Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: R.I.P Paul Williams

  1. #1
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    321

    R.I.P Paul Williams

    "One of the finest British singers, Paul Williams, has died today at the age of 78, a man whose voice graced such diverse collectives as JUICY LUCY, TEMPEST and Allan Holdsworth’s I.O.U."

    http://dmme.net/paul-williams-passed...UIyx0B9oBRQB9U

  2. #2
    Jee. We just discussed his work on Holdsworth's Live In Japan 1984. I've played the first Tempest a lot when I found a second hand copy of the LP in '79. It was great he teamed up with Allan again in I.O.U.

  3. #3
    Pikachupacabra spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    984
    Rest in peace.

  4. #4
    At first, I thought it was this Paul Williams, who is also 78.

    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    At first, I thought it was this Paul Williams, who is also 78.
    I did too but then I remembered that he's immortal.

  6. #6
    Member Lopez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Medford, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,377
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    At first, I thought it was this Paul Williams, who is also 78.
    Same here, but then I thought it might be the Paul Williams who founded Crawdaddy magazine, but he died 6 years ago.
    Lou

    Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,360
    Excellent work from him on that Tempest debut. Sadly most of that band is no longer with us now. RIP.

  8. #8
    Member hippypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tyler, Tx
    Posts
    592
    An actor at times too. I just saw a guest appearance on Babylon 5.

  9. #9
    Member rickawakeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Posts
    409
    Wow, was just enjoying the AH/IOU DVD...RIP..

  10. #10
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,887
    RIP

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Excellent work from him on that Tempest debut. Sadly most of that band is no longer with us now. RIP.
    Well observed.
    Only Mark Clarke is with us; Jon, Allan, Ollie and now Paul can play "heavenly" music together It would sound someting like this:


  12. #12
    Howdy Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    2,379
    He had just released an album in the past year, any good?

    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thunder-.../dp/B07L8LB3ML

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    He had just released an album in the past year, any good?

    https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Thunder-.../dp/B07L8LB3ML
    Didn't know that. Just noticed on http://paulwilliams-uk.com/store.html David Hentschel played keyboards!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Iowa City IA
    Posts
    1,193
    RIP. Paul Williams was a really talented guy. As I said last week on the IOU DVD thread, I think Williams was the perfect vocalist on Allan's songs. Weathered, world-weary but also passionate. Too bad there wasn't more use in this world for his talents.

  15. #15
    Explains why Paul wasn't at the recent Jon Hiseman tribute, no idea he was ill. Saw him once singing with Colosseum when Chris Farlowe was unable to perform due to a previous engagement.

  16. #16
    Member SunshipVoyager1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Philadelphia 'burbs
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    RIP. Paul Williams was a really talented guy. As I said last week on the IOU DVD thread, I think Williams was the perfect vocalist on Allan's songs. Weathered, world-weary but also passionate. Too bad there wasn't more use in this world for his talents.
    When I first heard Tempest (whom I grew to adore), I mistook Paul for Jack Bruce. As Jack was one of my favorite singers of that era, no bad thing. A wonderful voice silenced. R.I.P.

  17. #17
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,183
    Phew! Isn't our Quarkspace/Church Of Hed PE compatriot.
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  18. #18
    Sorry to hear this.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    453
    As it happens, the first AH I ever bought was Road Games when it was released. I remember thinking how much Williams' voice quality was similar to Jack Bruce, but as time went on I came to appreciate him on his own merits. To be able to go on stage as a member of AH's band must have been an incredible experience. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  20. #20
    Progga mogrooves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Past
    Posts
    1,751
    Spinning Aynsley Dunbar's Blue Whale now.

    RIP
    Michael: "Harold, don't you have any other music, you know, from [last] century?"
    Harold: "There is no other music....."

  21. #21
    I will always remember him the most for his singing on Dick Heckstall-Smith's solo album from 1972, A Story Ended. RIP.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

  22. #22
    Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Plague Sanctuary, Vermont
    Posts
    1,059
    RIP. Always enjoyed his singing on the IOU stuff.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

  23. #23
    Member gearHed289's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Jee. We just discussed his work on Holdsworth's Live In Japan 1984. I've played the first Tempest a lot when I found a second hand copy of the LP in '79. It was great he teamed up with Allan again in I.O.U.
    Yeah, I thought about posting there, but I figured he deserved his own thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    When I first heard Tempest (whom I grew to adore), I mistook Paul for Jack Bruce. As Jack was one of my favorite singers of that era, no bad thing. A wonderful voice silenced. R.I.P.
    I can totally see (hear) that comparison.

  24. #24
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,179
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    An actor at times too. I just saw a guest appearance on Babylon 5.
    That was the other Paul Williams--the Carpenters songwriter, not the I.O.U./Tempest singer.

  25. #25
    The Paul Williams who sang with Holdsworth is also the guy who played bass on a cut from John Mayall's Diary Of A Band, right? I have one of those albums.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •