Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Saw Musical Box in Boston yesterday

  1. #1

    Saw Musical Box in Boston yesterday

    Could have swore they said the fill-in drummer was Jonathan Mover... Did I hear that right?

  2. #2
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,438
    From Mover's Facebook site


    thanks to my great friend vic salazar, i got a last-minute, and i do mean last-minute, call tuesday night (and i had literally just flown back to LA from boston monday) for a rescue mission to play with The Musical Box back in boston. for those of you who may not be familiar with TMB, they are the biggest genesis tribute band and take the gig very seriously. so much so, that as you'll see in the photo, the kit i played was the exact (and i do mean exact) replica of what phil collins played back in the early '70s. set up as exactly as he played it–a mixture of gretsch and premier, with all the assorted percussion, right down to the vintage "lightweight" premier cymbals stands... needless to say, most of the kit wobbled every time i hit it!

    anyway... i was on a 5:50 AM flight wednesday morning to boston. figured i would listen and make notes during the flight, but as luck would have it, it was probably the most turbulent flight i've had in 20 years. one of those white-knuckler's where the pilot says, "flight attendants please stay in your seats with your seatbelts fastened...tight!" so, forget the notes, my hands never left the arm rest! finally landed and right from the airport to the venue in new hampshire... no rehearsal.

    now, i grew up listening to and practicing to genesis on an almost daily basis, so if there's anyone who knows phil and these tunes, it's me. and i've got no problem playing in 7, 9, 13 whatever... i can even play in 4, but remembering all that shit from 40 years ago AND with the band having re-arranged quite a bit of it, was one hell of a challenge. my brain was sizzling. and to top it off, it's one thing to play this shit on a kit of comfort (meaning mine), it's another to sit right down and play it on a kit that couldn't be set up farther than how i would ever want it, sans being lefty! thank god it was only a two-and-a-half-hour set!

    that aside, it was a blast and we pulled it off to a great and very appreciative audience at the tupelo.

    hoping their drummer can make it on the gig soon (well, not really), but until then, i'm happy to hang, play and revisit my musical childhood with a really great team of guys.

  3. #3
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,076
    Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    From Mover's Facebook site


    thanks to my great friend vic salazar, i got a last-minute, and i do mean last-minute, call tuesday night (and i had literally just flown back to LA from boston monday) for a rescue mission to play with The Musical Box back in boston. for those of you who may not be familiar with TMB, they are the biggest genesis tribute band and take the gig very seriously. so much so, that as you'll see in the photo, the kit i played was the exact (and i do mean exact) replica of what phil collins played back in the early '70s. set up as exactly as he played it–a mixture of gretsch and premier, with all the assorted percussion, right down to the vintage "lightweight" premier cymbals stands... needless to say, most of the kit wobbled every time i hit it!


    that aside, it was a blast and we pulled it off to a great and very appreciative audience at the tupelo.

    hoping their drummer can make it on the gig soon (well, not really), but until then, i'm happy to hang, play and revisit my musical childhood with a really great team of guys.
    what a great story, thanks for sharing his FB post.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  4. #4
    That is something else. As precise as TMB is, imagine showing up and playing. That had to be something.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    That is something else. As precise as TMB is, imagine showing up and playing. That had to be something.
    The roadie in the back was giving him visual cues... It was quite surreal...

  6. #6
    Member Gizmotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Southwest
    Posts
    845
    Wow! What a cool story! Thanks for the post. I look forward to seeing them soon.

  7. #7
    The first couple of songs in Boston were a little rough, but Jonathan soon locked in and nailed the rest of the set. It was a fun dynamic to an already great show, and the audience was clearly rooting for him!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,281
    Mover's story is great! I don't care how professional you are, that is amazing to be able to pull off something like that!

    Funny I have dreams like this on occasion. I am all of a sudden asked to fill in for Steve Howe with Yes, or one time it was for Squire. And before I know it I'm up on stage strapped to a guitar or bass and big audience and of course I can't play the material. So I improvise... Sometimes the dream audience goes for it and sometimes not.

    In real life I'm a very amateur guitarist so whatever it is I play in my dream is nothing I could do in reality.

  9. #9
    Howdy Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    4209′30″N 7108′43″W
    Posts
    2,473
    This is the guy from GTR?

    Well, we shouldn't hold that against him.

    thank god it was only a two-and-a-half-hour set!

  10. #10
    How cool was that ??

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NH USA
    Posts
    21
    Jonathan flew in the day before for the show at Tupelo in Derry NH. He did a great job. I thought it was a great show.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    3,187
    Wow, great story. I can't imagine pulling something like that off. The only time I ever saw Mover play live was with Joe Satriani. He was very impressive.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Streets of San Francisco
    Posts
    155
    Can anyone confirm, did they drop Can Utility from the set list??? That would be a crime!!!

  14. #14
    Gawd, I wish they'd make it down Texas way.

  15. #15
    They played Can Utility..... plus did some instrumentals from various albums that were beautiful. Really nice to hear this music played LIVE. That drummer was amazing.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Can anyone confirm, did they drop Can Utility from the set list??? That would be a crime!!!
    CU, Looking for Someone, and Seven Stones are gone, when I asked TMB where they went the answer was "Jonathan doesn't know them."
    Last edited by BarryLI; 03-13-2019 at 09:01 AM.

  17. #17
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    887
    How do they compare to Hackett's Genesis tour?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Streets of San Francisco
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    CU and Seven Stones are gone, when I asked TMB where they went the answer was "Jonathan doesn't know them."
    He is a great drummer and Can Utility is a 6 minute song! It would not take long to learn! Such a powerful song... one of their best. I always play that tune for newbies. It captures everything about the Peter era Genesis in slightly less than 6 minutes! 12 string, quite passages, crescendos, mellotron, beautiful work from Tony and bass pedals!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    He is a great drummer and Can Utility is a 6 minute song! It would not take long to learn! Such a powerful song... one of their best. I always play that tune for newbies. It captures everything about the Peter era Genesis in slightly less than 6 minutes! 12 string, quite passages, crescendos, mellotron, beautiful work from Tony and bass pedals!
    Saw them last night in Tarrytown, Mover was off the charts, the drum tech had to keep coming out to screw the cymbals etc back as they were coming off (lol), his playing was powerful yet he got into a pocket and stayed there, good on him. I've seen them do all of their shows at least a couple of times, the reason for going was to hear the "rarities", CU, Seven Stones, and Looking for Someone, alas none of them were played despite being on the set list before Mover joined up, which was very disappointing for me. They just dropped the set list from 26 to 23 songs, one would think they might have added something else to take their place, I mean they've played practically every Genesis song, even ones Genesis never played live.

  20. #20
    Totally weird but I have that dream at least one every other year. Sometimes Yes and sometimes Genesis.

    And Jonathan Mover was absolutely awesome last Saturday at Westbury. Who does he think he is, Alan White before the CTTE tour??? Now, that is a professional musician.

    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Mover's story is great! I don't care how professional you are, that is amazing to be able to pull off something like that!

    Funny I have dreams like this on occasion. I am all of a sudden asked to fill in for Steve Howe with Yes, or one time it was for Squire. And before I know it I'm up on stage strapped to a guitar or bass and big audience and of course I can't play the material. So I improvise... Sometimes the dream audience goes for it and sometimes not.

    In real life I'm a very amateur guitarist so whatever it is I play in my dream is nothing I could do in reality.

  21. #21
    MB also cut out CU, Seven Stones, and Looking for Someone at Westbury. First time I didn't cheat and know the set-list for a gig in ages. Glad I didn't because I enjoyed the unexpected. Really would have loved CU and SS.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •