Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYT article on The Loudness Wars

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Maybe it could have sounded better but the original is much better than the tepid remix they put out later. Ugh.
    No it isn't. The original made my ears hurt like hell and the new one was much more listenable.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I have both the original Vapor Trails and the remixed version. The remix is a completely different album.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I have both the original Vapor Trails and the remixed version. The remix is a completely different album.
    It is, and not in a good way.

Those graphs speak a 1000 words... I've been happily buying 80s/90s CDs for a while now, and a very cheap prices.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that's probably part of what's behind the vinyl renaissance... vinyl always has great dynamic range cause ya cant brickwall vinyl
    A brickwalled vinyl record would really do a number on one's stylus, throwing it violently from one extreme side to the other, then back again.

Update: to put it more succinctly, the grooves of a brickwalled record would become more like saw blades, with similar teeth.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-11-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Check out Emerson's "Three Fates" recording for an CD that is not compressed. Well done. Also I think EJ Reunion DVD is also non-compressed. If you have a decent amp these really sound good.

I don't find either one all that good, but I do find the remix significantly more listenable.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A brickwalled vinyl record would really do a number on one's stylus, throwing it violently from one extreme side to the other, then back again.
    Does Wizzard Brew count as “brickwalled”? The production was on purpose, but people kept returning copies to the store, believing there was something wrong with it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

You're not arguing that the original is better, are you?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You're not arguing that the original is better, are you?
    By far.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Maybe they need to take a third try.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Maybe they need to take a third try.
    Hope springs eternal...

I don't now anything about sound engineering, but I think they could have improved on the original with minor changes instead of putting out the overhauled bad remix.

By far.
    Diff'rent strokes, and all that, but I can't conceive of how someone could think this.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Diff'rent strokes, and all that, but I can't conceive of how someone could think this.
    The emotion has been washed out of the remix. Listen to both versions of "Secret Touch" and "Earthshine" and report back.

I have. One version, I can listen to without my ears bleeding, and the other I can't even listen to in full.

They need to put out a new version of Clockwork Angels. I liked the music but is unlistenable for me due to the excessive mastering compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Does Wizzard Brew count as “brickwalled”? The production was on purpose, but people kept returning copies to the store, believing there was something wrong with it.
    It sure sounds brickwalled to me. "Brickwalling" is the technical term for extreme limiting. Limiting is extreme compression with an infinite ratio. Standard compression will have a ratio from around 2:1 to 5:1, or thereabouts. Some more, some less, depending on the range of the hardware or software compressor being used.

Here's an example of the title track on Kaipa's Children of the Sounds album. Below was recorded off the vinyl:

Here's the same clip from the brickwalled CD:

Here's that CD clip zoomed in:

Imagine a record needle trying to ride through a groove closely resembling that valley. It would probably sound more like a buzz saw than actual music.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

yup... no nuance at all
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that's probably part of what's behind the vinyl renaissance... vinyl always has great dynamic range cause ya cant brickwall vinyl
    Sure you can.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.