Thread: Bowie - Loving the Alien box set

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Bowie - Loving the Alien box set

Anyone got this box and have feedback? I just ordered a copy from Amazon. I know it's not all gold, but there's some gold, and some nostalgia. And some songs I like that maybe a lot don't. Like "Tumble and Twirl" off of Tonight, "Zeros" off of Never Let Me Down. And of course some well known stuff. Just had to complete the set. The included books have been great!

I've been thinking about getting those Bowie boxes. I only have a few of his albums. Actually, just a couple, Heroes and Lodger. Always reckoned I'd probably like a lot of his stuff if I took the time to dig into it.

IMO, you should definitely check out his album "Hunky Dory." Probably one of the albums I've listened to most, ever. So good. Also, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. IMO, Bowie is one of those artists like Kate Bush who manages to sort of be prog without using any "traditional" prog moves. I guess Peter Hamill is another. Probably has to do with their voices being super-interesting, and their lyrics very well suited to those voices.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've been thinking about getting those Bowie boxes. I only have a few of his albums. Actually, just a couple, Heroes and Lodger. Always reckoned I'd probably like a lot of his stuff if I took the time to dig into it.
    If you like those you should complete the "Eno/Berlin" trilogy with LOW.
    Do not bug a wombat, 'cause wombats bug back,
    and no-one can live through a wombat attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    If you like those you should complete the "Eno/Berlin" trilogy with LOW.
    Yeah, I know. I hesitated for ages on that one, for whatever reason. I know there was a point where his RCA era albums got transferred over to, EMI, I think it was? Anyway, they put out the new reissues after the Rykodisc deal ended, they 86ed the bonus tracks that were on the Ryko releases, so I guess that's why I never got to getting more, as dumb as that sounds.

BTW, how is Stage? Can you actually tell Adrian Belew is the guitarist on hand, or is he strictly a "back up musician" on that one (kinda like when he was playing in Zappa's band)?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    IMO, you should definitely check out his album "Hunky Dory." Probably one of the albums I've listened to most, ever. So good. Also, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. IMO, Bowie is one of those artists like Kate Bush who manages to sort of be prog without using any "traditional" prog moves. I guess Peter Hamill is another. Probably has to do with their voices being super-interesting, and their lyrics very well suited to those voices.
    Yeah, the glam era ones are kind of a given, I guess. My oldest brother had Diamond Dogs when I was little, so I remember hearing that a few times back then. I think that must have been one of the ones that he was able to trade in when he joined the Navy, because he wasn't among the records he gave me to "look after" while he was in the service. Iv'e heard it more recently, though, via Youtube, I think, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I know. I hesitated for ages on that one, for whatever reason. I know there was a point where his RCA era albums got transferred over to, EMI, I think it was? Anyway, they put out the new reissues after the Rykodisc deal ended, they 86ed the bonus tracks that were on the Ryko releases, so I guess that's why I never got to getting more, as dumb as that sounds.

BTW, how is Stage? Can you actually tell Adrian Belew is the guitarist on hand, or is he strictly a "back up musician" on that one (kinda like when he was playing in Zappa's band)?
    I have always liked "Stage" and think it is a good live album.

Belew is very much present on stage, especially on tracks like "Station to Station."
    Do not bug a wombat, 'cause wombats bug back,
    and no-one can live through a wombat attack.

The new version of Never Let Me Down with David Torn on lead guitar is pretty fucking great. The live albums are a little passable. Or, at least, they haven’t grabbed me yet.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^ Yep, this re-recorded album is excellent! The producer’s notes are correct that the song Zeroes (which I always loved) could somehow fit on Hunky Dory. Not quite because the beat just wouldn’t fit, but you can hear that DNA there. This re-recording is fantastic! I always liked the album but this makes it a more important Bowie album.