Thread: From Quebec, Canada ~ Maneige

From Quebec, Canada ~ Maneige

Good Morning

Found this while over at YouTube: Maneige - Jardins Des Étoiles (1976)

Thanks to my Canadian music friends for turning me on to them... some years ago. The band isn't talked about too much here.... perhaps time for a 2019 conversation!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

This is main board discussion Chris, if there is any, so I suggest you move this to the main board, if it's not too inconvenient.

Unless you don't deem Maneige worthy to be discussed next to Prog Masterpieces like Trevor Horn's Re-imagines the 80's, in which case correctly you placed this in the off-topic area...

I love Maneige! Brilliant stuff... I have all of their albums including the live ones, with the exception of Composite and Montréal, 6 AM as they have yet to be issued on CD.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

Like 'thustra said, Maneige are main forum material and they used to be discussed in here at a time when the average contributor somehow seemed to know a tiny bit more about the medium of focus (i.e "prog") than what appears to be the case nowadays. Or perhaps it was simply a case of those "in the know" becoming weary over time.

Mucho info hero:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ght=progquebec

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...ghlight=Quebec

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I haven't heard Maneige, but I have the two Sloche albums and Maelstrom - s/t.

Edit: just ordered the first 4 Maneige albums....
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 02-18-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

Very, very good Idea!!!

A radical and clever solution to the problem

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Well obviously something needed to be done.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Good move, you won’t regret it. Especially considering Sentence #1 of your post.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Love Maneige. I have their four studio albums. Haven't spun them in a while, this will be good motivation to do so!

Bill

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    After seeing Jerome Langlois open for Steve Hackett in Montreal a few years back, rushed out the now-defunct HMV on St. Catherine and grabbed the first Maneige LP,a beautiful work.

Well obviously something needed to be done.
    When I reach the same conclusion about my life, I always end up buying records :-)

As for Maneige's best I have to go with Ni Vent...it hits all my prog neurons simultaneously. Magnificent!

But my 4 years old daughter prefers Les Porches. The reaction to Ni Vent...is "where's the flutes?"

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    After seeing Jerome Langlois open for Steve Hackett in Montreal a few years back, rushed out the now-defunct HMV on St. Catherine and grabbed the first Maneige LP,a beautiful work.
    You should also give Jerome Langlois' solo Albums a try, really awesome stuff.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Their first two are stone cold classics. I have a slight penchant for Les Porches, but both are magnificent.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Maneige is one of many really fine artists from Quebec in the 70s that I for one had no clue of until the last decade. The album by Et Cetera is another personal favorite. There was a real Renaissance there in the mid-70s.

Maneige is one of those groups that I only own two of their albums but like well enough I need to acquire the rest. I just haven't done so. This thread will aid in putting that right.