Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New music from Alan Parsons

Another new track from this Parsons album - this one with Lou Gramm on vocals:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Another one that sounds like it was written for the end credits of a movie.

This is just bland Soft Rock for the barely breathing. I haven't followed his "solo" career, so he may have been on that bus for a long time now, but I have to think that a young Alan Parsons would have cringed had he known his name would be attached to something like the tracks presented so far for this album. Just my opinion.

Yeah, so far what I have heard has been pretty middle of the road.

Nothing here is making me want to get this album so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

Lou Gramm sounds great, it's almost like the music and song is a bit dull in comparison to his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    This is just bland Soft Rock for the barely breathing. I haven't followed his "solo" career, so he may have been on that bus for a long time now, .
    No. His 1993 Try Anything Once is better than anything he did with The Project. His 1996 On Air is a step down but very good as is The Time Machine. This album is an outlier in a bad way.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    No. His 1993 Try Anything Once is better than anything he did with The Project. His 1996 On Air is a step down but very good as is The Time Machine. This album is an outlier in a bad way.
    Don't think I would call Try Anything Once as the best record that has his name on it, but it is an excellent album. I agree that the following two are a step down, as is A Valid Path. I give APV points for trying something new for him, but I don't think as a whole the listening public was too impressed. I hope the rest of the new album does not follow the style of the 3 tracks that have videos already.

I bought On Air a couple months ago. So far it's only gotten one spin, but first impression was not good.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I bought On Air a couple months ago. So far it's only gotten one spin, but first impression was not good.
    To each his own I guess but I really like both Try Anything Once and On Air. Also the criticism earlier up in the thread about Alan Parsons delivering Soft Rock or MOR haven't really listened to his music I guess because that style is pretty much Parsons (and as such Woolfson's) bread and butter. The only difference is that those type of songs where offset by pieces a bit closer to progrock. So far everything I heard fits right in with his accesible work from the 80s albeit maybe not the same level.

i really liked 1999's The Time Machine.....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    To each his own I guess but I really like both Try Anything Once and On Air. Also the criticism earlier up in the thread about Alan Parsons delivering Soft Rock or MOR haven't really listened to his music I guess because that style is pretty much Parsons (and as such Woolfson's) bread and butter. The only difference is that those type of songs where offset by pieces a bit closer to progrock. So far everything I heard fits right in with his accesible work from the 80s albeit maybe not the same level.
    Completely agree.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    So far everything I heard fits right in with his accesible work from the 80s albeit maybe not the same level.
    Definitely not at the same level. Compare these songs with APP's accessible 80s songs "Don't Answer Me" and "Higher Ground."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Alan Parsons has always trended towards Broadway as far back as Eye In The Sky. There had always been a shower stuff mixed with the meatier stuff (relatively speaking). What started dropping off was the meatier stuff. Ammonia Avenue is the last APP album I can listen to all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Ammonia Avenue is the last APP album I can listen to all the way through.
    Interesting since Vulture Culture was originally supposed to be part of Ammonia Avenue as a double album:

wiki:"Originally, the album was intended to be the second LP of a double album, with Ammonia Avenue being the first. After the discs were split into separate albums, Vulture Culture was given a more modern (for the time) studio treatment with harder-hitting drums and dynamics. "Sooner or Later" was described by Parsons himself as "the third attempt to try and get another hit with the "Eye in the Sky"-esque chugging guitar line – "Prime Time" from Ammonia Avenue was the second, which I thought was a little more successful in that respect."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Interesting since Vulture Culture was originally supposed to be part of Ammonia Avenue as a double album:

wiki:"Originally, the album was intended to be the second LP of a double album, with Ammonia Avenue being the first. After the discs were split into separate albums, Vulture Culture was given a more modern (for the time) studio treatment with harder-hitting drums and dynamics. "Sooner or Later" was described by Parsons himself as "the third attempt to try and get another hit with the "Eye in the Sky"-esque chugging guitar line – "Prime Time" from Ammonia Avenue was the second, which I thought was a little more successful in that respect."
    I remember seeing Vulture Culture in the Navy PX and having it take me off guard since I hadn't heard anything from it. It's ok. Stereotomy was better, but still.had its showy songs on it.

Banned

This track is another example of Alan Parsons' geniousity. He did it exactly in "retro" style of Adult Oriented Rock genre that was recognized as such by British journalists and the records dealers in the mid / late Seventies (the mid /late '70s albums of Billy Joel, Al Stewart, Garry Rafferty, Seals & Crofts and so on) and yet he did it original, fresh and - beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Alan Parsons has always trended towards Broadway as far back as Eye In The Sky. There had always been a shower stuff mixed with the meatier stuff (relatively speaking). What started dropping off was the meatier stuff. Ammonia Avenue is the last APP album I can listen to all the way through.
    The showtunes / Broadway element came mostly from Woolfson I reckon which is supported by the fact that when Parsons and Woolfson split (during the production of Freudiana which is a lot more Broadway then anything before) Woolfson had a pretty succesful career writing musicals of which most of them got big productions in Germany and Austria.

Another new song from this new Alan Parsons record - pretty cool music video with lots of APP references and a nice nod to Woolfson. This, to me, is the best of the songs we have heard so far from this release.

i downloaded the album today, will give it a listen over the weekend.

Another new song from this new Alan Parsons record - pretty cool music video with lots of APP references and a nice nod to Woolfson. This, to me, is the best of the songs we have heard so far from this release.

deo]
    Really like that one and agree the video is a good one.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

I agree the video is kind of fun, but IMO the song isn't really any better than what we
    we've heard so far. I can't really believe this album is going to sell much, except maybe if he has a big following in Japan or something.

Okay- I really like this last one (including the video). I’ll probably pick up the disc. Didn’t particularly enjoy the Lou Gramm one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I agree the video is kind of fun, but IMO the song isn't really any better than what we
    we've heard so far. I can't really believe this album is going to sell much, except maybe if he has a big following in Japan or something.
    Well, he had a following in Japan. This song is sort of a classic APP lite, whereas the others so far don't seem related to the history of AP.

i gave it a listen this morning. it's a good album. many great songs and Lou Gramm is a highlight.
    it just seem to lack bass and guitars. i wish he recorded this album with a full band and not using synths and drum machines.