Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FANNY! How did I miss these gals?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    And not at all too hard on the eyes, either.
    I gather they faced considerable racism because of being Filipino.

Both Millington's are active in the music industry today. The full history of hte band is interesting, and at one time Patti Quatro was a member. They did well and were cited by Bowie as a band that people needed to hear.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I gather they faced considerable racism because of being Filipino.
    I believe it, and as I suggested earlier, that probably worked against them as musicians. The record business was, and maybe still is hung up on a person's ethnicity, in relation to the kind of music they played. WHen Charlie Pride's first record came out, RCA didn't put him on the cover of the record, and they didn't tell anyone he was black. Similarly, when KC And The Sunshine Band first record came out, the record company didn't put his face on the cover, either, and didn't tell anyone he was white. Same thing with Tina Marie. And there's surely other examples of that kind of thing.

One could argue that Thin Lizzy couldn't catch a break Stateside, because Phil Lynott was black (never mind the specifics of his ethnicity, most people looked at the guy and that's what they saw). Bands like Funkadelic and The Isley Brothers were as much "rock groups" as they were "R&B groups", with heavy guitar riffing and soloing, but they weren't marketed to "the white audience".

And music magazines didn't put black musicians on their covers as often as they did with white musicians. I'm not just talking about Rolling Stone or Melody Maker or those kind of things, but also magazines like Guitar Player. I think I made thi spoint in an earlier point post, so I apologize for reiterating this point, but Guitar Player never put Ernie Isley, Michael Hampton, Blackbyrd McKnight, Eddie Hazel, Sonny Sharrock, Tony MacAlpine, or any number of other guitarists who weren't white on their covers. The only black musicians I can remember being on the cover of GP during the 70's or 80's were Jimi Hendrix and jazz guys. Oh yeah, and Bootsy Collins, they put Bootsy on the cover just once, I think.

Even when GP did a couple big features on Funkadelic in the 90's, they still didn't get to be on the cover (one of them, it was, Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee on the cover, and the other it was John McLaughlin making his at least third appearance on the GP cover).

And on the point of "women musicians", Tommy Tedesco and Hal Blaine, I think it was, once joked with Carol Kaye that, using the standards of today, she could have sued everyone she had to deal with in the LA studios back in the 60's, and retire off the settlements. So women were definitely treated badly just because they were women, even when they were just "anonymous studio musicians".

Even in the 80's, there were stories about bands like The Go-Go's and Vixen being accused of having men hidden behind the curtains when they played live, "covering" for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I likes me a bit of Fanny now and again
    After a Todd Rundgren gig about 15 years ago I heard Todd say "Everyone loves Fanny!" when someone gave him their Mothers Pride LP to sign! (Todd produced the album.)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I likes me a bit of Fanny now and again
    So did they, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    So did they, apparently.

To set the record straight, June was the only lesbian in the band. Jean was involved with guitarist Earl Slick for a time.

I understand Carol MacDonald used to tell prospective members of the aforementioned Isis that they were going to be assumed to be lesbians just for being in the band. I believe Carol was the first out lesbian in rock.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Both Millington's are active in the music industry today. The full history of hte band is interesting, and at one time Patti Quatro was a member. They did well and were cited by Bowie as a band that people needed to hear.
    June lives out here and does this wonderful thing:

https://www.mightycause.com/organiza...e-Musical-Arts

[QUOTE=Progbear;882134]
    To set the record straight, June was the only lesbian in the band.
    I don't know why I'm surprised to hear that, because I know she released a couple solo records on Olivia Records, and I seem to recall most of their roster were lesbians. Not that it matters.

Wikipedia says that Brie Brandt and Patti Quatro sang uncredited backup vocals on ELO's A New World Record album.

BTW, didn't Patti and Suzi Quatro have a brother named Michael? I seem to recall I used to have a mix tape my old penpal gave me that had his version of In The Court Of The Crimson King, with Ted Nugent, of all people, playing guitar.

Yes, June manages A MightY Cause and has for years. She did work for years with Olivia Records as well, with many of their out artists. She has won awards for audio engineering. Brie Brandt married James Newton Howard, the film composer. Mike Quatro is indeed Patti and Suzy's brother and actually had a short career playing prog way back in the early 70s.

Last edited by Dana5140; 02-19-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I understand Carol MacDonald used to tell prospective members of the aforementioned Isis that they were going to be assumed to be lesbians just for being in the band. I believe Carol was the first out lesbian in rock.
    I think I heard that Ginger Bianco - Isis's drummer - was too, and she and Carol were a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    June lives out here and does this wonderful thing:
    https://www.mightycause.com/organiza...e-Musical-Arts

Wow, is that June on the left? Man, she's gone white-haired!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Wow, is that June on the left? Man, she's gone white-haired!
    She's 70 years old! What do you expect her to look like?

