Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis- Calling All Stations

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I enjoy "Calling All Stations." "A little unfinished" is a fair statement. I notice it in some of the fade-outs, plus there are a few songs that left some opportunity on the table. But, it is what it is. For me, it ended up being a good albiet different sounding Genesis album. Like others, I would have like to have seen a followup. And the Kevin Gilbert thing... Sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Calling All Stations is much better than We Can't Dance and Invisible Touch, although "Domino" is a little better than "One Man's Fool"
    Yep. Agree with all of this ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Hard to believe. As much time has now passed since then as passed between Trespass and We Can't Dance...
    Yikes. Man, we're all getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post

Calling it Genesis didn't do CAS any favors but had this been a new group they might have gotten more traction or at least CAS would be remembered more fondly all these years later.
    I never agree with this type of take. And I see it often, with various artists. The name doesn't really mean much to me, at the end of the day. If the music is good, if it moves me, it doesn't matter what it's called, or when it was written, or what the name on the album cover is.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It still sounds like 'Genesis' for me, certainly the better songs I highlighted do. The problem was that Genesis albums at that point were expected to have big hits and there just wasn't a song that could have managed that here. But anyway even if there was, the music industry had changed- it's possible, maybe even likely, that they wouldn't have done that much better with Collins. (Actually I'd cite the dismal performance of Collins' own Dance Into The Light as an indicator!)

Really they were one of the very last of the 'old guard' rock bands to manage a genuine multi-platinum blockbuster album anyway, with 1992's We Can't Dance. I'd struggle to think of many subsequent albums by older artists who commercially outperformed it. Not even the likes of McCartney, The 'Stones, Elton John etc.
    Last edited by JJ88; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    It still sounds like 'Genesis' for me, certainly the better songs I highlighted do. The problem was that Genesis albums at that point were expected to have big hits and there just wasn't a song that could have managed that here. But anyway even if there was, the music industry had changed- it's possible, maybe even likely, that they wouldn't have done that much better with Collins. (Actually I'd cite the dismal performance of Collins' own Dance Into The Light as an indicator!)

Really they were one of the very last of the 'old guard' rock bands to manage a genuine multi-platinum blockbuster album anyway, with 1992's We Can't Dance. I'd struggle to think of many subsequent albums by older artists who commercially outperformed it. Not even the likes of McCartney, The 'Stones, Elton John etc.
    You may be right about Genesis not doing much better with Collins on CAS but they would have been able to tour. Collins Dance Into the Light was even more disappointing then CAS. From what I remember, I was especially disappointed in his drumming.

The only ‘old guard’ group to sell anything like WCD , is probably Elton John’s Lion King (probably shouldn’t count that as it’s a soundtrack),but beyond that I don’t know anything that is close.

Collins admitted in his AXS-TV interview: By the time he left Genesis, he had been in people's faces for too many years doing Genesis and solo albums and had worn out his welcome with the listening public.

^The elephant in the room RE; Collins' 90s/00s solo work is that, for me, it's just not as good as what he did in the 80s. But having said that whilst I have issues with Both Sides, I can see why it has its fans, including some who think it's his best. I cannot imagine many who'd feel similarly impassioned about DITL or Testify.

But I think he was given far too much flak for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    You may be right about Genesis not doing much better with Collins on CAS but they would have been able to tour.
    Oh yes, definitely- Collins' 90s/00s albums didn't sell in the way that they did in the 80s, but he remains a strong concert draw to this day. And the same would be true of a Genesis with him.

Well, Phil Collins did ruin the planet.

Collins' 90s/00s albums didn't sell in the way that they did in the 80s...
    His albums still sold well, especially Both Sides:

Both Sides 4 million
    Dance Into the Light 2 million
    Testify 1 million

------
    No Jacket Required a surreal number sold

^The elephant in the room RE; Collins' 90s/00s solo work is that, for me, it's just not as good as what he did in the 80s. But having said that whilst I have issues with Both Sides, I can see why it has its fans, including some who think it's his best. I cannot imagine many who'd feel similarly impassioned about DITL or Testify.
    I am one of those who feels Both Sides is his best work. But no, I've never heard anyone cite either of those other two as their favourite. Probably someone out there someone thinks so though. Dance Into The Light didn't do as well, but the singles still got automatically played on the radio, which meant that the dentist office waiting room & soccer mom crowd still heard and (presumably) liked it. And his live shows all through that period were still a big draw. I highly doubt that a Phil-fronted Genesis would have ever had to cancel a tour, even in the late 90s when it was still too early to call it a nostalgia thing. There are/were just too many people who would still go to see them, whether they gave a damn about a new album or not. And I suppose of those many more casual fans who are mostly going so they can dance and wave lighters around to the hit songs they remember, the idea of going to see... those other two guys without Phil was obviously enough for them to say "I'll pass".

BTW, it's only been recently that I've come to realize that Testify actually has a few decent tracks among the blandness. Maybe because I'm getting older? Who knows...
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Totally agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    BTW, it's only been recently that I've come to realize that Testify actually has a few decent tracks among the blandness. Maybe because I'm getting older? Who knows...
    Actually, I feel the same way. I still really like "Don't Get Me Started", it kinda reminds me of something that could've been on Face Value maybe.

Testify was still very lackluster IMO, but it has a few bright spots.

I don't have an overwhelming desire to listen to either again...from memory 'Lorenzo' was OK. I find much more to like about CAS!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Totally agreed.

