Thread: The Third Project - When Remembrance Becomes A Thing - new Polish band's debut album

The Third Project - When Remembrance Becomes A Thing - new Polish band's debut album

Greetings,

The Third Project - "When Remembrance Becomes A Thing"

Just last week found on bandcamp this new band from Poland and their debut album (released last year). Initially did not think too much of it because of the price (less than $2) and how many hits/buys it has there, but then the cover and description looked very interesting. Hearing the music I almost fell off my chair, it sounded simply awesome ... that is if you can bear some English deficiencies there, although, the vocal itself is very good and fits the music. But then the music .. simply loved it, one of the best "old school" prog music I have heard in recent years. Especially worth noting are the title track and the 4th track "The Sea of Slaves". Bought it on the spot (felt almost embarrassed paying this little) and made the CD-R of it and it is still spinning. Below is the link to bandcamp so please go and check for yourself and let me know if my sanity (as the music is still spinning in my head) is still in check.

https://the-third-project.bandcamp.com/releases

It seems the band is virtually unknown judging by how many buyers are there. Evidently it is only available in good quality on their bandcamp page. Hopefully they gain enough recognition to release it on CD or the vinyl.

Let me know what you think, Peter
    Last edited by PCMusic; 02-27-2019 at 12:20 AM.

You guys do not reply to it, I will start replying to myself ... consider it a threat

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    You guys do not reply to it, I will start replying to myself ... consider it a threat
    Come on, I was not kidding

I checked them out and I thought they have a very good foundation for being a good group.
    But the recordings on this are very bad, I couldn't even listen to it after a little bit.
    The mid range was very muddy and so were the vocals, had to bail out it was driving me crazy.
    The technology of recording with a digital music workstation has progressed so much, for very few dollars you can get a digital audio interface and even free recording software which will give you crystal clear recording..I see no excuse for the way that was mixed..sorry.
    Back in the day when all we had was a 4 or 8 track cassette or 8 track reel to reel, you could still get better recordings than that.
    I even tried going to YouTube thinking it might be cleaner due to the compression, but not so.

I'm glad you found them for yourself and like their music so much. It's fun when you connect with someone or a bands music. Enjoy and thanks for sharing anyway.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I checked them out and I thought they have a very good foundation for being a good group.
    But the recordings on this are very bad, I couldn't even listen to it after a little bit.
    The mid range was very muddy and so were the vocals, had to bail out it was driving me crazy.
    The technology of recording with a digital music workstation has progressed so much, for very few dollars you can get a digital audio interface and even free recording software which will give you crystal clear recording..I see no excuse for the way that was mixed..sorry.
    Back in the day when all we had was a 4 or 8 track cassette or 8 track reel to reel, you could still get better recordings than that.
    I even tried going to YouTube thinking it might be cleaner due to the compression, but not so.

I'm glad you found them for yourself and like their music so much. It's fun when you connect with someone or a bands music. Enjoy and thanks for sharing anyway.
    Thank you Top Cat for your comments ... and helping my sanity

The sound does not bother me that much as you. I am listening to it from CD-R made from downloaded wave files, so perhaps there is a difference and better sound. But then even off the bandcamp it does not sound that bad to me ... you are scaring me a bit there, am I going deaf or what? ... or maybe, as you wrote, I like it too much? ... and paying way more attention to the music itself than to the technical side of it? On the other hand, the sound off You Tube is way worse than anything else, so perhaps it is not that bad with my hearing after all?

Anyway, joking aside and as far as the recording goes. You are right, it certainly could have been done better. From what I know (contacted the band through bandcamp) this was recorded in the studio with the whole band playing together (live) - as has been done years ago, but to what even Rolling Stones went back for on their last studio album. Therefore, some misses and imperfections are understandable, including vocals, with limited room for corrections. Perhaps they should have mentioned this in the description there. Perhaps the mix is the most to blame here. On few occasions there seem to be sounds in the background that probably were not meant to be there. English vocal could use some improvement as well. But then the optimist in me says "no worries", they will have an opportunity to come up some day with a "remastered version" ... and yes, with bonus tracks on Esoteric Recordings label

Thank you Top Cat for your comments ... and helping my sanity

The sound does not bother me that much as you. I am listening to it from CD-R made from downloaded wave files, so perhaps there is a difference and better sound. But then even off the bandcamp it does not sound that bad to me ... you are scaring me a bit there, am I going deaf or what? ... or maybe, as you wrote, I like it too much? ... and paying way more attention to the music itself than to the technical side of it? On the other hand, the sound off You Tube is way worse than anything else, so perhaps it is not that bad with my hearing after all?

