Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: U.K.: "Night After Night-Extended" coming 03/08/2019

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

It doesn't sound exactly unlike the Reunion drum sound.

Finally received my copy of Night After Night-Extended yesterday. First time hearing this album since it was released in '79 (I heard it at a friend's place). Indeed it's a great performance from the band and it's great to have the whole concert in one place. While I love the new 5.1 remix of the album, I'm not happy there's no 'main menu' page (and no way to go directly to a song as you can with virtually every other Blu-Ray or DVD-A/DVD release).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Finally received my copy of Night After Night-Extended yesterday. First time hearing this album since it was released in '79 (I heard it at a friend's place). Indeed it's a great performance from the band and it's great to have the whole concert in one place. While I love the new 5.1 remix of the album, I'm not happy there's no 'main menu' page (and no way to go directly to a song as you can with virtually every other Blu-Ray or DVD-A/DVD release).
    Weird - I wonder who authored that disk.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Weird - I wonder who authored that disk.
    There are no credits in the package for who authored the Blu-Ray of Night After Night-Extended (except for the Produced and Mastered by Eddie Jobson credit).
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 04-10-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Just got my copy today and it kicks ass. Bozzio was on fire..
    Yep. I had never heard NAN before today, though I have known both studio albums inside out for almost 40 years. NAN beats 'em both. I now see that the WJB trio was the definitive lineup. Kickass prog rock n roll ready to take on the 1980s. Except that it didn't. Our loss!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yep. I had never heard NAN before today, though I have known both studio albums inside out for almost 40 years. NAN beats 'em both. I now see that the WJB trio was the definitive lineup. Kickass prog rock n roll ready to take on the 1980s. Except that it didn't. Our loss!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Yep. I had never heard NAN before today, though I have known both studio albums inside out for almost 40 years. NAN beats 'em both. I now see that the WJB trio was the definitive lineup.
    As great as Bozzio was, I couldn't disagree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I think Bozzio and Bruford are so different. I actually think the writing on DM by Jobson is a little better and Wetton is awesome. They lost that jazzier edge on U.K. 1st but DM is a superb slight change of direction. Has any drummer played with more sheer commitment than Bozzio on DM?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    I think Bozzio and Bruford are so different. I actually think the writing on DM by Jobson is a little better and Wetton is awesome. They lost that jazzier edge on U.K. 1st but DM is a superb slight change of direction. Has any drummer played with more sheer commitment than Bozzio on DM?
    Indeed. Bozzio's wonderful drumming on DM certainly motivated me to try and be a better drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    To each his own of course, but as much as I love Bruford and Holdsworth's playing in general the first UK never sounded like a band to me. More like a (very good) session. Their live bootleg (Concert Classics) has that feel too. Its good and everything but lacks the focus and intensity of NAN.

While I do love the 2nd & Live albums, they're not even close to the debut.

Night after Night was always my favorite UK album. I just like the trio format better, which brought out Jobson & Wetton more. Love the video clips from OGWT and others from that period.

In my opinion the first UK album is serious prog and what some might call Artsy Fartsy.
    Danger Money is excellent, a bit like Asia with more meat on the bone.
    I love them both, but find myself reaching for the Danger Money record more often than UK.
    Looking forward to picking up this new release of NAN.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    While I do love the 2nd & Live albums, they're not even close to the debut.
    Two different bands really. I always thought UK was better as the trio, while Bill and Allan did the more fusion-y stuff on the Bruford records. Win-Win!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Two different bands really. I always thought UK was better as the trio, while Bill and Allan did the more fusion-y stuff on the Bruford records. Win-Win!
    Correct. Bruford was the proper venue for fusion. The U.K. trio was prog with balls. Danger Money and NAN are freakin' awesome. My favorite Wetton outing next to Red. Huge double-win.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Life In Surround review video:

https://youtu.be/bHs0Xoe_iHk
    Had to look up "Allan Holdsworth".

For those of you that have this and also have a 5.1 setup....what do you think of the sound of that mix on the Blu-ray? I finally got around to listening and I thought it sounded very tinny compared to the CD....anyone else feel this way?
    So much music....so little time....

I received my copy from Amazon on Sunday and we listened to Disc 1.
    It's nice to hear my favorite UK songs performed live but I was exhausted by the end of Disc 1.
    Did they all drink Red Bull before the show, cause those were done super hyper fast, still great but really fast.
    I know Terry is a fast drummer, but day'um, I don't know how he kept up that pace.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I received my copy from Amazon on Sunday and we listened to Disc 1.
    It's nice to hear my favorite UK songs performed live but I was exhausted by the end of Disc 1.
    Did they all drink Red Bull before the show, cause those were done super hyper fast, still great but really fast.
    I know Terry is a fast drummer, but day'um, I don't know how he kept up that pace.
    I saw UK with Eddie, John, and Terry in Montreal about 8 years ago. It was an excellent show but I've never seen a drummer hit the skins so aggressively as that night. My ears were ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I saw UK with Eddie, John, and Terry in Montreal about 8 years ago. It was an excellent show but I've never seen a drummer hit the skins so aggressively as that night. My ears were ringing.
    Was that the reunion tour, and was it the one where Marco Minnemann played later in the tour? Marco is also a madman behind the kit.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Was that the reunion tour, and was it the one where Marco Minnemann played later in the tour? Marco is also a madman behind the kit.
    Yes - that one was the reunion tour.