Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD : Eddie Jobson : Zinc (The Green Album)

FEATURED CD : Eddie Jobson : Zinc (The Green Album)

Per AllMusic:

After his stint with Jethro Tull and as the wave of new romantic pop groups were taking control of the airwaves, Eddie Jobson entered the studio to record his first solo album, known as Zinc, although it was meant to be titled "The Green Album" and billed to the band name "Zinc" -- the record company messed things up quite a bit. This is an honest effort of when-prog rock-meets-synth pop. The songs are often better than Drama-era Yes and turn-of-the-'80s FM or Saga. In terms of writing and production, it sounds like Jobson is emulating Rupert Hine, whose art-pop gem Immunity came out two years before Zinc. Jobson handles all keyboards, vocals, and electric violin. Alon Oleartchik and Jerry Watts split bass duties, Michael Barsimanto supplies very early-'80s-sounding drum tracks (cold and square). Nick Moroch, Cary Sharaf, Michael Cuneo and Gentle Giant's Gary Green appear here and there on electric guitar. Jobson's lyrics are poor and his attempt to tie them together with a "green" theme doesn't help. Luckily, the music is better, with "Green Face" and "Resident" standing out as two of the best synth pop songs produced in that era. The second half of the album gets weaker as ideas run thin, but the first half offers a very nice blend of pop songs and instrumentals. Jobson's high-pitched voice is nothing to write home about, but he conceals it with the favorite gizmo of the time: the vocoder. Of course, the album sounds very dated, but collectors will find it has its moments.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/zinc-t...m-mw0000098632

Regards,

Duncan

One of the best gifts I've ever recieved. Told that to Eddie when I met him before the UK show in Arizona in May.

I F*ing LOVE this album. It's easily in my top 5 of all time. And I love the drums sound on it. Of all the 80's type big gated drums it's the best. I love the production on this in general. Who My Friends is probably my favorite song- tell me that's not one of the heaviest prog breaks ever.

I don't usually use this much hyperbole talking about anyone besides us

BTW- I got this on cd at Circuit City for $8 back in the mid 90's. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    BTW- I got this on cd at Circuit City for $8 back in the mid 90's. Sweet!
    I got the vinyl back in July 1983 at the Broadway and 4th Tower Records store in NYC. At the time it was advertised as the largest record store in the world. Later on I got a copy of the album in green vinyl and I also got the the CD version when it came out in 1993. I still have the long box that came with the CD. I am a big fan of the album.

I had the vinyl too back when it was released but not the green. That would have been excellent.

I F*ing LOVE this album. It's easily in my top 5 of all time.
    Same here...Top 5. I've been in love with this album since I bought the vinyl back when it was first released in '83. Grabbed the CD when that first came out as well. Whole thing is a classic to me. I'm not usually into autographs, but I was thrilled to have Eddie sign my copy of the CD when I met him at his show at BB Kings a couple years back.

I had the vinyl too back when it was released but not the green. That would have been excellent.
    Not my copy, but you get the idea:

2936189897-2.jpg

green album.JPG

Banned
    A fantastic album from the 80's. I have this on the green vinyl and the One Way records CD reissue. The 80's were ok.

i know the first version i ever had of this was in LP format but i know it wasn't green. was that a special pressing?
    i too got the One Way release on CD. got it in the mid to late 90's and still have it.
    as far as the album, liked it but always thought it was too keyboard heavy and sounds a bit 'mechanical' as a result. it contrasts greatly with the first UK album in which the keyboards and guitar were nicely mixed.
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 12-15-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    love the instrumental in the middle but to this day cannot figure out the time signature of the intro and outro
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    What vocoder? I have listened to this at least a thousand times and I never heard him use a vocoder to enhance his voice...........have you?

great one, but very much a period piece. still enjoy listening to it on a regular basis1

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What vocoder? I have listened to this at least a thousand times and I never heard him use a vocoder to enhance his voice...........have you?
    The only place I would think a vocoder is being used would be on Listen To Reason. The places I think it is used is twice after the line "Leave it alone" (Around 1:29 (but they won't go away) & 1:36 (but it is here to stay)) and another two times after the line "Leave it alone" (Around 2:32 (but they won't go away) & 2:39 (but it is here to stay) ).

Last edited by enpdllp; 12-15-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    love the instrumental in the middle but to this day cannot figure out the time signature of the intro and outro
    Just playing the song back in my head it's in 11/4. I'll have to play the video and try and count it and see if 'm right...

Where's Ant? Where's Ian? (Inside joke for my Facebook friends)

I love this album, IMOF it was my first venture in the world of Eddie Jobson when I purchased this on vinyl way back in 1988 and my love for this genius took off from there.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Just playing the song back in my head it's in 11/4. I'll have to play the video and try and count it and see if 'm right...
    Yep, 11/4. Good call.

I started to like this album when I got it on CD in the 90s. I did have it on vinyl back in the day, but I always thought it was the worst sounding LPs I had ever heard. Mine was tinny, and the music just sounded like mush. The CD is much richer and clearer. I think the description in the review is pretty accurate, Prog rock meets Art Pop. For me this is probably the most successful marriage of these styles I've ever heard, mostly because Jobson isn't afraid of flexing a little muscle from time to time, as in Who My Friends, as well as several other tracks. Lots of interesting little synth interludes as well that give the album a kind of mysterious vibe. Not a top favorite, but one I like very much and one that is quite unique in my collection.

Bill

This is one of my Holy Grails, any plans to reissue it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    This is one of my Holy Grails, any plans to reissue it?
    What will you give me for my copy

The video for Turn It Over used to be on you tube. I can't find it now. It was originally on a compilation vhs tape,Picture Music. The video was one of the coolest ones I ever saw on MTV. "Hi-fi sounds and new effects,Green is now,The Pink is next." I asked Eddie about The Pink Album and he told me it will come out someday.

The album would have been better if it was instrumental, or had another singer.
    Funny thing is the mentioning of his hairdresser.
    When a friend of mine looked at the picture on the back, he asked if Eddie Jobson was going for a sex-change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    The video for Turn It Over used to be on you tube. I can't find it now. It was originally on a compilation vhs tape,Picture Music. The video was one of the coolest ones I ever saw on MTV. "Hi-fi sounds and new effects,Green is now,The Pink is next." I asked Eddie about The Pink Album and he told me it will come out someday.
    http://www.80smusicvids.com/index.ph...rn_It_Over&a=a

thanks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What will you give me for my copy
    That's what I was wondering. Is the CD still going for a good amount?

It currently sells for $36-$40 on amazon. A year or two ago, when I last thought "I would love to have this on cd", there were a couple of copies in the low $20s. Shame I didn't jump on one then...

But my vinyl is no collector's item... That goes for $5! :-(