Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens with your record collection when you are gone?

What happens with your record collection when you are gone?

Does your family want it?You take it with you in your grave?You give it away?

I suspect my younger brother will offer to take it off my wife's hands....

They dig a deeper (much deeper) hole and throw them in after you!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd happily pass it along to me 18 year old son, who loves prog.

I sold my records after my kids all told me they had no interest in them. That was 2000 LPs. And my kids are all in their 30s.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

My guess is my nephew will throw it into the dumpster with just about everything else. My guess is that will be 20-35 years from now. My stuff will be worth jack squat. Hopefully the books will meet a kinder fate.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I hate to think about it, but most of my stuff will probably end up in a dumpster. The older I get, it seems the less likely I'll have children. Maybe I should get a will together, and put some order in there about how they need to be donated to...I have no idea who I'd donate them to. Who would want all this stuff?!

And it's not just the LP's and CD's, it's the magazines, the tour programs (I wen through a phase where I bought a whole bunch off E-bay), the books, my guitars, all the rest of my crap. It'll all end up in a landfill probably.

Now I feel like crying.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I need to at least sit my sons down and teach them how to fondle a boxed set. I should also gather together the items signed by possibly notable artists.

If my wife out-survives me, landfill... We have a good relationship overall, but rock music is sadly not a part of it.

They'll probably be picked over in an estate sale, eventually sold by the pound.

I'm gonna make a will. My daughter will inherited the house and all its contents. She'll get my bass and amp, and my hundreds of CDs.

Frightens me to think what happens to it haha. It's worth well over $100k. Probably my older son. He would appreciate at least a quarter of its contents.

Goodwill......Most likely a dumpster. As the boomers die off this crap will overload the thrift shops.

Was talking about that with a friend who is 65 and single his whole life. He has about a $30,000 stereo system and nice video set up downstairs and not too over bearing collection of vinyl, cds and video. He has a brother who has no interest into the music and maybe a niece and nephew who don't share the same musical tastes. A friend of a friend passed away about two years ago with about a $200,000 stereo system, what incredibly sounding speakers. We never did hear where that system ended up.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Whoever finds my two cardboard boxes of CDs will look through them and say, "what the heck is all this stuff? I have literally never heard of any of these bands or artists. Did he listen to anything remotely popular??"

The opposite happened after an unfortunate situation before Christmas 2017 when an employee of my co-tenant took his own life, he played guitar in a classic rock band. Most of his possessions were left in his van outside the workplace and a family member came by and didn't want any of it. My co-tenant took out whatever tools that belonged to the business and saw the boxes and boxes of CDs and told me to go through them and see if there was anything I wanted before he tossed them in the dumpster.

I looked through and nearly every CD was a classic rock or popular hit album, stuff you really didn't need to own because it's all over the radio anyway. I didn't want to keep any of the CDs, didn't feel right, but I did find one surprise in the whole lot - "Beat 'em Up" by Iggy Pop. Gave it a listen and it was quite a bit whacked as I'd never heard any of his albums other than radio stuff like "I'm Bored". He didn't have any other Iggy albums or anything else I would consider a surprise so it was quite strange to find this one outlier in a box of "safe" choices...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I've impressed upon my brother the value of the collection, and it would probably be his kids who would be the ones to acquire it. In order to realize the true value (or anything close to it,) it would need to be sold off one piece at a time. If my niece and nephew are too lazy to do that, then they don't need the money anyway.

When my brother died we had to throw out his massive album, cassette and CD collection along with most of the contents of his house including thousands of books for the simple reason he was a smoker and everything stunk to high heaven. I grabbed a couple of rare cds but dumped them by the time I got back to my place because of the smell. When I returned to the US I immediately threw out my album and cassette collection - I'm not a smoker but i did not want my wife and/or family to have to deal with the extremely distressing job of going through a load of stuff which, frankly, meant a lot to me but absolutely nothing to anyone else in the family.
    That was about ten years ago - I have spent the time digitizing my cd collection and dumping or giving them away to thrift shops. If any of my family wants my music collection they can have it - its on a 2TB hard drive in mp3 format with a backup copy on another hard drive.
    Going through the possessions of someone close who has passed away is not a pleasant ordeal, especially as it is usually done at a time when you are already grieving and stressed. I really don't think my wife or niece and nephews would find much solace in my Psychic TV and Throbbing Gristle collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm gonna make a will. My daughter will inherited the house and all its contents. She'll get my bass and amp, and my hundreds of CDs.
    And a tambourine and a cowbell.

It's actually in my will that the 20% of my 5 kids (progeezer's ghost here when he posts) that appreciate Prog get my cds/dvds. The other 80% are on record as not giving a shit.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I need to at least sit my sons down and teach them how to fondle a boxed set.

My nephew has asked for all my Zappa stuff otherwise my girlfriend has been instructed to sell everything she can, take the $ and move back to her native California. She's 20 years younger than me so if we're just goin' by the numbers, I'll croak first.

I expect it will turn into shoes, with the money my wife gets after selling all but a set of jazz albums and (oddly) the first Picchio Dal Pozzo CD, a mark of her reasonably good musical tastes (she’s much more into classical- esp. Satie).

The collection will find new, happy homes courtesy of Japan’s superb Disk Union service.

Frankly, when I'm gone, the entire Universe can blink out of existence for all I care. Record collection is the least of my worries.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I sold my records after my kids all told me they had no interest in them. That was 2000 LPs. And my kids are all in their 30s.
    I need to do that, as my wife will simply throw them in the trash...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They dig a deeper (much deeper) hole and throw them in after you!
    Roflmao! Exactly. Oh my siblings will cherry pick a few Pink Floyd, Elton, Chicago, Doobies etc but the TD, Schulze, Cluster, Schmoelling and the like are all going in that bigger hole with me.

The plan is to outlive them all! Removes the fighting 😂

My kids will take split the classical stuff with my youngest taking Jeff Beck and King Crimson. My oldest will take Elton John’s Peachtree Road which she absolutely loves above everything else I have. No I can’t figure it out either.
    Last edited by Tangram; 02-03-2019 at 02:50 AM.