Anyway, joking aside and as far as the recording goes. You are right, it certainly could have been done better. From what I know (contacted the band through bandcamp) this was recorded in the studio with the whole band playing together (live) - as has been done years ago, but to what even Rolling Stones went back for on their last studio album. Therefore, some misses and imperfections are understandable, including vocals, with limited room for corrections. Perhaps they should have mentioned this in the description there. Perhaps the mix is the most to blame here. On few occasions there seem to be sounds in the background that probably were not meant to be there. English vocal could use some improvement as well. But then the optimist in me says "no worries", they will have an opportunity to come up some day with a "remastered version" ... and yes, with bonus tracks on Esoteric Recordings label
    Hi PCM, I listened to the music using my studio headphones, Sony MDR 7605 and they are my go to reference, not only for my own mixes but other music as well.
    My first listen was on Bandcamp and I listened partially to a couple of songs which I believe were in WAV format, not certain what Bandcamp uses for streaming those tho. I only assume it's in WAV.
    I applaud the band for recording live in the studio, I think it usually gives a different vibe to a band's music, and can often capture magic which is lost with repeated studio tracking and copy/pasting the best takes.
    It's funny, I never had any problem with the singing in English.
    As I said, I think the band has great potential and can only hope, positive criticism regarding the mix and mastering can elevate them to the next level.

In the meantime, enjoy.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Hi PCM, I listened to the music using my studio headphones, Sony MDR 7605 and they are my go to reference, not only for my own mixes but other music as well.
    My first listen was on Bandcamp and I listened partially to a couple of songs which I believe were in WAV format, not certain what Bandcamp uses for streaming those tho. I only assume it's in WAV.
    I applaud the band for recording live in the studio, I think it usually gives a different vibe to a band's music, and can often capture magic which is lost with repeated studio tracking and copy/pasting the best takes.
    It's funny, I never had any problem with the singing in English.
    As I said, I think the band has great potential and can only hope, positive criticism regarding the mix and mastering can elevate them to the next level.

In the meantime, enjoy.
    Hi TC, Thanks again for your critical but also positive comments. Lets hope somehow these will trickle down to the band. Should I help, do you mind?

Hi TC, Thanks again for your critical but also positive comments. Lets hope somehow these will trickle down to the band. Should I help, do you mind?
    No, I wouldn't mind at all, thanks for asking.
    Although I am just one person and it's solely my personal opinion.

No, I wouldn't mind at all, thanks for asking.
    Although I am just one person and it's solely my personal opinion.
    Thanks TC, hopefully there will be more opinions

Hi PCMusic

Sincere question: are you directly associated with the band in any way?

I ask because usually this sub-forum is for promotion stuff (i.e. bands/labels promoting themselves). As such, frankly this subforum ("What's On, What's New") gets less audience. If you aren't associated with the band closely, I'd suggest starting a thread on the main forum.

This particular flavor of progressive rock doesn't connect with me as strongly as it once did, but I certain there are many folks here who WOULD likely enjoy this. Musical tastes aside, from a purely technical perspective they clearly know their stuff and the songs convey a real sense of energy + enthusiasm.

Good luck!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Hi PCMusic

I ask because usually this sub-forum is for promotion stuff (i.e. bands/labels promoting themselves). As such, frankly this subforum ("What's On, What's New") gets less audience. If you aren't associated with the band closely, I'd suggest starting a thread on the main forum.

This particular flavor of progressive rock doesn't connect with me as strongly as it once did, but I certain there are many folks here who WOULD likely enjoy this. Musical tastes aside, from a purely technical perspective they clearly know their stuff and the songs convey a real sense of energy + enthusiasm.

Good luck!
    John, I've listened to your music and the recordings sound great, even the 90's pieces.
    Would you mind making a comment regarding the mix? maybe it's just me and I'd hate to offer my opinion and have others think it sounds good mix wise.

