Thread: Beat Club/Musikladen on YouTube

Beat Club/Musikladen on YouTube

Highlighted on the Hoffman forum so I thought it was worth posting here with the OGWT thread. A sizeable chunk of footage recorded for Beat Club and Musikladen in the 60s/70s/80s, all sorts of prog-related stuff here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/myBeatclub/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Musikladen/videos

Are these the full performances, or just the stuff that was aired at the time? At least in the case of Beat Club, it turns out that at least some of the badns who appeard on the show played for way longer than what got shown. Kign Crimson is the prime example: the Larks Tongues quintent played for something like 40 minutes, but only the last 5 minutes was shown at the time. The Grateful Dead played for over an hour, but only One More Saturday Night was seen by TV audiences. Makes me wonder how long Can, Kraftwerk, or Popol Vuh (or Deep Purple for that matter) played.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Are these the full performances, or just the stuff that was aired at the time? At least in the case of Beat Club, it turns out that at least some of the badns who appeard on the show played for way longer than what got shown. Kign Crimson is the prime example: the Larks Tongues quintent played for something like 40 minutes, but only the last 5 minutes was shown at the time. The Grateful Dead played for over an hour, but only One More Saturday Night was seen by TV audiences. Makes me wonder how long Can, Kraftwerk, or Popol Vuh (or Deep Purple for that matter) played.
    A quick scroll thru the Musikladen link and I saw one video of Rick Van der Linden and Trace that looked to be over an hour so my assumption is there must be other full length performances.. Don't have much time to explore right now but have saved the links.. Thanks for posting JJ88

Interesting early material by Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnwayne View Post
    Interesting early material by Chicago.
    I haven't watched that yet, is that live, or they lip syncing? I know there was a stretch on Beat Club, in the late 60's, where they had the bands lip syncing (e.g. The Who miming Pictures Of Lily, with Entwistle breaking out the French horn, etc).

There's a few interesting things. Looks like they have most or all of the Dead's performance up there. Hopefully, they'll continue to add to the archive there.

I watched the April Wine performance on Musik Laden, looks like it must be from the early 80's. Myles Godwynn is wearing the same red and white shirt that he's wearing in the Hammersmith Odeon concert from '81, I think it is (MTV used to air Just Between You And Me and Sign Of The Gypsy Queen from that concert, as videos).

I kinda wanna check out the Stevie Wonder and Heatwave footage they got on the MusikLaden page.