Actually, I feel the same way. I still really like "Don't Get Me Started", it kinda reminds me of something that could've been on Face Value maybe.

Testify was still very lackluster IMO, but it has a few bright spots.
    I like the first 4 songs on Testify quite a bit, the rest are so-so IMO.

My favorite will always be Both Sides.

Well, Phil Collins did ruin the planet.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice

I quite like CAS - especially Congo and Shipwrecked. Like most people, the fade-outs ruin much of it, and the title track doesn't go anywhere. Having just read Rutherford's autobiography, he felt they missed Collins' ability to rein in his and Banks' excesses and would have needed another writer to do another album (Ray Wilson is actually a good writer and his solo albums are pretty good!) - it was his decision to pull the plug on Genesis as Banks and Wilson wanted to carry on.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Would you (anyone here, that is) include any of the b-sides with yamishogun's tracklist?

1. Papa He Said (4:09)
    2. Banjo Man (4:22)
    3. Phret (4:05)
    4. 7/8 (5:13)
    5. Anything Now (7:03)
    6. Sign Your Life Away (4:45)
    7. Run Out of Time (6:36)
    8. Nowhere Else to Turn (4:35)
    I always thought Banjo Man could have been a hit in the same way "That's All" was. I think it has a similar sort of "happy" Genesis sound that could have appealed to a wide audience, and I think it's a catchy tune. But maybe it's just that it didn't have Phil. And obviously some kind of label support/management was lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by everyday View Post
    Banks and Wilson wanted to carry on.
    I would have been fine if this actually happened, maybe under Banks' name. It could have been pretty satisfying if Banks had assembled a solid band around him (like Hackett) and continued on.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I would have been fine if this actually happened, maybe under Banks' name. It could have been pretty satisfying if Banks had assembled a solid band around him (like Hackett) and continued on.
    I get that. But to paraphrase Tony Smith, Genesis was Tony Banks' solo career. So I had no issues with him and Mike making new music under the Genesis name.

I quite like CAS - especially Congo and Shipwrecked. Like most people, the fade-outs ruin much of it, and the title track doesn't go anywhere.
    I don't see how a fade-out can ruin much of a song. Some Genesis fade-outs on four albums I checked:

Squonk
    Ripples
    A Trick of a Tail
    --------
    Los Endos
    Afterglow
    ---------
    Ballad of Big
    Snowman
    Deep In the Motherlode
    The Lady Lies
    Follow You, Follow Me
    ---------
    Invisible Touch
    Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
    In Too Deep
    Throwing It All Away
    The Brazilian

I don't see how a fade-out can ruin much of a song. Some Genesis fade-outs on four albums I checked:

Squonk
    Ripples
    A Trick of a Tail
    --------
    Los Endos
    Afterglow
    ---------
    Ballad of Big
    Snowman
    Deep In the Motherlode
    The Lady Lies
    Follow You, Follow Me
    ---------
    Invisible Touch
    Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
    In Too Deep
    Throwing It All Away
    The Brazilian

Always thought the same thing this is way over blown... fade outs are pretty normal and never stood out on CAS more than any other LP. The Abacab songs are all most all fade outs.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I get that. But to paraphrase Tony Smith, Genesis was Tony Banks' solo career. So I had no issues with him and Mike making new music under the Genesis name.
    No, I didn't, either. My point is that he could have done that without Mike, and with Ray and some other stellar musicians.

I quite like CAS - especially Congo and Shipwrecked. Like most people, the fade-outs ruin much of it, and the title track doesn't go anywhere. Having just read Rutherford's autobiography, he felt they missed Collins' ability to rein in his and Banks' excesses and would have needed another writer to do another album (Ray Wilson is actually a good writer and his solo albums are pretty good!) - it was his decision to pull the plug on Genesis as Banks and Wilson wanted to carry on.
    I heard a Banks interview recently where he said he didn't think Genesis without Phil would work but Rutherford convinced him to do CAS. Then after the tour it was the opposite, Banks thought they had learned to work without Phil and wanted to do another album but Rutherford thought there was no point.

It sounded like a dirgy post-punk album, in the vein of "Mama" and "Tonight Tonight Tonight," but without the character or passion that Phil brought to the band. The best song was "Uncertain Weather, by a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, I didn't, either. My point is that he could have done that without Mike, and with Ray and some other stellar musicians.
    Oh oops! I misread what your original post said and thought that you were talking about Tony and Mike -- But you were actually referring to Tony and Ray. My bad!

I think their commercial prospects would have been greatly diminished if they had gone on. Cancelling a US tour due to low audience interest is not a good look by any means, and that trend would have continued IMHO. The 2007 tour restored their reputation in that regard.

Wiki doesn't have U.S. album sales listed but based on other countries,

Calling All Stations almost 1 million copies

We Can't Dance 9 million
    Invisible Touch 8 million
    Genesis 6 million
    Abacab 2 million
    Duke 1 million
    ATTWT ?
    Wind & Wuthering 250,000
    A Trick of the Tail 600,000
    TLLDoB 800,000
    SEbtP 800,000
    Last edited by yamishogun; 1 Week Ago at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Always thought the same thing this is way over blown... fade outs are pretty normal and never stood out on CAS more than any other LP. The Abacab songs are all most all fade outs.
    I agree that fade outs are indeed pretty common but what is particularly jarring on the title track is that it fades out just as Ray is hitting a peak on vocals. The live version is much better in that respect. I think it's mostly that fade out on the title track that is the cause of the complaint which has then been extended to the rest of the album even though it is less problematic.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.