Hi PCMusic

Good luck!
    Hi battema,

Thank you for the suggestion and good wishes. I am new to the group and still learning the ropes here. No, I am not connected to the band in any way other than being the fan of their music. As such I have contacted the band by e-mail (through their bandcamp link) and try others to learn about them. I think they deserve a wider recognition, which hopefully would result in the release of their album on some physical media (CD or vinyl) ... and hopefully (again) of albums that will follow ... would love to see (hear) which way they go next.

John, I've listened to your music and the recordings sound great, even the 90's pieces.
    Would you mind making a comment regarding the mix? maybe it's just me and I'd hate to offer my opinion and have others think it sounds good mix wise.
    Sure!

I listened initially to the Bandcamp page via the hands-down WORST possible option; single-side headset at work so no stereo. It was basically like a Radio Shack hobby speaker quality. On that terrible setup, it honestly sounded fine. I could hear everything, leads and vocals stood out above the backing rhythm mix.

I'm listening again on Bandcamp via my home laptop with a nicer set of headphones. I still am not hearing much muddiness; in fairness, I *do* hear some (IMHO excessive) compression specifically on the drums that sometimes makes the mix throb a bit here and there. I also hear mixing choices that I *personally* wouldn't make in terms of relative volume levels. But...I have to be honest, I don't hear anything glaring or unlistenable. I've certainly heard recordings from larger, more well-known bands that sound worse than this. With regard to the vocals specificially...I think they are recorded rather well.

So yeah, sonicially I don't hear anything that bothers me. And I still think quite a few folks here would really love this if it was shared on the main page

Hope this helps!
    JB
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

thank you John.. I appreciate your taking time to listen again and share your opinion on the mix.
    He did share it on the main page several days ago(New Releases at top of the page) and several other members thought the mix sounded poorly.
    I guess it just proves we all hear things differently. I revisited it yesterday and still had the same feeling.

My only concern was I didn't want my opinion being the only one, the more viewpoints expressed helps one get an average consensus from listeners regarding the sound.

Sure, I understand. I didn't think you were harsh at all.

I am fairly forgiving when it comes to underground bands Probably because I know how hard it can be to capture a song on a moderate budget. And I have certainly heard far worse recordings from far bigger bands

It's all good :-)

Sure!

I listened initially to the Bandcamp page via the hands-down WORST possible option; single-side headset at work so no stereo. It was basically like a Radio Shack hobby speaker quality. On that terrible setup, it honestly sounded fine. I could hear everything, leads and vocals stood out above the backing rhythm mix.

I'm listening again on Bandcamp via my home laptop with a nicer set of headphones. I still am not hearing much muddiness; in fairness, I *do* hear some (IMHO excessive) compression specifically on the drums that sometimes makes the mix throb a bit here and there. I also hear mixing choices that I *personally* wouldn't make in terms of relative volume levels. But...I have to be honest, I don't hear anything glaring or unlistenable. I've certainly heard recordings from larger, more well-known bands that sound worse than this. With regard to the vocals specifically...I think they are recorded rather well.

So yeah, sonicially I don't hear anything that bothers me. And I still think quite a few folks here would really love this if it was shared on the main page

Hope this helps!
    JB
    Hi JB, (or can I use John?)

It seems I am a bit late on this particular discussion, but hope you do not mind I throw in my three cents here as well. First of all thank you for taking the time and listening to the album again. It is gratifying that a musician, that obviously you are, expresses his opinion in such a weighed measure. Perhaps it takes one to appreciate one. All too often it is quite the other way. Thank you for all of your comments, they are pretty much in line how I have approached this album - not minding some imperfections in the recording itself but listening to the music ... and obviously being blown away by it ... even more so it was by some totally unknown band I never heard of. You already have mentioned that this is music you enjoyed in the past, I have already written somewhere that sounding "retro" they actually sound pretty fresh to me. Anyway thank again for the comments, do not think I could pick up details of the recording / mixing like you have done it

Btw, with regard to this topic, do you suggest to start a new thread on the main board with the band and album as a topic? I have put the input there in the sub thread "new releases", but is seems to get lost - if I remember correctly page 106 of this thread. If you do not keep it alive by responses (and I have been trying) it fades away pretty quickly.

Lastly, if do not mind, is there a website one can listen to your music?

