Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix CD stores

Jon Neudorf

Phoenix CD stores

Heading out to Phoenix, more specifically Mesa, next Tuesday. Hit below -40 with wind chills below -50 Celsius a few days ago (think Saskatoon was the coldest place on Earth that day) so am looking forward to some warmer temps. Hoping to take a day browsing some shops. Have been there a few times and have explored a few stores ie Zia Record Exchange which was pretty decent. Any hidden gems I might have missed?

Thanks!

Jon

PS I don't buy vinyl anymore.

Zia is pretty much it for CDs...every other store specializes in vinyl, with CDs being an afterthought. Not sure how long ago you were here, but there's a new Zia at Southern and Gilbert in Mesa.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks for the info. The last time I was there was around three years ago and there was some talk about Zia opening a store in Mesa. Will be hitting
    hitting that one for sure. Will likely try a few other Zias, maybe Bookkmans if that's still around.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Thanks for the info. The last time I was there was around three years ago and there was some talk about Zia opening a store in Mesa. Will be hitting
    hitting that one for sure. Will likely try a few other Zias, maybe Bookkmans if that's still around.

Jon
    What Bookmans is now selection wise is what K-Mart once was compared to a real record store. If your time is limited, save Bookmans for last.

Half Price Books handles CDs and vinyl.

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks Hippypants. Will likely go to the Mesa store for sure.

Jon

To tie in with another thread......Phoenix is where PROG folks might go to die! Maybe the collections of Boomer's will congregate there in the next decade....and that would tie in with the thread "Prog 2029"...... ahhh, the missing pieces are coming together!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    To tie in with another thread......Phoenix is where PROG folks might go to die! Maybe the collections of Boomer's will congregate there in the next decade....and that would tie in with the thread "Prog 2029"...... ahhh, the missing pieces are coming together!
    Hey I resemble that remark . This is true. Sometimes while browsing Zia you will find there is a bit more prog than you remember all in a similar vein. That's exactly what I thought. Clearing out Dad's old CDs. That or a vindictive ex!

Also slightly off the thread topic, don't be disappointed that temps aren't quite so warm. We're having the first winter in the last 5 years...at least to the extent at which we have winter. During the past 4 years, autumn gave winter a miss and went straight into spring.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-15-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Jon Neudorf
    Yeah, was looking at the forecast. Hoping it warms a bit more but it will certainly be much better than the 'great white north'. Can't do anything about the weather. All i know its getting weirder and weirder. Climate change anyone?

Even our "bone chilling" 55 degrees will feel downright balmy compared to Saskatchewan.

Jon Neudorf
    Yep. I don't have to bring any clothes. Second thought, maybe I should.

Jon

Jon Neudorf
    What about Stinkweeds and In Groove? Looking at photos they do at least carry a few CDs. Worth checking out?

Jon

What about Stinkweeds and In Groove? Looking at photos they do at least carry a few CDs. Worth checking out?

Jon
    They're mainly vinyl...2 of those stores for whom CDs are an afterthought.

One store, or rather a chain of 2 stores I just remembered: The House of Used. One location is at Lindsay and University next to Safeway. The other at Brown and Mesa Drive next to Bashas...both in Mesa. They have a fairly good selection of CDs.

Jon Neudorf
    Ok. Awesome. Thanks!

Jon

Just one caveat: don't look for an actual sign reading "House of Used." Their signage on both stores will read "Movies-Games-Music."

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Just one caveat: don't look for an actual sign reading "House of Used." Their signage on both stores will read "Movies-Games-Music."
    That's very helpful, thanks again.

Jon

Jon Neudorf
    Arrived in Mesa yesterday. Beautiful! This is our fourth time to the desert and my wife and i love it here. There are some similarities to the prairies of Saskatchewan. Not so much in geography but in the vast openess of the place. I dont know but something just clicks with me here. Hopefully we will be able to spend some winters here when retirement comes.

Jon
    Last edited by jlneudorf; 02-20-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Enjoy your stay! It was cold here last night.

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks Gruno. I will!

Jon

Revolver Records
    918 N 2nd St, Phoenix, AZ 85004
    602-795-4980

Mojave - http://www.mojavecoffeeaz.com/
    4747 E Thomas Rd Suite A, Phoenix, AZ 85018
    480-794-0341

The 'In' Groove https://theingroove.com/
    3420 E Thomas Rd
    602-957-2453

Check out those. I have not been in any, but In Groove seems like it could be a good one.

Good luck!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Glad your enjoying it!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Arrived in Mesa yesterday. Beautiful! This is our fourth time to the desert and my wife and i love it here. There are some similarities to the prairies of Saskatchewan. Not so much in geography but in the vast openess of the place. I dont know but something just clicks with me here. Hopefully we will be able to spend some winters here when retirement comes.

Jon
    I have a friend from Edmondton who bought a place in Yuma for a winter home. He sits with his wife and a calendar trying to figure out which 180 days / year they can spend in the USA as Canadian citizens...... bummer when you own Both homes but can't stay as you like.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Zia is my go-to. There's a couple of them if I recall. The Tempe one, which relocated a few years ago, is the one I had the best luck with.