Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis- Calling All Stations

Genesis- Calling All Stations

Finally heard this recently. Got a copy...

Seems like a good rainy day album.

Any thoughts on this one?

Did anyone seriously like it?

Seems a little unfinished sounding to my ears.

I’m one of the few who loves it. Some great music here especially the title track and “Alien Afternoon.” Wish they would’ve released another.

Sean, this is really the first time you've heard it? Or you are pulling our legs?

Uncertain Weather is the best track IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This album consistently gets slagged. I enjoyed it when it was released but haven't listened much since that time. I don't think it holds the test of time. People will complain about fade outs too.

Loved portions of it. The rest was meh.

I actually loved quite a bit of this record. It still sounds like Tony and Mike, and there are a few moments of brilliance even, IMO. That key transition in the middle of One Man’s Fool gives me goosebumps.

But Sean, was this really the first time you’ve heard it?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've never heard it. Just never had the interest.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I actually loved quite a bit of this record. It still sounds like Tony and Mike, and there are a few moments of brilliance even, IMO. That key transition in the middle of One Man’s Fool gives me goosebumps.

"One Man's Fool" is the best track there IMHO.

I have a soft spot for "Alien Afternoon", "Calling All Stations" and "Uncertain Weather". Some other cool moments, but so much missed potential.

I'm one of those few who liked it very much when it came out. I've always thought if it didn't have the "Genesis" name on it that it would have been given more of a chance in the prog community (and in general). Ray Wilson's solo stuff and Stiltskin is also worth checking out if you like his contribution to CAS.

It's a good, solid 4/5 album for me. Middle ranking for Genesis but pretty strong in its own right. Throw in all the b-sides & Ray Wilson can be very proud of his stint in the band.

Would have loved to hear another record by this line-up. Their potential was huge.

I also really like this album, and I think Ray was a good fit for the band at the time.
    I liked Ray on this but not so much for his solo stuff, it wears on me after a bit.
    I think having my heroes Mike R and Tony B on the same tracks puts the whole thing together into one nice song.

If you ever get a chance watch the Genesis Live in Poland that was broadcast during the CAS tour and captured on video.There is some great playing, and bits where Mike seems more energized when playing guitar.

I agree, I think a second album with Ray would've been a step up after one solid album and tour behind them.
    But I think we may agree, Genesis was pretty much finished after Phil left. There was no more gas in the tank and what was left were solo bits Mike and Tony had left from their Genesis writing days.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I know there were US tour dates that were cancelled (or was the whole US tour cancelled?), but does anyone know what venue(s) were scheduled for NYC or nearby? Had they initially booked MSG or something like that?

Every year, I pull out this album to see if it strikes me differently than it has before, and every year I end up concluding the same: it doesn't. There are a few bright spots, but for me, the reality is that I find it half-baked. I really don't care for it very much.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I enjoy "Calling All Stations." "A little unfinished" is a fair statement. I notice it in some of the fade-outs, plus there are a few songs that left some opportunity on the table. But, it is what it is. For me, it ended up being a good albiet different sounding Genesis album. Like others, I would have like to have seen a followup. And the Kevin Gilbert thing... Sigh.
    Chad

Calling All Stations is much better than We Can't Dance and Invisible Touch, although "Domino" is a little better than "One Man's Fool"

I've tried listening to it, and wind up getting board very quickly in. I do like the live clips with Ray that I've seen. I suppose they're from that Live in Poland Top Cap mentioned. Is that an official release? I've only seen clip on the YouTubes.

Genesis with Peter Gabriel had vision and attitude. Genesis with Phil Collins had vision and attitude--maybe not what we tend to favor at PE but it is there nonetheless. CAS has neither, leaving only instrumental prowess and a decent sense of melody. It's OK but with all the good new music coming out monthly I see no reason to revisit CAS again.

(It's really bad.)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Vic333 View Post
    I've tried listening to it, and wind up getting board
    Heh Heh...He said "board."

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    And the Kevin Gilbert thing... Sigh.
    What thing?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    CAS cancelled arena dates

Albany NY Pepsi Arena 05.11.97
    Pittsburgh PA Civic Centre 07.11.97
    Buffalo NY Marine Midland Arena 08.11.97
    Penn State Bryce Jordan Arena 11.11.97
    Grand Rapids OH Edwin Nutter Centre 12.11.97
    Detroit MI Palace of Auburn Hills 14.11.97
    Cleveland OH Gund Arena 15.11.97
    Madison WI Dane County Exposition Centre 18.11.97
    Milwaukee WI Bradley Centre 19.11.97
    St Louis MI Kiel Centre 21.11.97
    Chicago ILL Rosemont Horizon 22.11.97
    Ottawa Corel Centre 25.11.97
    Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens 27.11.97
    Montreal Molson Centre 28.11.97
    Philadelphia Corestate Centre 5-6.12.97
    Boston Fleet Centre 09.12.97
    Hartford Civic Centre 11.12.97
    Long Island Nassau Coliseum 12.12.97
    Landover USAir Arena 13.12.97
    Miami Arena 18.12.97
    Orlando Arena 19.12.97
    Tampa Ice Palace 21.12.97

CAS cancelled theater dates, after the tour was scaled down due to album sales

Milwaukee Riverside Theatre 05.11.97
    Normal Braden Auditorium 08.11.97
    Chicago Rosemont Theatre 09.11.97
    St Louis Fox Theatre 12.11.97
    Auburn Hills Palace of Auburn Hills 14.11.97
    Columbus Veterans Memorial Auditorium 15.11.97
    Toronto Hummingbird Centre 17 - 18.11.97
    Ottawa Civic Centre Theatre 21.11.97
    New York Beacon Theatre 23 - 24.11.97
    Montreal Molson Centre Theatre 28.11.97
    Boston Orpheum Theatre 04.12.97
    Hartford Meadows Music Centre 06.12.97
    Philadelphia Tower Theatre 10-11.12.97
    Washington MCI Theatre 14.12.97
    Pittsburgh A J Palumbo Centre 15.12.97
    Grand Rapids Van Andel Arena 18.12.97
    Cleveland Music Hall 19-20.12.97

Source: http://www.twronline.net/issues/twr40/twr40_g18.htm
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What thing?
    He was due to audition for the lead singer role, but before that could happen, he accidentally died as a result of "autoerotic asphyxiation".

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I’m one of the few who loves it. Some great music here especially the title track and “Alien Afternoon.” Wish they would’ve released another.
    Ditto on all counts. They were very good live as well... a follow up with Ray as a full contributing member would have been great imho.

"Alien Afternoon," "The Dividing Line," "Uncertain Weather," and especially "One Man's Fool" are great, in my opinion. I'm actually a bit astonished more people DON'T like "One Man's Fool," but que sera sera.

I like "Small Talk," so sue me, but it's not the best thing they ever did. I used to like the title song a lot but I've cooled to it more now.

The rest is okay to passable; only "If That's What You Need" is tiresome to me.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

A good album with plenty of potential if they made another record. Was initially put off because Banks and Rutherford were saying before it’s release that it would be ‘darker’ and left the impression they would return to a more progressive sound. What it turned out to be was one big compromise . Moving away from the sound of the recent hits proved too much and CAS wasn’t what was promised. Rutherford bailed before they made another album and that was it for Genesis.