Thread: Citizen Cain Update

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Citizen Cain Update

Stewart Bell sent out an email today, which I've copied below, and I have a couple of comments/questions after it (Stewart has posted on PE in the past):

Dear Friends,

It's been a while since I've sent out a newsletter so here's a little update on what's been happening. Since Citizen Cain disbanded in 2012 Cyrus and myself have been working on solo projects. As you are probably aware I have already released parts 1 & 2 of my project, "The Antechamber of Being" trilogy, and I am glad to announce that Cyrus is entering the final phases of the writing process for his debut album, "Black Moth The Honey Bee". He still has a way to go as the whole digital writing process has been a huge learning curve for him but the majority of his work is done.

I've also been working hard on a new album and, although it's not the one that most of you are waiting for (TAOB Pt 3), I'm sure it'll still please fans of our music. Before I proceed with part 3 of the trilogy I've decided it'll make more sense to try and increase my fan base within the prog community. Although there are many prog fans who love the complexity of an album that is structured as a continuous piece of music with an underlying concept, story line, recurring themes etc, there are many who are put off by the investment required when listening to something of this magnitude. To that end I plan to release an album of stand alone songs which, although are all inspired by the story from TAOB, are not part of the overall theme. The hope is to catch the attention of fans who, as of yet, haven't come across our music in the hope that they will then jump on board with our bigger, conceptual works as well. As in my previous solo projects the album will feature several guest vocalists - including Citizen Cain's very own Cyrus himself. The working title is The Chamber Of Anti-Being (see what I did there!) and it is more than halfway to completion. More news on this and Cyurs' project will be coming very soon.

Meanwhile we plan to put the entire Citizen Cain back catalogue on digital/ streaming platforms for the first time ever and, in order to proceed with this, we have set up a fundraiser to help with the costs of registering the works for this purpose. We appreciate that many of you will already own these albums on CD but nevertheless we hope that you are willing to help out with the process of moving these classic pieces of prog history into the digital realms plus, anyone buying a perk/ contributing will recieve, as well as a digital copy of the remastered Citizen Cain album of their choice, a link to an exclusive video of rare "bootleg" footage of the band playing live in the early 90s! The live footage was recorded during the "Serpents In Camouflage" tour and includes the performance of the entire album plus a cover version of the Gabriel era Genesis favourite "Firth of Fifth".

Visit the fundraiser in Indiegogo

You can also contribute direct via my Paypal account (stewartdavidbell@gmail.com) if you don't want to/ or can't contribute through Indiegogo and, of course, any purchases of our existing merch through our website will also help towards the cost of the campaign. As always, many thanks to all of you guys who are the ones who make all of this possible. THANK YOU!!
    Best Wishes
    Stewart Bell

Good news on all fronts, Stewart! I have a couple of questions:

- Do you have any info on what platforms you're planning to make the back catalog available? Is Bandcamp one? If we pledge, how will we receive downloads? (Personally I'm more interested in Bandcamp as I can listen to the albums from the Bandcamp app.)

- What are the costs involved in getting the back catalog available? I actually didn't realize there WERE costs, I thought the platforms just took their cut (some bigger than others of course!).

Hope you don't mind these questions. Best of luck with all that's going on!

Oops, hereís one more question, Stewart (or anyone):

Was the first part of The Antechamber of Being released as a physical CD? I canít remember if I have a CD or a download only. (Was just looking at the deluxe edition of part II - itís quite nice!)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Oops, here’s one more question, Stewart (or anyone):

Was the first part of The Antechamber of Being released as a physical CD? I can’t remember if I have a CD or a download only. (Was just looking at the deluxe edition of part II - it’s quite nice!)
    Yes, I have it on CD. Here's the discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/Citizen-Cain...elease/7860055

Thanks, that jarred my memory - I bought the book (I think this was the reprint), and either that included a download or I also bought a download. I think it was included, because the reprint was a crowdfunding thing.