Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Yes album would this have fit on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Yessish track.....
    Oh, God, yeah, this is VERY Sherwood, down to the midtempo vibe and the lyrics. I didn't know the Outfield ever sounded like this either.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

That was a cool find, Sean. Who would have thunk? ;-) But, it's always or was almost always the popish stuff that were radio singles. I agree with all the previous sentiments posted.

John Spinks claimed that he was in a band that competed against Iron Maiden, and it was Maiden that got signed. Who would have thought that, too. ;-) Your Love was a great summer, feel good hit; still is. 80's, early 90's, contrary to many of the old codgers ;-) who post here, had so many great pop songs.

And while I do often claim publicly that YES-music from the early 70s is my favorite, truth be told, some of the best written, produced, mixed, played and sung "pop-songs" and so much more songs by ABBA makes them my favorite group with the best output of all time. No, they can't really compete going to the symphony, but ABBA was there at the right time for me. ;-)

Steven, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Steven, is that you?
    I'll never tell. ;-) You do know, Sean, that a certain Mr Howe ( and I do know that you very well know; but for the sake if others who might not ) actually lists an ABBA song in his top five songs of all time, or did.

Now if you will excuse, I'm starting to get a little seasick. ;-)

And it's Stephen, if anyone is following along. ;-)

Once had the wife of a huge YES-fan meet Rick for the first time. She called him "Richard"; . I about lost my shit. Rick was polite, and said, "please call me Rick".

I knew a woman who picked up Stephen Stills from the airport to take to an undisclosed location overseas to perform at a base. She innocently called him Steve and he pretty much had her stop the car, and told her "My name is Stephen, no one calls me Steve. Do you understand me?

Something about them Steves, er, Stephens. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    I knew a woman who picked up Stephen Stills from the airport to take to an undisclosed location overseas to perform at a base. She innocently called him Steve and he pretty much had her stop the car, and told her "My name is Stephen, no one calls me Steve. Do you understand me?

Something about them Steves, er, Stephens. ;-)
    Yeah, they are pretty insane. And you can add the Daves, Davids, Bobs and Roberts as well.

It's too bad we don't all have names that are clear, like Yami.

Finally got around to listening to this last night. Wow. Very Sherwood-y. I missed this album, somehow. I'll have to find it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Yep, very late '80s Yes or maybe even the Talk album. I'd agreed with the Sherwood as well, if we're talking production style; he wished his voice sounded this good.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    I would agree with "Open Your Eyes." It has a very (bland) Squire/Sherwood feel. I can hear either Jon or Chris singing it.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Well, that saves me the trouble of listening to it.
    I shut it off at 0:07. Post #2 confirmed; never need to hear it again.

The eons are closing
    Voices of Babylon was the bands peak IMO. Still the only disc of the first three that I have.
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Finally got around to listening to this last night. Wow. Very Sherwood-y. I missed this album, somehow. I'll have to find it.
    I'd say this is the best on the album.

The opening song on the album, "Aladin's Cave", has some interesting time signatures. There's several other really good songs. Jon Spinks was dying from liver cancer during the making of this album. He played until he finally couldn't even pick up the guitar. It was similar to the situation Gary Strater faced when recording the final Starcastle album "Song of Times".
    Tony Lewis, the singer/bassist recently put out his first solo album. He played most of the instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The opening song on the album, "Aladin's Cave", has some interesting time signatures. There's several other really good songs. Jon Spinks was dying from liver cancer during the making of this album. He played until he finally couldn't even pick up the guitar. It was similar to the situation Gary Strater faced when recording the final Starcastle album "Song of Times".
    Tony Lewis, the singer/bassist recently put out his first solo album. He played most of the instruments.
    Thanks for sharing this info. I was familiar with the Gary Stratler situation(and love that album by the way), but not about Jon Spinks.
    Think I'll check out the Lewis album.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice