Thread: KANSAS Live In Baltimore

KANSAS Live In Baltimore

Saw Kansas in Baltimore for their Point of No Return tour. The show was a makeup show since it was originally scheduled for last November.
    The band was on fire! Once again I got my money's worth from them. This was my 5th time seeing them since 2000. They have gotten better with age.
    Everybody in the band was having fun and their enthusiasm really caught on with the audience.

Each band member shined with musicianship that was top shelf. Everybody had their place and knew were to fit in. Tom Brislin is a beast I've never seen
    him live before until now. Kansas is blessed to have him. He played with such precision it was crazy. He even had the various keyboard and synth sounds
    just like the records. I can't wait to see want they come up with when they go back in the studio with him.

This was the setlist. If you get a chance to see them do it. You won't be disappointed. 2 1/2 hours of musical bliss

Acoustic set

People of the South Wind
    Hope Once Again
    Hold On
    Refugee
    Lonely Wind

Electric set

Cold Grey Morning
    Two Cents Worth
    Mysteries and Mayhem / Lamplight Symphony
    The Wall
    Song for America
    Wheels
    Summer
    Musicatto
    Taking in the View
    Miracles Out of Nowhere
    Point of Know Return in it's entirety

Encore:
    Carry On Wayward Son

Sorry I didn't go. I love me some Kansas; so many darnn notes. ;-)

I also love Tom Brislin in no matter what form in performs. Genuinely nice guy, too!

I had two comp tickets from last year so I took my wife. They were good and we had a good time. I was kind of glad they cancelled last year because the weather was really crappy. What was the weather like last night, really crappy.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Nice review. I really like some of the rarities they are pulling out.

Banned
    I was in the 7th row center. I’m not a huge Kansas fan but I agree it was a very god show and good energy from all except maybe Rich Williams who did a fine job but looks like he’s getting understandably tired. Ronnie Plat did a fantastic job belting out the lead vocals and the sound was generally good although the violin and keyboards were more prevalent then the guitars most of the time. In particular Mr. Williams was often too low in the mix from where I sat. They really played as a band and there were moments of prog bliss to go with the more twee/pop material.

It was my daughter’s first time seeing a real rock concert and she LOVED it and was bobbing away like a head banger which rather surprised me - I think she’s got the bug now! We’re already planning our next concert: Iron and Wine.

BTW They did a great job on the eternal classic Dust in the Wind which I mention since it was left out of the above set list.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

We’re already planning our next concert: Iron and Wine.
    Iron and Wine gave a good show when I saw them like ten years ago. Blitzen Trapper opened. It was a pleasantly un-loud show.

except maybe Rich Williams who did a fine job but looks like he’s getting understandably tired.
    Rich has always been a sort of John Entwistle-esque "statue" player in all the live performances I've seen, though.

BTW They did a great job on the eternal classic Dust in the Wind which I mention since it was left out of the above set list.
    It wasn't left off; it was on Point of Know Return and the OP says they did Point of Know Return in its entirety.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I was there in row Q. Excellent show, and Tom Brislin was in fine form. Hopefully this means they will write some new music with him, that could be interesting. It always kind of bums me out when then they play Mysteries and Mayhem and don't go into The Pinnacle, maybe they will pull that one out of retirement next tour.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It wasn't left off; it was on Point of Know Return and the OP says they did Point of Know Return in its entirety.
    Oops my mistake. Shows you how well I know Kansas...

That seems like it was a pretty long show, huh?
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

Banned
    It was about 2 1/2 hours without any significant break between songs except for the encore. My hats off to them, they really put it out there and tried to give their fans their money's worth.

FANTASTIC SHOW. I'm so proud of my friend Tom Brislin and he freakin' nailed it. I heard they did a bunch of parts of songs that they'd never done from the studio albums on stage ever before. Believe it or not it was my 1st Kansas show so I couldn't tell you personally but I believe my sources.

Them's some seriously deep cuts... Really looking forward to this! I'm seeing them in Des Moines on Friday and, yeah, wow...

BTW these longer album-oriented shows seem to have really helped attendance. I picked up the very last pair of tickets available at quite a large theater in DM. Gone are the days when they were playing 75 minutes of "greatest hits" to half-full venues or corn-dog fairs.

Great too see Kansas pull out some unexpected tracks and perform them so well, fabulous band.

An acoustic set without Dust in the Wind? That'd be kind of like Deep Purple not playing Smoke on the Water, or Zeppelin not playing Stairway.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    An acoustic set without Dust in the Wind? That'd be kind of like Deep Purple not playing Smoke on the Water, or Zeppelin not playing Stairway.
    Again, "Dust in the Wind" was part of the Point of Know Return album, and they played the entire album in its entirety in order.

It was about 2 1/2 hours without any significant break between songs except for the encore. My hats off to them, they really put it out there and tried to give their fans their money's worth.
    Which is what they should be doing every show. Unlike the short Walsh era shows of the past.

I have a friend who won't see Ambrosia with me because: no David Pack. He also won't see Kansas because-you guessed it: no Steve Walsh. Thing is, sometimes the shows are better when a few members are replaced from classic lineups. This is another thread entirely but got me thinking.

I was stunned how much I enjoyed the recent Kansas show. Had to admit - enjoyed it as much if not more than the run of shows I saw in the late 90's with Walsh/Steindhart in the band.

Of course you miss those guys but that setlist they are running out there - tough to beat if you got worn out by the same 12 songs they seemed to play for a decade.

A few observations and thoughts from last night's show in Des Moines.

1. Great setlist, but I already knew that. Acoustic and 1st Electric set were great, even with songs I didn't know (Wheels). POKR set was rushed. There should have been an intermission and some talking breaks throughout the album.
    2. For the first time since 1982 the mix of a Kansas show I have attended was great. Every instrument loud and clear. Still too loud, Kansas always is, but the last two times I saw them the low end was pure mud and overwhelmed Rich and Rags. So this was a joy.
    3. Platt sounds better every time out. He has really revitalized this band. Sellout crowd.
    4. Brislin was fantastic. Again for the first time for me since 82 (last time I saw them with Livgren) there were real substantive prog keyboard solos. I hope they can keep Brislin. He seemed to have fun.
    5. Rich took some time to warm up. Struggled during the acoustic set, but fared much better on electric. I'm guessing he may retire soon, which is one reason they have Rivzi (sp?) on board.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    5. Rich took some time to warm up. Struggled during the acoustic set, but fared much better on electric. I'm guessing he may retire soon, which is one reason they have Rivzi (sp?) on board.
    I could deal with Walsh leaving, because his heart hadn't been in it for years. Williams leaving would be a shock. I know he's getting older but he's seemed in all past interviews to be loaded for bear with future Kansas plans. For all the artistry associated with Livgren's writing, Walsh's vocals and Steinhardt's violin, Williams has been the anchor that has made it all "Kansas" to me.

Jon Neudorf
    Just announced the Saskatoon concert on April 30 has been cancelled. I'm so disappointed. I have wanted to see this band since i discovered them around 75. I could cry right now.

If anyone lives near Baltimore there is an excellent cover band playing tonight at a place called Club 66 in Edgewood Maryland. They are Black Light Orchestra and will be doing all of Animals by Pink Floyd plus other 70's progressive rock like Camel, Kansas,KC,Jethro Tull,YES,Genesis,Zappa,Rush and others. The cover is $20 and is BYOB. I have only been there twice so I'm not sure how minimal seating is. Show starts at 8PM.
    Last edited by Shadow; 05-04-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!