Personally, I think she looks great and it's fantastic to see her rocking out! More power to her!

Bill

I think I heard that Ginger Bianco - Isis's drummer - was too, and she and Carol were a couple.
    I think the others were a couple of the horn players: Jeanie Fineberg and Ellen Seeling (another couple) in addition to the conga player Liberty Mata, who was involved with the aforementioned Laura Nyro.

Wikipedia says Ginger was given some kind of...wait a minute, let me look this up so I get it right...ok, so, 2017, "Ginger Bianco was given the Women Breaking Barriers Award by the GLBT Historical Society, partly for her work in Isis"

That would, presumably indicate the affirmative on that front.

For some reason, this all reminds me of April Lawton, the guitarist from the band Ramatam, who was rumored to be transgender. At least two different people have claimed she was born a man, but Mike Pinera, who was also in Ramatam, claims he asked her once about the rumors, and she took his hand and gave him a "guided tour". (shrug)

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    For some reason, this all reminds me of April Lawton, the guitarist from the band Ramatam, who was rumored to be transgender. At least two different people have claimed she was born a man, but Mike Pinera, who was also in Ramatam, claims he asked her once about the rumors, and she took his hand and gave him a "guided tour". (shrug)
    I think the rumours started because some guys back then just refused to believe somebody with lady parts could play like that.

Spank that fanny!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I think the rumours started because some guys back then just refused to believe somebody with lady parts could play like that.
    According to June Millington, April was transgender, Wikipedia quotes her as saying so in a 2010 interview.

As for the rest of Fanny, I know Jean Millington was involved with guitarist Earl Slick for a time, and Brie Howard used to be married to session keyboardist extraordinaire (and later, soundtracks composer) James Newton Howard. She was the drummer on his first solo album (1974), which is actually a pretty cool, progressive solo keyboard extravaganza more people here should know about.

As for the rest of Fanny, I know Jean Millington was involved with guitarist Earl Slick for a time, and Brie Howard used to be married to session keyboardist extraordinaire (and later, soundtracks composer) James Newton Howard. She was the drummer on his first solo album (1974), which is actually a pretty cool, progressive solo keyboard extravaganza more people here should know about.
    Thanks to you, I do!

According to June Millington, April was transgender, Wikipedia quotes her as saying so in a 2010 interview.
    Looks like Dee Snider heard/knew something about it, since he mentions it in passing in his autobio. On the very same page, he writes about telling Lita Ford her talent can do all the talking, i.e. don't let the industry force her to use sex to promote herself. She left brimming with enthusiasm. Later, he sees her new video — for, I can only assume, "Kiss Me Deadly" — "Lita's scantily clad, crawling on all fours, humping a block of ice. So much for my advice."

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    On the very same page, he writes about telling Lita Ford her talent can do all the talking, i.e. don't let the industry force her to use sex to promote herself. She left brimming with enthusiasm. Later, he sees her new video — for, I can only assume, "Kiss Me Deadly" — "Lita's scantily clad, crawling on all fours, humping a block of ice. So much for my advice."
    "Have plenty of space and subtlety in your album covers. AND NO SHEEP."

Make fun of Lita Ford if you want, but with the Runaways, and on her first couple solo albums (the two on Mercury), she was awesome. She was totally hot in the Gotta Let Go video, too:

She kinda wimped out on her late 80's albums, but Out For Blood and Dancing On The Edge were both happening records.

She kinda wimped out on her late 80's albums, but Out For Blood and Dancing On The Edge were both happening records.
    I own both and I like 'em. We're not making fun of her so much as making fun of Dee's pov on what happened. And come on: It's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I own both and I like 'em. We're not making fun of her so much as making fun of Dee's pov on what happened. And come on: It's funny.
    Yeah, it is funny. I know he told that story on VH-1 once, they did some thing about the history of metal or whatever, and he's talkign about how he told Lita that she didn't need to be provocative, that the music was good enough she didn't have to be "sexy". "Then, the next thing I know, I see her on MTV humping a block of ice!"

Back in the AOL days, I used to chat with a guy who as a horror movie buff. He knew all these people connected with the industry, had hung out with Forrest Ackerman, he knew Angus Scrimm (the tall man from Phantasm), etc. So, when Dee's horror movie (I think it was called Strange Land) came on cable TV, I asked this guy what he thought about it. He said he ended up sitting next to Dee at a screening at a horror movie convention, so he had to "pretend I liked it so that Dee wouldn't beat me up".