Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What happens with your record collection when you are gone?

Great, if sobering question. I also don't have kids . Big ELP dominated collection with some rare stuff and all the boxed sets, also some rare Jaco Pastorius . But in a way it's a big tea chest full of programmes, music magazines, patches, rarities going back to 1970 that I can just see someone saying , ' In the bin'

I ve tried scanning the rarer stuff and posting on FB, Pinterest, but I think we all just have overload now. Images of our favourite musicians were actually quite rare back in the day. But now there is hardly ever an image of ELP that I haven't seen.

Funnnily I m also a cricket nut ( I m in the U.K.) and my hero was Imran Khan ( now Pakistans prime minister!), I have a huge collection of magazine features on him and I get all sorts of requests from Pakistan, but yet again in the end I guess it will be thrown away.

It's interesting how our heros are increasingly selling their instruments, Dave Gilmour the latest . Something very poignant about that.

Second hand vinyl has a good value here in the UK. It would better to take the them to someone for resale, going to the dump is too tragic to contemplate.

This topic has been floated a few times since both of my parents have recently passed on.. I still have several boxes of my parents books that unfortunately were stored in their basement so no book store is interested in the basement odors / mildew etc. I know I will end up finally tossing them into a dumpster.. Likewise I have a box with his LP's which are equally damaged from moisture.. all classical / show tunes etc from that "era".. thus the questions to my wife recently "what about our stuff?" I ventured a guess that our two girls would come in and grab a couple Beatles albums and perhaps a book or two related to the Beatles and that would be it.. the rest of it would end up in a thrift shop or dumpster.. We have collectively been on a downsizing frenzy for that very reason.. why burden your children with those decisions..

I'm a little surprised that no one mentions anything about getting the prog community involved in some way.

I would think that the two motives that would drive most collectors would be either "I want to make sure it's sold with proceeds to my family" or "I want to make sure it goes to someone (or many people) that will enjoy it". I've told my wife, essentially, to contact a few friends in the community to handle it as they would know what they might want to keep, sell, and/or toss.

I felt a little differently about it 10 years ago - but let's be real here - physical media is going the way of the prog fan. With each year that passes going forward, the value of used CDs specifically gets closer and closer to zero. In the next 20-40 years what will that look like? There may be a few niche communities that will pay $50 for a copy of a Porcupine Tree CD, but expecting anyone in your family to understand how to maximize that value is highly unlikely.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

i gave all my vinyls to my nephew. i recently condensed my cd collection by putting them into books with sleeves for 400 cd's.
    in that process i threw away about 30% of my collection. i didn't see the point in keeping alot of them. i rarely listen to CD's.
    i listen to music on my ipod (in car) and itunes... currently have 5 days and 6 hours of music on it. i update it maybe once a month.

What should I care?
    If I'm dead there will be no-one to do anything with them.
    Perhaps if I could take care of that before dead, but as long as I live I don't want to part from my CD's, records and books.

Sunday Indeed ~

Good post topic and I would like to thank Poisoned Youth for asking an extremely good question. I, in recent years, have formally put together my will and last wishes. On subject here is the wording in my Last Will:

I give to the organization Progressive Ears or ProgressiveEars.org all of my music DVD's, CD's, audio equipment and visual equipment. If Progressive Ears or ProgressiveEars.org does not exist at my time of death, then the property shall become part of the residue of my estate and shall be distributed according to the plan of distribution for the residue.

I give to ProgDay music festival, of North Carolina, the sum of $10,000. If ProgDay music festival does not exist at the time of my death, then the sum shall become part of the residue of my estate and shall be distributed according to the plan of distribution for the residue.

~ simply... I would like to help the two entities, that have added so much to my life, with some financial help to continue.

Something else I have thought about - and have had a SHORT conversation with ProgDay Michael Bennet. There's a whole bunch of us 'followers' who are having the years go by. What if... 'follower funding' to get that one band on the ProgDay stage before that band is part of musical history? I would like to discuss it further...

