the time, and sounds good. Geddy plays with the lyrics at points, stretching out syllables, toying with the rhythm, something I haven't really seen him do before. The later live vids are all so rote and rehearsed. They actually look like they're having fun here and not going through the motions, like so many of their concert vids I've seen. I guess they're right at the point in their career that coincides with the height of my fan-boy appreciation for them.

Oh, yeah, Peart used to throw his sticks in the air and catch them, just in time. Remember that?

This is how I want to remember Rush on my deathbed.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Plus, Count Floyd makes a cameo, right?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Plus, Count Floyd makes a cameo, right?
    Is that this one? There are 3 video concerts, and I watched them all in a frenzy, but I think the Count shows up in one of the other vids.

I didn't see the vid, but I saw the tour, and I believe ronmac is correct. And while p/g was an excellent tour, it wasn't a patch on the Hemispheres or Permanent Waves tours.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 03-09-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Grace Under Pressure Tour is a bitchin' show. It was unavailable for forever before that set. I originally watched it in the '80s by renting it from (drum roll) The Wherehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I didn't see the vid, but I saw the tour, and I believe ronmac is correct. And while p/g was an excellent tour, it wasn't a patch on the Hemispheres or Permanent Waves tours.
    I'm not sure what you mean by p/g, and "a patch".

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by p/g, and "a patch".
    p/g is the "logo" for Grace Under Pressure. "Not a patch on" means it isn't up to the level of the thing it's being compared to.

I love the A Show Of Hands video, that was a fantastic show.

I remember giving a copy of that video to someone that is not a Rush fan, and his only comment after seeing it was "It felt I was in a disco club atmosphere! I must have watched this 30 times and I presume most people who enjoy Grace Under Pressure and a rarely played song "The Weapon" will dig this

Playing it in the background right now - they certainly are taking everything up tempo but that's not a bad thing. Love the little break in "Closer to the Heart".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    That's the one that has the gag where Alex pretended to say something into a mic, so they stuck the "warning" on the video, saying they had to delete what he was "saying" because it was obscene or something? I remember there was one I saw where that happens, and at the time, I was too dumb to know it was a joke. I think I read that Geddy was asked about it years later, and he said he thought it was obviously a put on because of the radiation symbols they put on the screen along with the warning, but he was asked for yeas afterward what Alex said that couldn't be included in the video.

The 5.1 mix on this dvd is more discrete than on the other dvd's/Blu ray's imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Classic. My first Rush video purchase. VHS!

Well they're having fun because they're still young and not fighting through tendonitis and arthritis to get through a show.

And it's great to see a Rush show without triggered samples of ghost rhythm guitars and ghost backing vocals.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

^^ Yep, they were still riding high on that wave instead of coasting.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I love the shot of the audience air-drumming during one of Neil's fills in Spirit of Radio.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Is that this one? There are 3 video concerts, and I watched them all in a frenzy, but I think the Count shows up in one of the other vids.
    He shows up on the p/g Tour video to introduce "The Weapon."
    Chad

^ "A very scary song," as I recall.

"Oh, the music! Listen to that synthesizer!"

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I love the shot of the audience air-drumming during one of Neil's fills in Spirit of Radio.
    I dragged my girlfriend to a show during their last tour. She was cracking up at all of the air-drumming and air-guitaring.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The air bass players are always a hoot at a Rush show. Never sit next to an air drummer because they're all over the place trying to imitate/emulate the Chosen One.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Laser Disc for that G/P show. I never got my hands on one.

I remember taking my mom's VCR to a friend's house who had MTV to record this show.

Yep, I know I have that same show on Beta somewhere.

I bought Replay X3 at a library sale last year. The cost? One dollar. And I'm not even a fan, though I like three or four of their songs. I couldn't pass it up at that price and decided to check out their other songs. I've watched the whole thing three times so far. Honestly, I'm still not a fan of the songs, but I'm really impressed by their musicianship and enjoyed the shows immensely. They had a lot of fun on stage and didn't take themselves too seriously.