Thanks, Peter

thank you John.. I appreciate your taking time to listen again and share your opinion on the mix.
    He did share it on the main page several days ago(New Releases at top of the page) and several other members thought the mix sounded poorly.
    I guess it just proves we all hear things differently. I revisited it yesterday and still had the same feeling.

My only concern was I didn't want my opinion being the only one, the more viewpoints expressed helps one get an average consensus from listeners regarding the sound.
    Hi TC,

Thank you for widening this discussion and looking for more opinions, especially in view of some nasty comments about quality of recording at the other subforum. I do not really mind them, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but did not feel they were justified. JB's comments are in line how I see it and it is gratifying to me that this is obviously opinion of a musician, or at least someone familiar with the recording/mixing process. Yours was not too favorable either, but I certainly appreciate your open mindedness about it and seeing the potential in the music itself

Btw, as I have noticed already here, the topic stays on top only if there are responses to it. If there is a thread it seems to have a more pronounced exposure. Do you think putting a new thread with this band and album would be a better way of exposing it to more people, is it viable/doable ... or would it be already too much? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, PC

Hi JB, (or can I use John?)

It seems I am a bit late on this particular discussion, but hope you do not mind I throw in my three cents here as well. First of all thank you for taking the time and listening to the album again. It is gratifying that a musician, that obviously you are, expresses his opinion in such a weighed measure. Perhaps it takes one to appreciate one. All too often it is quite the other way. Thank you for all of your comments, they are pretty much in line how I have approached this album - not minding some imperfections in the recording itself but listening to the music ... and obviously being blown away by it ... even more so it was by some totally unknown band I never heard of. You already have mentioned that this is music you enjoyed in the past, I have already written somewhere that sounding "retro" they actually sound pretty fresh to me. Anyway thank again for the comments, do not think I could pick up details of the recording / mixing like you have done it

Btw, with regard to this topic, do you suggest to start a new thread on the main board with the band and album as a topic? I have put the input there in the sub thread "new releases", but is seems to get lost - if I remember correctly page 106 of this thread. If you do not keep it alive by responses (and I have been trying) it fades away pretty quickly.

Lastly, if do not mind, is there a website one can listen to your music?

Thanks, Peter
    Hi Peter

I'd suggest starting a thread specifically about the album. Just fair warning: while I am a fan of Progressive Ears, not everyone here is as interested in exploring new bands, as opposed to having extended discussions about Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd or whomever. So, don't be too distressed if you create the thread but you don't get a ton of replies. I've been here for 10+ years, and have created a fair number of new band threads, only to see them die out after just 5-10 replies. It's just life, unfortunately.

Oh, my band? Sure, here you go:

https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com/

We're most proud of our latest album (that's the one that comes up first), but in terms of "classic" prog fans, folks seemed to enjoy the previous album Harvest Aorta a bit more, especially the long title track.

Just for saying...Top Cat's good people. I'm glad you took his input for what it was: constructive.

We all can't always agree on things but it's a big plus when people can be courteous and respectful even when offering different opinions

Hi Peter

I'd suggest starting a thread specifically about the album. Just fair warning: while I am a fan of Progressive Ears, not everyone here is as interested in exploring new bands, as opposed to having extended discussions about Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd or whomever. So, don't be too distressed if you create the thread but you don't get a ton of replies. I've been here for 10+ years, and have created a fair number of new band threads, only to see them die out after just 5-10 replies. It's just life, unfortunately.

Oh, my band? Sure, here you go:

https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com/

We're most proud of our latest album (that's the one that comes up first), but in terms of "classic" prog fans, folks seemed to enjoy the previous album Harvest Aorta a bit more, especially the long title track.
    Hi John,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly give it a try

Ephemeral Sun rings a bell ... I may be mistaken but were you not offering a sampler CD (3 tracks or so) of your music at one of the NEARFests? I think I even bought a CD, guess it would have to be "Broken Door"? If so I still should have these, except can't verify it as, since the move to a new place, all of the pre-move CDs are still in boxes. I blame it on too much of good, new music so there is no time to get to them

I am not too fond of purely instrumental albums but from excerpts heard I think these two (Lord of Hounds and Harvest Aorta) are worth a closer listening. So thanks for the bandcamp link, although, will have to find physical copies (CDs) of these if I decide to go for them. Certainly sound good recording/mixing wise

Just for saying...Top Cat's good people. I'm glad you took his input for what it was: constructive.

