Thread: RIP Izzy Young, music promoter of the 50's & 60's NYC folk music revival

RIP Izzy Young, music promoter of the 50's & 60's NYC folk music revival

izzy-young-whose-new-york-music-shop-was-the-citadel-of-folk-revival-dies-at-90

Mr Young owned the Folklore Center in Greenwich Village that served as a focal point of the folk music revival in the 60's.
    He was a big help to many artists, like Bob Dylan.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    "The future will be better tomorrow." Dan Quayle

RIP. I talked to Izzy Young once at the Folklore Center in 1967 when my then wife & I went to see Phil Ochs there. He was a mensch.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I was not familiar with him, but his obit in the Washington Post was a fascinating read.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Was the movie "A Mighty Wind" inspired by him?