Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens with your record collection when you are gone?

I'm going out Viking style. The executors are under instructions to build a longship out of my CDs and burn me on it. I reckon digipacks plus jewel cases will burn pretty well with a little accelerant...just watch out for the fumes.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

in the trash where it belongs
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Bury my vinyl with me.
    The Prog Corner

Melt the vinyl, and make me a vinyl coffin so I can rest well in all eternity.

Just don't tell RC, he might dig me out just to convince me of the digital coffin superiority...

You can't take it with you. Your heirs will sell/give away etc. Main thing is your collection for you only, not some sort of legacy item.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    And "Dude...you forgot your shoes!!!"
    TSA rules

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Just don't tell RC, he might dig me out just to convince me of the digital coffin superiority...
    Nah. Vinyl coffin would be warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    Does your family want it?You take it with you in your grave?You give it away?
    I often ask myself this very question. None of my kids seem interested in exploring any of the 5000+ CDs I insanely amassed. I hope to have enough advance notification that the exit is in sight so I can try to do one of two things: (1) sell the collection and try to recover at least a fraction of what I poured in it or, (2) try to donate it to Toronto Public Library or, better yet, the Toronto Royal Conservatory of Music, should they be interested in getting it (I suspect not).

Well, a topic that I wrestled with for about 15 years and I am surprised no one has mentioned my approach. I put off creating a will for over ten years because I could not determine how to pass on my 10K LP and 8K cd collections. Similar to some of the commentary, no one would appreciate them and/or know what to do with them. I always thought I would have all of that until I passed. But I realized that with that quantity and my desire to here all somewhat equally that I will likely not hear my vinyl again after another several years or so. When I learned of the current vinyl value resurgence and seller/collector tools available, I found an answer.

Soooo......

I am selling my vinyl into the collector's market via Discogs, some eBay and at a local bi-monthly record show. I would like to transfer all my CDs to digital and then sell them. But of course unless CDs value trend reverses like vinyl, may not be as successful. So I won't take them with me, nor attempt to will them to anyone. And I am getting some significant bucks to do some other things in my comfy retirement years. And if you are wondering, yes, this has become a part time job.

^ Wot's your Discogs ID?

Quote Originally Posted by zappaeverafter View Post
    I am selling my vinyl into the collector's market via Discogs, some eBay and at a local bi-monthly record show. I would like to transfer all my CDs to digital and then sell them. But of course unless CDs value trend reverses like vinyl, may not be as successful. So I won't take them with me, nor attempt to will them to anyone. And I am getting some significant bucks to do some other things in my comfy retirement years. And if you are wondering, yes, this has become a part time job.
    If I kick the bucket, my survivors aren't going to be concerned about the $500, 1, 2, or $3K they may or may not be able to get out of my collection. They're going to be far more interested in the $80K of equity in my townhouse. The only way they'll be able to get that is clearing everything out by whatever means necessary, so they can put it on the market. They're certainly not going to dick around trying to sell each piece on Discogs. My older brother works 2 jobs...he ain't got time for that s***.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Wot's your Discogs ID?
    My Discogs id is lablatec. I have quite a stylistic spread (that will raise eyebrows here) going back to mid 60's. About a quarter of my listings go rather quickly as I am pricing to sell. I have another 8K titles to go.

Per progmatist's pragmatic comment concerning sibling's potential reluctance/likely not having time to pursue sell-off, that is exactly what anyone with a large collection faces. It may not be practical for someone who inherits such a load to sell other than as a lot.

My daughter gets it all.

I need to tell her to get a hold of Prete & Belkin to sell the stuff she doesn't want.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Nah. Vinyl coffin would be warmer.

Actually laughing out loud, Robert. Nice one.

Hey, once I'm dead, it won't be my problem, will it? ...Seriously, I hope my "heirs" will try to get $$$ for them...

I've already sold all my vinyl via Discogs. My mother is still alive and sane at 91 and is able to use a tablet to communicate on Facebook with her friends and family. She also realizes that nothing she has is any longer of value to her and has told me to take anything I want from her attic and from her photograph albums now. If I'm as sane as her by my eighties then I'll sell all the CDs off then, if they have any value, and keep just the mp3's until I die assuming I still have my hearing.

I only have 14 CDs, of which two are Paul Anka compilations and five are anthologies by Johnny Mathis.

But I'm not going to die, I think. Already tried it, and it didn't work.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It all depends on how I pass away, If it's sudden death, I don't care because I won't be there, but if I died of natural causes, I will give it to the community of Prog fans. I still have to find their address...

I am so attached to my collection that I really need to do something about it before I die, because I am scared that I will have to return from death and haunt the shit out of the poor fucker that will find my collection in the dumpster where my wife will ditch it the next nanosecond after I die.

Vinyl already gone. You can make a claim with my estate for the CD's - Nobody I know even listens to CDs anymore.

I volunteer at a Goodwill-type agency in Connecticut. We are on the receiving end of various music collections (we don't take books - the library does and resells them). Mostly we get the leftovers after the dealers and relatives have sorted through. They get looked at by our people (like me, and I take good stuff to the radio station), then left out for clients to pick through, then what's left (lots of those awful compilations) is given to local artists to melt down for their art or taken to the recycler or trash burner.
    Vinyl in good shape still seems to draw people. CDs not so much. Cassettes are immediately thrown out. There are occasional treasures but I think a huge volume goes right to the dump/recycling. Rightly so in my view.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I only have 14 CDs, of which two are Paul Anka compilations and five are anthologies by Johnny Mathis.

But I'm not going to die, I think. Already tried it, and it didn't work.
    Dude, you ARE dead.

Banned
    It's all transient. In 100 years noboby will know that any of us or our collections ever existed, but the great progressive works will still be listened too long after Drake and Moron 5 and the rest of the current batch of pop tripe are long forgotten, all IMHO. So that's what matters.

As for me, I will be gradually off-loading most of my physical media and going to digital as I get nearer to maggot-bait in an effort to simplify things and reduce life's clutter. Part of that will the thining out the overall collection so that my time is spent listening only to things I truly dig.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ... but the great progressive works will still be listened too long after Drake and Moron 5 and the rest of the current batch of pop tripe are long forgotten, all IMHO.
    ^^^^

This is somewhere between wishful thinking and an out and out lie.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    ^^^
    Steve, my humble opinion is just that. it may be foolish and naive but it is certainly no lie. Jezuz, next you'll be claiming I dyed my hair orange and started grabbing women's private parts...

Anyway, in 1973 Tony Orlando and Dawn where #1. I think their star is fading while progressive works from that year like Larks Tongues In Aspic or Selling England By The Pound will outlive us baby boomers. Again all IMHO. :-)