Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The live version is the definitive version

Mountain - Dreams Of Milk And Honey from Flowers of Evil

Any 80's Crimson, with the exception of "The Sheltering Sky", on Absent Lovers or later liver releases. "Red" also is better on nearly every live version I have.

"Close to the Edge" on Yessongs.

Everything on 'Waiting for Columbus'.

...and, since there never was a "studio" version: Billy the Mountain!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

As much as I love the vintage vibe on the original "Zomby Woof", its the '88 band version on Best Band that has always been my favorite ever since I heard it. FZ's clean strat solo is damn fiunky and groovy on that.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

All songs on Viva! Roxy Music.

One that comes to mind would be "Starship Trooper" from Yessongs. A lot of southern rock was better live. "Freebird", "Green Grass And High Tides", "Boogie No More" are a few that the live versions were better IMO.

Genesis In The Cage, Three Sides Live

Genesis Domino, Wembley 1985

Jeff Beck and the Jan Hammer Group
    Brecker Brother's Heavy Metal Bebop!!

Genesis Live - Watcher of the Skies

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One that comes to mind would be "Starship Trooper" from Yessongs.
    Not for me - Yes are a killer live band but that is one instance where I prefer the studio version. For one thing, I never liked the way they made Wakeman's solo come first at the climax of the song live, that should always be Steve Howe. Secondly, Howe himself changed the way he played the Wurm chords over the years (I don't blame him, it must be boring playing that thousands of times). But it just doesn't have the same magic as it does on The Yes Album for me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^Similarly I don't like the whole band playing on the instrumental parts of 'I Get Up I Get Down'. Too over-dramatic for me, worked better as a vocal/keyboard thing. If we're talking Yes I think 'Ritual' on Yesshows.

The Rolling Stones, 'Midnight Rambler', Brussels 1973. My favourite ever rock live recording.

I love that version of 'Little Wing' the Jimi Hendrix Experience did at the Royal Albert Hall 1969. This is the one on albums like Experience, Hendrix In The West etc. Exceptional.

Bob Dylan's infamous 'Judas' Manchester Free Trade Hall 1966 recording of 'Like A Rolling Stone'. History.

Thin Lizzy- 'Still In Love With You', Live And Dangerous. The studio original is quite a low-key thing really, this is epic and the centrepiece of the live album for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Genesis Live - Watcher of the Skies
    Have to say, there are particularly ferocious versions of this and 'The Musical Box', played as the encore numbers at the Shrine 1975 show which have still never been officially released.
    Last edited by JJ88; 02-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.

FYI, I started a similar thread some time ago (2015) and had many interesting reactions:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...tudio-versions

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Have to say, there are particularly ferocious versions of this and 'The Musical Box', played as the encore numbers at the Shrine 1975 show which have still never been officially released.
    Absolutely. Both of those songs have a fiery edge to them in just about any recorded live rendition. The studio versions are nice, but the band is right when they say they were unable to capture the raw energy they wanted on those songs on record.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    FYI, I started a similar thread some time ago (2015) and had many interesting reactions:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...tudio-versions
    Oops, and I even posted at least once on that thread!

I knew the topic seemed vaguely familiar....

Everything in Space Ritual - Hawkwind, and in particular Space Is Deep.

Lou Reed Sweet Jane on Rock'n'roll Animal

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I would also nominate "Heroin" from that album as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    As well as every other song on that album. The Hunter/Wagner guitar team lit a fire under Lou and the rest of his back up band, even if Lou ended up feeling upstaged.

Yesshows - Ritual

"Midnight Rambler" on the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out, especially when they go into that Canned-Heat-boogie riffing at the end.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Most Magma live albums. Some Cardiacs too.

(Umm. Really? You like the Second's Out IKWIL better than the one from the first archive box?

Well, no accounting for tastes.)

As mentioned above, almost anything by Krimson.

"The Knife" from Genesis Live.

"Montgomery Clift" from the tour Random Hold did supporting Peter Gabriel, except that the damn thing fades out on the record, where live it built ... and built ... and built the tension that is kind of deflated by the fadeout.

Speaking of PG, "In Your Eyes" from Secret World Live
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Led Zeppelin: "THANK YOU" from Live At Blueberry Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Okay, I'm with you there.

Whaaaaaaaa.......?
    Yeah, my thought, too. Helluva thing to say!

Here we go:

Yes: "Perpetual Change", "Long Distance Runaround/The Fish" (from Yessongs)
    Gentle Giant: "The Runaway", "Experience" & "Excerpts from Octopus" (from Playing The Fool)
    King Crimson: "Becascon/The Talking Drum/Larks' Toungues In Aspic Pt. 2" (from Cirkus-The Young Persons Guide To King Crimson Live) also "21st Century Schizoid Man" (from Epitaph)
    Frank Zappa: "Catholic Girls" & "Zomby Woof" (from Cheap Thrills)
    Emerson Lake & Palmer: "Aquatarkus" & "Toccatta" (from Welcome Back My Friends...) also "The Old Castle" & "The Curse Of Baba Yaga" (from Pictures At An Exhibition)