We all can't always agree on things but it's a big plus when people can be courteous and respectful even when offering different opinions

Certainly hope my comment was perceived this way and could not agree more with being courteous and respectful

It is so hilarious, just noticed your signature (footnote) "gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement" ... are you in the same predicament? - per my comment on unopened pre-move boxes from the previous message

Hi John,

Thank you for the suggestions, I will certainly give it a try

Ephemeral Sun rings a bell ... I may be mistaken but were you not offering a sampler CD (3 tracks or so) of your music at one of the NEARFests? I think I even bought a CD, guess it would have to be "Broken Door"? If so I still should have these, except can't verify it as, since the move to a new place, all of the pre-move CDs are still in boxes. I blame it on too much of good, new music so there is no time to get to them

I am not too fond of purely instrumental albums but from excerpts heard I think these two (Lord of Hounds and Harvest Aorta) are worth a closer listening. So thanks for the bandcamp link, although, will have to find physical copies (CDs) of these if I decide to go for them. Certainly sound good recording/mixing wise
    That was probably us @ NF, yeah. I was a regular at the first 10 or so festivals 'Broken Door' is fairly different, with the vocals and more of a metal angle. The other albums are a bit closer to "prog" in style but yes, also completely instrumental. So, feel free to approach with caution...I'm not going to be offended if they aren't your thing

Ha ha ha ha...yes, I have lots of leftover boxes from the last album (Broken Door and Harvest Aorta are both close to sold out although physical copies are still available online). I'm grateful for those folks who still insist on a physical package but the overwhelming majority of listeners now prefer digital

That was probably us @ NF, yeah. I was a regular at the first 10 or so festivals 'Broken Door' is fairly different, with the vocals and more of a metal angle. The other albums are a bit closer to "prog" in style but yes, also completely instrumental. So, feel free to approach with caution...I'm not going to be offended if they aren't your thing

Ha ha ha ha...yes, I have lots of leftover boxes from the last album (Broken Door and Harvest Aorta are both close to sold out although physical copies are still available online). I'm grateful for those folks who still insist on a physical package but the overwhelming majority of listeners now prefer digital

How small is the world, especially in these circles

Please let me know if I can get the CDs of your last two albums from you. Hopefully you could cut "the middle man" cost and as a combo it should be cheaper for shipping. Have not used the inbox here but will try to send you there a message with my e-mail address. Checked your music shop but it only offers bandcamp and digital copies.

PC
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

How small is the world, especially in these circles

Please let me know if I can get the CDs of your last two albums from you. Hopefully you could cut "the middle man" cost and as a combo it should be cheaper for shipping. Have not used the inbox here but will try to send you there a message with my e-mail address. Checked your music shop but it only offers bandcamp and digital copies.

PC
    Yeah I'd be interested to0 John. I re-listened to parts of Lord of Hounds today and really like it. Although like PCM has written I normally don't listen to all instrumentals, but this one has enough power, energy and great movements I could deal with it. Plus I could make believe and make up some of my own lyrics.
    I have a PayPal account(of course, what musician doesn't? ) lol

Greetings,

The Third Project - "When Remembrance Becomes A Thing"

Just last week found on bandcamp this new band from Poland and their debut album (released last year). Initially did not think too much of it because of the price (less than $2) and how many hits/buys it has there, but then the cover and description looked very interesting. Hearing the music I almost fell off my chair, it sounded simply awesome ... that is if you can bear some English deficiencies there, although, the vocal itself is very good and fits the music. But then the music .. simply loved it, one of the best "old school" prog music I have heard in recent years. Especially worth noting are the title track and the 4th track "The Sea of Slaves". Bought it on the spot (felt almost embarrassed paying this little) and made the CD-R of it and it is still spinning. Below is the link to bandcamp so please go and check for yourself and let me know if my sanity (as the music is still spinning in my head) is still in check.

https://the-third-project.bandcamp.com/releases

It seems the band is virtually unknown judging by how many buyers are there. Evidently it is only available in good quality on their bandcamp page. Hopefully they gain enough recognition to release it on CD or the vinyl.

Let me know what you think, Peter
    For the ones interested in the band, there are 5 tracks posted on You Tube and they include lyrics to the posted songs - just click "show more" under played track. Link is below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUX...WgvlAYnJ2TtNFg
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"