Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Help me understand Led Zeppelin?

This goes back a few years but I always found it funny.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdmJRqoMaI

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    To put it like this; garage-rock combos like The Standells, Count Five and The Seeds (plus many, many others from that era) garnered more-or-less legendary status on the strength of one single tune each, so just imagine how The Doors would have faired if "Break On Through" had been their sole achievement - they'd still be near-mythical. Yet they would proceed to deliver apocalyptic visions in spades.
    That was VERY well put.

They'd be 'Nuggets' legends.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    That's because you don't suspect your local pastor or priest or not-so local bishop to be a con man.... just like you didn't suspect them that he preyed on young boys either.... Religions are a form of organized crime.
    First of all, I was raised a Catholic.

Secondly, don't kill this thread.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Trying to understand Zep., I don't know. They had some great material. I think Jeff Beck, while arguably the finest guitarist of his age, was always somewhat jealous of Page and Zep. I think Beck was trying to be Zep in the pre-"Blow-by-Blow" days, but didn't have the songs or the band personnel.

Lyrically, they weren't the worst of the classic rockers. To me, it's all about the songs, the eclectic nature of some of their music, and the heaviness they were able to achieve in their arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Does the lady get the shitty end of the stick? She's buying the stairway to heaven. She seems to be coming out ahead in the whole deal.
    Ummm... not so much. The stairway she thinks she's buying "lies on the whispering wind," i.e., it's an illusion.

If everything still turns to gold, then the whole world is her wealth. Coupled with the idea that she can buy her way to heaven, if meant without sarcasm,
    That's the thing. I can't see how it can possibly not be sarcastic.

And as we wind on down the road, our shadows taller then our souls
    (as we head towards the certainty of our deaths)
    There walks a lady we all know, who shines white light and wants to show
    (the white goddess is among us, ready to reveal a mystery)
    How everything still turns to gold
    (the process, the way to blessed abundance, and everything gold connotates)
    And if you listen very hard, The tune will come to you at last
    (so pay attention, and put some effort in)
    When all are one and one is all, To be a rock and not to roll
    (the mystery, the transcending of duality, satori)
    And she's buying the stairway to heaven
    (plaintively sung - implication: singer and audience still aren't there)
    Wow. You've clearly put a lot of work into this interpretation. I have not, at least before this discussion; I'm looking at the surface of the song, as I believe is (mostly) appropriate for pop songs. Did Plant put that depth there in the lyrics of "Stairway"? I can't say that it isn't, but when I look at the lyrics of the other songs on that album, it's hard for me to credit it.

But, damn, the last section of that song does rock.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I think Plant once called his lyrics deep and meaningless. I always thought that was funny.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Trying to understand Zep., I don't know. They had some great material. I think Jeff Beck, while arguably the finest guitarist of his age, was always somewhat jealous of Page and Zep. I think Beck was trying to be Zep in the pre-"Blow-by-Blow" days, but didn't have the songs or the band personnel.
    Truth wasn't as sharp as Led Zeppelin's debut would be, but was nevertheless a strong album. I think when Rod Stewart left, he was somewhat artistically lost at sea. In fact I don't think Beck Ola is that great, either- particularly compared to Led Zeppelin II. Beck's move to a mostly instrumental approach was absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I think Plant once called his lyrics deep and meaningless. I always thought that was funny.
    It's actually hysterical and awfully self-aware.

Wouldst that Jon Anderson was that self-aware.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Wouldst that Jon Anderson was that self-aware.
    I disagree. Jon has total awareness of all aspects of his cosmic aura as it eminates from the astral plane. I think he has made that crystal clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I disagree. Jon has total awareness of all aspects of his cosmic aura as it eminates from the astral plane. I think he has made that crystal clear.
    Jon: "Ooh, did someone mention crystals?"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    LA Woman is better than the debut and SD put together.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

Now that we've established that Plant can't sing and Page is a sloppy guitar player that doesn't know how to play lead guitar, can another expert jump up and tell how he can't tolerate Jim Morrison's egotistic voice?

Banned
    Not me pal - Jimbo had one of the most iconic voices in the history of Rock. Robbie, not so much.

Me neither. I love the Doors (and consider the much-maligned Soft Parade a peak), and if you don't think Morrison was the linchpin of the whole operation, just check out those two godawful albums they did without him.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't usually comment on the Doors because I try to avoid being negative about artists that others love. Let's just say I like them about as well as I do the Osmonds or the Statler Brothers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Now that we've established that Plant can't sing and Page is a sloppy guitar player that doesn't know how to play lead guitar, can another expert jump up and tell how he can't tolerate Jim Morrison's egotistic voice?
    I can't say I've ever heard anyone refer to it that way. I have to disagree.

Not me pal - Jimbo had one of the most iconic voices in the history of Rock. Robbie, not so much.
    I agree. While he might not have been technically great and was, dare I say (write), a bit lounge-lizardy (no pun intended), his phrasing was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Me neither. I love the Doors (and consider the much-maligned Soft Parade a peak), and if you don't think Morrison was the linchpin of the whole operation, just check out those two godawful albums they did without him.
    I LOVE "Soft Parade."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Morrison was the best front man in the history of Rock.

NP: Communication Effing Breakdown.

Understand it!......

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    First of all, I was raised a Catholic.
    So was I... Condolences to both of us

lmao.gif

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I LOVE "Soft Parade."
    I absolutely love the title track (probably their best track ever), but the album not quite.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Communication Effing Breakdown.

Understand it!......
    If I'm going to listen to LZ, that's where I go, the first album

Zep 1 is not my favorite LZ album but it's probably their most varied. It's all there. Blues, folk, heavy metal, country, punk,...you name it.

I think Physical Graffiti and In Through The Out Door are the most varied. Those two albums had a little of everything.

On the subject of the Doors, I have a couple of albums but they never connected with me. I didn't much care for Morrison's poetry although I do understand what many love about the band.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Zep 1 is not my favorite LZ album but it's probably their most varied. It's all there. Blues, folk, heavy metal, country, punk,...you name it.
    You can make the exact same case for Physical Grafitti adding in Middle Eastern (Kashmir) and funk/rock (Trampled Under Foot).