Carry On

Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Whoever finds my two cardboard boxes of CDs will look through them and say, "what the heck is all this stuff? I have literally never heard of any of these bands or artists. Did he listen to anything remotely popular??".
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    - but let's be real here - physical media is going the way of the prog fan.
    Of course. I'm much more worried about the Cray-1 that my father bought in 1976 for my sixth birthday. It cost $35 million in today's dollars, but it may have depreciated a bit over the past 40 years. Worse, I don't see any signs that millennials have any appreciation for how great the Cray-1 was back in the day.

I'll probably have to put it up on ebay eventually.

I really don't care about what happens to my collection, but I am really worried of what happens to your collection. Suppose it falls in the wrong hands, of people who don't appreciate The Prog. So in order to avoid this horrible threat, that could make everyone here roll over in their graves until eternity, I will allow you to make me the sole inheritor of your records. Trust me, I will appreciate and play. My email and rest of my personal data are at your disposal anytime.

I actually was planning on taking them with me, along with my drums and an extra box of sticks.

Follow-up to my earlier post: my daughter said she might take them. Her logic: "Who knows, vinyl is cool now. Maybe cd's will be cool again in 20 years? They're nice and shiny."

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm a little surprised that no one mentions anything about getting the prog community involved in some way.

ROTFLMAO

.....oh....you’re serious.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm gonna smoke my entire collection before I croak....hopefully catch some sort of chemical buzz from the melting vinyl and plastic.

My parents live in an Active Adult Community. When one of their neighbors kicks the bucket, their children/heirs will call in a dealer specializing in a particular collection, point to said collection and ask, "How much for the lot?" If I croak tomorrow, my parents and/or brothers and sisters in law would call in a local used record proprietor, point to my hundreds of CDs and thousands of vinyl records and ask, "How much for the lot?"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They dig a deeper (much deeper) hole and throw them in after you!
    I hope to be cremated, or some future incineration method that does not put my carbon in the atmosphere. When I no longer need my body, I don't figure the earth does, either. Plus, I can't afford a cemetery plot. For Dog's sake, don't throw my records, tapes and CDs in the fire with me. I don't want to be responsible for that giant plume of black smoke. My wife says she will build a shrine with the record collection I leave behind.

Sell everything before its too late !

I fully expect to ascend into Heaven upon my demise, and of course all 6,000 CDs will rise up with me because what would Heaven be without my collection?

At least I know what to do with my dad's collection of CD's, records and books on traditional jazz. A friend of his, who is a bit younger than me, might be interested or know people who could be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hmm...The guy with upraised arm on the right is obviously saying, "I told ya not to turn your backs on him!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I hate to think about it, but most of my stuff will probably end up in a dumpster. The older I get, it seems the less likely I'll have children. Maybe I should get a will together, and put some order in there about how they need to be donated to...I have no idea who I'd donate them to. Who would want all this stuff?!

And it's not just the LP's and CD's, it's the magazines, the tour programs (I wen through a phase where I bought a whole bunch off E-bay), the books, my guitars, all the rest of my crap. It'll all end up in a landfill probably.

Now I feel like crying.
    Your local library would love to have it, I'll bet. We even have a Friends Of The Library that takes stuff (books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, etc.), resells it and gives (some of) the $$ to the library for operating costs.

So yeah, get on that will. If you need help, this is great. https://www.aarp.org/entertainment/b...my-family.html

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Hmm...The guy with upraised arm on the right is obviously saying, "I told ya not to turn your backs on him!"
    Actually, he's saying "Wait, wait, can I have your bootleg of Faust V?"

"what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Your local library would love to have it, I'll bet. We even have a Friends Of The Library that takes stuff (books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, etc.), resells it and gives (some of) the $$ to the library for operating costs.
    I've read here on the same type of thread a couple of years ago that libraries often won't take records and CDs.

And "Dude...you forgot your shoes!!!"