Thread: Porky Prime Cuts

Porky Prime Cuts

I bought recently a couple of used records and I never could decipher the informations on the outrun (not that it really mattered for me ) So I read this article about record cutting and matrixes and the name of George Packham showed up a UK cutting engineer, who left messages on the outruns and who was copied then by others.
    I looked through a couple of records and found so far two "messages" not linked to the print.

A Certain Ratio : To Each Factory 35 A Side "Strawberry" B Side " I Could Kneel With My Arms Open"

Joy Division : Closer Factory 25 A Side "OLd BLue ?"
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Some more Joy Divisions:

Still: (A) The chicken won't stop / (B) [drawing of chicken tracks] / (C) [more chicken tracks] / (D) The chicken stops here
    Transmission 12": (A) I've seen the real atrocities / (B) Buried in the sand
    Love Will Tear Us Apart 12": (A) Don't disillusion me / (B) I've only got record shops left

Eno:
    Another Green World: (B) Remember those quiet evenings
    Before and After Science: (A) Gone before to that unknown and silent shore / (B) Arcane benefits of creed [note the anagram]
    The Lion Sleeps Tonight/I'll Come Running (To Tie Your Shoes) 45: (A) E=MC2 / (B) Dedicated to R. Saariko's shoes and I. MacDonald's polish

Robert Fripp:
    Exposure: (A) 1981 is the year of the Fripp / (B) The aim is freedom conscience and truth
    God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners: (A) New music is not a style, it is a quality / (B) Art is the capacity to re-expereince one's innocence
    League of Gentlemen: (B) The next step is Discipline

Go-Go's: Vacation: (A) Is this record a pencil or a beer can?
    Gryphon: Raindance: (B) Totally illogical captain
    Robin Hitchcock: Groovy Decay: (A) Happy birthday, Toots / (B) I'll be happy once
    Lene Lovich: Flex: (A) Lene is the leader! / (B) Les is more!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Some more Joy Divisions:

Still: (A) The chicken won't stop / (B) [drawing of chicken tracks] / (C) [more chicken tracks] / (D) The chicken stops here
    Transmission 12": (A) I've seen the real atrocities / (B) Buried in the sand
    Love Will Tear Us Apart 12": (A) Don't disillusion me / (B) I've only got record shops left

Eno:
    Another Green World: (B) Remember those quiet evenings
    Before and After Science: (A) Gone before to that unknown and silent shore / (B) Arcane benefits of creed [note the anagram]
    The Lion Sleeps Tonight/I'll Come Running (To Tie Your Shoes) 45: (A) E=MC2 / (B) Dedicated to R. Saariko's shoes and I. MacDonald's polish

Robert Fripp:
    Exposure: (A) 1981 is the year of the Fripp / (B) The aim is freedom conscience and truth
    God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners: (A) New music is not a style, it is a quality / (B) Art is the capacity to re-expereince one's innocence
    League of Gentlemen: (B) The next step is Discipline

Go-Go's: Vacation: (A) Is this record a pencil or a beer can?
    Gryphon: Raindance: (B) Totally illogical captain
    Robin Hitchcock: Groovy Decay: (A) Happy birthday, Toots / (B) I'll be happy once
    Lene Lovich: Flex: (A) Lene is the leader! / (B) Les is more!
    Cool,
    I'll check out for more. Was this a speciality of Factory records ?
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I remember quite a few humorous ones on Ian Gillan albums and singles. "Is this your Pontefract cake?" was one of them; the band must have had some input to the process as some of the inscriptions were relevant to the band or album.

For anyone puzzled by the inscription, this is a pontefract cake:

pontefract_cakes__58121[1].jpg

Niadem’s Ghost: In Sheltered Winds: A) TEDDY FIRS IS HIBERNATING RIGHT AT THE HEART OF PLIMMERPRIME. B) TEDDY, GET UP THOSE DAMN STAIRS, WILL YOU?
    Ozric Tentacles: Pungent Effulgent: A) IT’S ALL DONE WITH MIRRORS B) KNOW WHAT i MEAN?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Vinyl boots used to have some funny ones. I have a Yes (iirc) boot with "how do you keep a Black Sabbath fan busy? (over)" on both sides.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Joe Walsh - So What, Side A: "THAT'S NO BANANY, THAT'S MY NOZE"