Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK. Um...........Loverboy

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Andy Summers was something like 40 when the first Police album came out. I remember reading that in the liner notes of the Message In A Bottle box (which I only got like last year, I think) and being taken aback by that fact,, but once I thought about it, it made sense, given the career he had in the 60's, there's no way he could have been 20 years old or whatever "rock stars" are supposed to be. I guess it just surprised because he certainly didn't look like he was in his mid 40's at the time.
    more like 35, but indeed around 10 years older than Stu and Sting... and therefore suspect to the whole punk crowd (just like some Stranglers were also above 30 at their "punk peak", and therefore not accepted by the intelligentsia

The man (Summers) was from the previous musical decade and started under George Bruno's (AKA Zoot Money) wing with Dantalion's Chariot, then he got that gig with Soft Machine, but once fired , he was stuck in the US, but Zoot came though and got him hired in Burdon's New Animals, before that gig stopped as well.... He got married and studied in California, but upon returning in the UK (still broke) it's kind of funny that his first gig was with the man that got him fired from the Softs (if Wyatt fired him, it was because Ayers threatened to leave if they didn't... and 4 months later, Kevin was gone, anyways)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    more like 35, but indeed around 10 years older than Stu and Sting... and therefore suspect to the whole punk crowd (just like some Stranglers were also above 30 at their "punk peak", and therefore not accepted by the intelligentsia
    I Love Stewart Copeland's comment in his Everybody Stares documentary, about how the band was viewed with suspicion by the punk rock types, saying something like, "After all, I had been in one of those disreputable prog rock bands!".

And you're right about Andy's age, he was born in December 1942. I was never very good with math. I can just imagine Miles tell him, in an early band meeting, "Whatever you do, don't tell anyone your actual age! We'll be sunk if anyone knows you're over 30!".

It's really kinda funny to think about that stuff, that there was a time when people really thought that was significant. You'd hear stories of teen idols moving their birth dates back a couple years for publicity purposes, and I know Bob Ezrin has said one of the things he did with The Wall was edit out references to dates that would give away Roger Waters' age, because "fans don't want to know how old their idols are".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    He's 73, according to Wikipedia.

Andy Summers was something like 40 when the first Police album came out. I remember reading that in the liner notes of the Message In A Bottle box (which I only got like last year, I think) and being taken aback by that fact,, but once I thought about it, it made sense, given the career he had in the 60's, there's no way he could have been 20 years old or whatever "rock stars" are supposed to be. I guess it just surprised because he certainly didn't look like he was in his mid 40's at the time.
    Summers has never "looked his age" (neither has Stew), and I do remember he was a bit older than your average rocker, considering he'd jammed with Hendrix...

Paul Dean has been around a long time. Look jow old most of us are now. No one ages in old videos. ;-)

I have a customer whose first band in highschool in Central or South America included Miles Copeland, and that guy is no spring chicken.

I saw Andy's Jazz trio in a very small club. I loved his chords in The Police. He was late for warm-ups. I don't know if his plane was late or he missed his flight, but he lost his hotel room in the process; long day. Drummer had the flu bad but he was freaking awesome come showtime.
    I went to to take a leak before the show started and there was Andy at the other urinal. I thought to myself when am I ever going to get a chance to say something to Andy Summers? I try to be a bit of a jokester/jerk at times, so I couldn't help myself. I turn my head and say to him, "I'm excited to be here." He turns his head, looks at me and shook his head. Still makes me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Paul Dean has been around a long time. Look jow old most of us are now. No one ages in old videos. ;-)

I have a customer whose first band in highschool in Central or South America included Miles Copeland, and that guy is no spring chicken.

I saw Andy's Jazz trio in a very small club. I loved his chords in The Police. He was late for warm-ups. I don't know if his plane was late or he missed his flight, but he lost his hotel room in the process; long day. Drummer had the flu bad but he was freaking awesome come showtime.
    I went to to take a leak before the show started and there was Andy at the other urinal. I thought to myself when am I ever going to get a chance to say something to Andy Summers? I try to be a bit of a jokester/jerk at times, so I couldn't help myself. I turn my head and say to him, "I'm excited to be here." He turns his head, looks at me and shook his head. Still makes me chuckle.

Hilarious story.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Blubberboy
    I remember tomorrow